News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re: Getting more Golf Digest Raters
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2011, 02:08:42 AM »
Steve, how's your golf game these days?

Jud_T

« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2011, 09:11:32 AM »
Steve,

A musician and golfer?  Solid!  Do you still compete at all?  Love to here a more detailed discussion of the course and see a few photos as we're always getting pigeonholed here as not giving Fazio a fair shake.  Aside form your club, what are your top 10 favorite courses you've played, either competitively or for fun? Oh, and welcome to Thunderdome....
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:17:02 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sean Leary

« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »
Steve,

A musician and golfer?  Solid!  Do you still compete at all?  Love to here a more detailed discussion of the course and see a few photos as we're always getting pigeonholed here as not giving Fazio a fair shake.  Aside form your club, what are your top 10 favorite courses you've played, either competitively or for fun? Oh, and welcome to Thunderdome....

Jud,
He listed his 10 above.

Jud_T

« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2011, 11:22:04 AM »
oh, sorry.  Nice to see a real stick appreciate a place like Shoreacres for once.  Wonder how many times the driver came out of the bag there... ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve Scott

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2011, 06:28:32 AM »
Steve, how's your golf game these days?
Jim...my game is still pretty good and I still love to compete although I don't do it as much anymore...play pro ams with members and around The Ridge more than I play events...really enjoy being a PGA professional and helping others on the lesson tee, etc.  Certainly a different life than playing for a living which is becoming increasingly more difficult with all the long bombers out there....thanks for checking in.  Neat to be a part of GCA and learning about architecture and trying to spread the word a little bit about my club...

David Harshbarger

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »
Good on you for spreading the word here and working to further your club.  Keep it up and don't let the naysayers deter you.  Personally, I find the smileys help in this medium.   ;)

Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »
I know that Dave Tepper started a separate thread, but here again is the link to the GC article:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/randall-mell/no-regrets-for-steve-scott/?hj=xfs
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David_Madison

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2011, 10:16:40 PM »
I played with Steve at The Ridge at Back Brook last week. First, he can still really play. Threw a very easy 32 at me on the front nine and then eased off the pedal. It was interesting watching Steve play, as he still has and probably always will have a knack for getting the ball into the hole. There's just something about a playing professional's game -- even when they aren't striking it perfectly, somehow they still squeeze out a score. 

As for the course, I was pleased by all that I saw and experienced. The Ridge is spread over a big, rolling beautiful piece of land, very peaceful and quiet and with some very nice vistas. There was none of the Tom Fazio arts and crafts with bunkering or over-shaping. He really let the land do the work, as the holes fall naturally on the site. It was a refreshing departure from other Fazio courses that I've played. The playing corridors were wide, with options for playing the holes in different ways depending upon your choice of tees and cup locations. It's a course that can be played over and over again and you'll find new things each time you play.

Overall a great day on a beautiful and interesting course with an absolute top flight gentleman in Steve Scott.

Steve Scott

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2011, 12:54:33 PM »
Thank you, David, for your wonderful description of our course and your nice comments about my (inconsistent) game. 

Hopefully others will take note and stop by for a visit.  We still have a good 4-5 weeks of nice weather ahead of us so if anyone is interested I am am up to playing with you!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »
Scott, I'm coming into this a little late and haven't read all the prior posts, so I may have missed this point, but I am curious why you are interested in your club's magazine rankings.  Participants on this site have opinions all over the place on rankings.  I don't want to get into that -- what I'm wondering about is your perspective on rankings and what that might do, or not, for your club.  By way of background, I belong to club in a major urban center that's making a comeback -- I think that's fair to say.  We've got what I believe is a great members' course, but a little under the radar, and with a checkered past.  We're tried, and been somewhat successful, to raise our profile in the magazine rankings, starting with Golfweek.  Although the payoff is hard to determine, I would venture that the Golfweek rankings (which we've made known) have helped raise our profile, with the result that more potential members see us as an attractive golf club option.  After the meltdown in 2008 we were below capacity, but now we're back to a waiting list.  You can't buy the rankings, but you can get raters out there to take a look -- that's all you can ask.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:51:24 PM by Carl Johnson »

Jud_T

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2011, 11:01:05 AM »
I would venture that the Golfweek rankings (which we've made known) have helped raise our profile, with the result that more potential members see us as an attractive golf club option.

Carl,

You just answered your own question...

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2011, 08:30:44 PM »
Steve- you stll hold the course record at Pine Tree and your scorecard and photo are still in the Men's lockeroom
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Steve Scott

« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
Thanks Tony....I had it going that day!

Steve Scott

« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »
I would venture that the Golfweek rankings (which we've made known) have helped raise our profile, with the result that more potential members see us as an attractive golf club option.

Carl,

You just answered your own question...
[/quote

Like many clubs these days we would like to become an even more attractive option for people to come and enjoy their golf in a peaceful, private setting.  We have a course that day in and day out can compete with anybody on turf quality and aesthetics as our owner does not cut corners.  The issue we have is that we are not in a large metropolitan area which hurts us as far as traffic flow.  Those who know us enjoy the experience but many do not know we even exist.   My goal is to simply spread the word and let you decide if you enjoyed the experience or not.  Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my query !!!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2011, 08:48:40 PM »
Steve- you stll hold the course record at Pine Tree and your scorecard and photo are still in the Men's lockeroom

Anthony,

Scott's play of # 18 was emblematic of a magical day for him.

If you've ever played Pine Tree, from the gold tees, you realize what an incredible round it was.

I think he was playing with Johnny Martin and Danny Quinn, I forget the 4th.
But, when you look at that scorecard, you're in awe.

Steve,

I still remember your lesson at Hidden Creek.
I'll be visiting there over the next few weeks as the weather gets cooler in Northern NJ.

Good Luck at Back Brook, and don't let the turkeys, including me, get to you on this site. ;D

Steve Scott

« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2011, 08:55:43 PM »
The fourth that day was Dan Fabian...

Pat,  Hidden Creek is a fun walk in the park... Enjoy!  Stop by The Ridge when you want...you have an open invitation...

David_Madison

« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2011, 10:44:11 PM »
Pat,

What did Steve score in the process of breaking the course record? Seeing him shoot 32 for our first nine without hitting it really all that well showed me that Steve has an unbelievable ability to get the ball in the bucket.

Steve - - And far more important, has anyone beaten my one-hole course record on Back Brook #9 yet? Between that and a couple of other fortuitous happenings that day, it's obvious that you also know how to make the magic rub off onto those who tee it up with you.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:41 AM »
Fresh off the camera.....

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

PCCraig

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »
That's one heck of a 60!
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2011, 10:04:31 AM »
Great round but does anyone when playing with friends fill out first and last names?  I'd like to see the original card with bets and such.

Ed Tutwiler shooting 63 with two guys shooting 98 in 1975 may be a more impressive record.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
Don't know if anyone has brought this up in this thread.  If so, it probably bears considering again anyway. 

In the 1996 final match.  Steve was 2 up on the 34th hole.  He had just putted out, when Tiger leaned over to place his own ball.  Tiger had marked it over a putter head or two, to get out of Steve's line.  But according to the announcers, who included Johnny Miller, Tiger was about to place his ball, without moving it back to the correct position. 

If Tiger had not placed his ball correctly, and then putted, the announcers said he would have lost the hole.  Steve would have won the match, 3 and 2. 

But Steve saw what Tiger was doing, stopped, and reminded him to move his ball over.  Tiger did so, made the putt, cutting the lead to 1 up with 2 to go.  We all know how the match ended, in extra holes. 

Maybe Tiger would have caught his mistake in time.  But Steve's sportsmanship avoided what could have been a major golf controversy, and helped Tiger cement his growing legend. 

Jud_T

« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2011, 11:31:12 AM »
From what I understand 60 is a ridiculously good round at Pine Tree.  What's the rating and slope from the tips?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2011, 01:00:56 PM »
That is crazy good.

How would you tell your buddies you shot a 69 in a friendly weekend match and got absolutely destroyed.  They probably wouldn't believe you.  ;D

Sean Leary

« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »
60 is crazy good anywhere.

Brian Noser

« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »
I had a chance.to play with Steve a couple weeks ago. It was a good time, he was a great host. Course was fun and in great shape for the crappy weather they had weeks before I was there,  there are some very good and interesting holes out there, I did not get a chance for pics due to weather, rainy and windy. If you are in the area I would go see him and play a round. Oh ya he is a good player as well but enough has been said about that...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back