News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith OHalloran

Nematodes
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:33:49 PM »
I have recently heard of two clubs having problems with their greens and Nematodes. I had never heard of these worms before. Can anyone discuss their prevalence? Or how they are treated?

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Nematodes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »
When I'm back in front of my computer tomorrow, I will go into detail. We are injecting a gas called "curfew" on Monday to the fairways. I will post pictures.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »
There were certainly threads on this three or four years ago if you can search the site. Short version, the chemical that gets rid of them most effectively is now banned in California. Don't know about other places. Nematodes suck.

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »

They don't actually suck, I think they chew ...

The nematodes (pronounced /ˈnɛmətoʊdz/) or roundworms (phylum Nematoda) are the most diverse phylum of pseudocoelomates, and one of the most diverse of all animals. Nematode species are very difficult to distinguish; over 28,000 have been described,[1] of which over 16,000 are parasitic. It has been estimated that the total number of nematode species might be approximately 1,000,000.[2] Unlike cnidarians or flatworms, roundworms have a digestive system that is like a tube with openings at both ends.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,21441.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,22084.0.html

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Brett Morris

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »
Keith,

Nematodes are common in sandy soils and while some could be classed as beneficial, the main concern in turf management is the root knot nematode.  Turf can stand a certain amount of nematodes within a given volume of soil before the threshold is reached and turf damage occurs.  They affect turf health by attaching themselves to the roots, and when in large volumes can out-compete the turf by stripping nutrient from the plant.  This in turn can lead to secondary disease or pest concerns for turf as it does not have the strength to compete.

The main control for many years was Nemacur.  I'm not 100% sure on the rules, but I think it is banned in certain states in the US including California where nematode problems have affected a number clubs with predominately Poa greens.  As such, a number of re-conversions to bentgrass have been undertaken.  Here in Australia, Nemacur is not available for sale any longer for golf courses.  There have been a number of new alternatives such as Curfew as Anthony mentioned earlier, plus a newer product called Nortica which relies on an increase of beneficial bacteria over an approximate 2 year period to enshroud the turf root and fight off the nematodes trying to attach.

Brett.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 07:36:21 PM »
Thanks for the responses. It seemed odd to go all this time without having heard of them, and hear of two courses in a matter of weeks.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:51:17 PM »
Keith H. -

Nematodes love poa and flourish is cool, damp climates. They have caused damage for years on poa greens in the San Francisco Bay Area and on the Monterey Peninsula, which is the primary reason many of the courses in those areas have replaced their poa greens with bent grass. It remains to be seen how successful those courses will be in keeping the poa from working its way back into the greens.

DT   

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 11:08:24 PM »
A course in my area Shaker Ridge has a problem with nematodes.

http://www.shakerridge.com/#

I have many friends there and I am told they need to rebuild all the greens?

I would love to hear what the knowledgeable crew here has to say about the issue?  What options they have in treating the problem?

While I assume they are getting good advice on the issue I certainly am aware that sometimes the best solutions aren't always known to all or the latest solution is not always heard about?

I'll pass on what I learn as I would hate to see the club make the wrong decisions. 

Private golf in the area is already under significant pressure and the cost and inconvienience of rebuilding 18 greens could prove fatal.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Bill Seitz

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:37:44 PM »
I was a Poli-Sci major, so I can't say I took any classes in this area, but my undergraduate alma mater has an entire department based on the study of nematodes.
http://nematology.ucr.edu/

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:44:19 PM »
Keith (if that is in fact your name),

I have to admit that when I saw this thread title and saw your name that I expected it was going to be about the unwanted consequences of one of your recent sexual conquests.

Alas, your discussion of worms is limited in scope to those found on golf courses.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 06:01:25 AM »
The following are a few links about nematodes and how they canbe treated. We have tried the biological Multiguard, Econem and Nortica and VERY little, if any results. Curfew is injected into the soil, but does not come at a cheap price. Though, when going at label rates of the biological sprayables, it is actually cheaper.

http://tpcsawgrassmaintenance.blogspot.com/2011/08/stadium-curfew-application-to-greens.html

http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/Article.aspx?article_id=71013

The second article, I was a part of. Unfortunately, the photos are not posted, but I will post some after the application on Monday.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
Seems as if curfew is not allowed in NY.  I am not sure the present chemical they use but it is no longer made or allowed in NY?

What else should be considered besides rebuilding all the greens?

Dan

Also I couldn't access the Golfcourseindusty.com article?

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
We had a product called "Curfew" injected into the soil on Monday by licenced contractors. It removes everything inthe soil-mole crickets, nematodes, and numerous other bugs. Here are several photos of what the machines looks like and also the turf.

Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 08:04:55 AM »
When I was at The Vineyard Club this spring, I learned that they were actually IMPORTING nematodes to help combat grubs, since they are not allowed to use pesticides or herbicides on the course.  They receive them in a gel package, mix it with water, and put them out with a sprayer [after taking the screens off!].

Somehow I don't think Martha's Vineyard would allow Curfew.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 08:10:11 AM »
Tom,
  You are right, there are beneficial nematodes, no question and in large populations, actually can limit the amount of damage that the negative ones do.
  And you are 100% correct...there is no way that it would be allowed on Marthas Vineyard, but you really dont see mass nematodes issues like you do in GA, SC, NC and FL.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

David Cronheim

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 11:08:18 AM »
I had never heard of them until yesterday when I read our greens superintendent's report that mentioned we had them. We've had a very wet summer here in the Northeast. Here's what he had to say (and by the way - he's an absolutely marvelous greenskeeper, formerly the head assistant at Oakmont and he helps prepare USGA sites, so I put great stock in what he says):

Following rapid turf decline on the putting green, #4-#6 and #18, we performed extensive evaluation and testing and have been
diagnosed with turf parasitic nematodes. Nematodes are microscopic worms that, when present in very high populations, feed
on and destroy turfgrass roots. Small populations of nematodes are common in all soils, but very high populations that cause
turf damage are somewhat rare. The symptoms expressed by the nematodes are very hard to diagnose, and laboratory analysis is
imperative to confirm diagnosis. Our current nematode populations are approximately 7x the damage threshold which went undetected until the week of August 15, 2011 when test results were received. They were detected at this point as symptoms of damage were evident on the turf. Based on the volume of nematodes, our populations represent an accumulation over several years that have gone unnoticed until this point.

As a result, we will have to significantly alter our current management practices on these putting greens. We will be raising
mowing heights, mowing less often, rolling less often, syringing more often, and foliar fertilizing on a very regular basis. You
may see a noticeable decrease in green speed due to the aforementioned agronomic adjustments. We are yet to experience any
damage on tees and fairways and probably will not at this point due to a higher height of cut which reduces stress on turf plant.
The best way to manage nematodes is by relieving all stresses from the turf. Since the rootzone of the effected turfgrass is
totally absent, all water and nutrition needed for plant survival must be manually applied to the plant. The turf is unable to
extract any material from the soil. In addition to experiencing damage from the nematodes, the plant is now extremely
vulnerable to other fungi and insects.

Managing nematode populations is very difficult. We must fortify turf health to help withstand the feeding of the nematodes.
However, since nematodes are a parasite, they are active when they have a viable, healthy host species (i.e. healthy turfgrass
roots). Damage is most evident during the summer as environmental stresses further weaken turf health and vigor. Nematode
populations vary widely from green to green and are influenced by countless factors. Nematodes are virtually impossible to
predict and pose a significant turfgrass issue.

We would like to thank everyone for their patience and support as we work to correct this situation. We are currently making
every possible adjustment in our management program to minimize the severity and volume of the nematode damage. We will
keep everyone notified regarding future nematode developments. We greatly appreciate everyone’s support and understanding
regarding this issue. Rest assured that the entire Grounds Department is working tirelessly to overcome this problem.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back