News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

How many par 3's have you played where
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »
the tees allow for drastically different angles of attack into the green ?

I seem to recall that an early green at Bandon had a tee far right, say at 2 o'clock and another tee, more widely used, at 6 o'clock.

This created an entirely angle/method for play.

# 13 at NGLA might qualify if a tee left of # 12 green is introduced into the footpad.

Matthew Petersen

Re: How many par 3's have you played where
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »
I can think of a couple that I haven't played but the only one I have played that comes to mind in #17 at Sunridge Canyon in Fountain Hills, AZ.

There is a longer tee left and high on a ridge, and a lower, shorter tee probably some 40 yards to the right of that. The green is somewhat of a boomerang shape around a big front bunker. Drastically different holes from different tees.

Ken Fry

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
There are three par 3 holes I've played with different angles into the green:  #2 at The Dunes Club, #3 at Angel's Crossing and #9 at Kingsley.  All have about a 90 degree difference between the teeing grounds.

Ken

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
The hole that comes to my mind quickly is the 3rd at Royal New Kent.  I've only played it once so I really don't know how much of a difference it makes, but there are 7 different tee boxes.  A quick glance of the yardage book suggests about a 50° difference.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:22:01 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Cory Lewis

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »
The Ridge at Back Brook has a par 3 on the back nine with tees at 90 angles from each other, one is relatively flat, the other is significantly elevated, pretty cool hole.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Shane Wright

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:37:29 PM »
Ballyneal has some awesome variety on hole #11.  It is a completely different hole depending on where you tee off.  It can either be an uphill par 3 with a partial blind landing area and a deep front right bunker looming,

or it has a tee box higher up that is more level with the green (not quite) that brings in the trouble and fall off to the left. 

Brian Freeman

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 12:45:54 PM »
#6 at Tobacco Road.  The distance across the set of tee boxes is as long or longer than from the tee to the green.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »
A very good example of this is the short 8th at St Andrews Castle course... All 5 sets of tees play about 140 yards with the "back" tees being furthest right (hardest angle of attack) and the other tees progressing steadily left instead of forward...

A good idea... difficult to execute and done well in this case...

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
Hole #14 at The Prairie Club (Dunes) is about 90 degrees different from the blacks/whites.

Holes #9 and 15 at Chambers Bay can offer pretty different angles, though nowhere near 90 degrees.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 01:53:13 PM »

I seem to recall that an early green at Bandon had a tee far right, say at 2 o'clock and another tee, more widely used, at 6 o'clock.

Which hole, #2?  I seem to remember discussion about the tees being moved from a S to N line to a E to W line.  Not sure if both angles were ever in play at the same time. 

Only other hole I can think of where multiple angles would be an option is 12, if you teed off somewhere over by the 13th tee.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »
First one that's comes to mind is another Strantz, the 14th at True Blue. Don't have the savvy to reprint the yardage book page to illustrate the various tees and angles. Suffice to say, looking back from green, the tees offer a near amphitheater-type view.

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 02:17:43 PM »
Pacific Dunes 10 is an obvious one...Tee used depends on which green on 9 is used that day.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
#6 at Tobacco Road.  The distance across the set of tee boxes is as long or longer than from the tee to the green.

GCA'er Brent Hutto likes this hole!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »
8 at Deal has several tees that give the hole a great deal of flexibility.  Reason number 16,384 why at Deal is not a poor hole.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jim Tang

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
The 3rd at Black Sheep has about a 90* difference between two different sets of tees.  Each shot plays down the hill.

The first box allows for a 200 yard shot and the green is open in the front.

The second box allows for a 170 yard shot and a greenside bunker must be carried to reach the putting surface.

It is a cool hole.  Each box gives the hole a totally different feel, and brings a variety of wind conditions into play.

Steve Kline

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 02:26:31 PM »
#5 at Talamore (Pinehurst) has about a 90 degree difference. I believe the yardage is about the same and both are quite a bit downhill but from the left tee the green slopes away and from the right tee the slope is left to right.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »
A very good example of this is the short 8th at St Andrews Castle course... All 5 sets of tees play about 140 yards with the "back" tees being furthest right (hardest angle of attack) and the other tees progressing steadily left instead of forward...

A good idea... difficult to execute and done well in this case...

One of the better holes on the course in my opinion especially from the far right tee, when it seems the green drops off into the sea from that angle.

Unfortunately those tees are hardly ever used as there were quite few problems with visitors not being able to find the tee boxes when the rough was grown up. Mainly due to them being over the top of the mound and unsighted from the 7th green. Ridiculous I know but I worked on the green staff there last summer and we were told not to use it if possible as it slowed up play too much. I still moved it over there when I knew I was playing later that day!

They are now having to extend the main tees on the left because they couldn't cope with the wear as the far right hand tees were hardly ever used......

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »
The 13th hole at Calippe Preserve in Pleasanton, CA has a very wide teeing area. My guess is it covers an area of roughly 45 degrees.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
7th at Royal Birkdale - totally different from championship tee and visitors' tee. Some 9-hole courses in this area have alternative tees which make huge differences - not only par threes.

Of course, there is the opposite at TOC, where visitors play the 11th to a temporary green for most of the winter, not at all like the real thing.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 02:44:25 PM »
Both the 7th and more so the 16th at Barnbougle Dunes have a range of angles to the green from the varying tees.

The 16th also has massive difference in height in the tees as well.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 02:57:46 PM »
In addition to several of those already mentioned, The Mines in Grand Rapids also has a par three with 90* off-set tees.  What's interesting here is that in addition to the different angles, the hole plays to substantially different distances depending on the tee selected.

Here's the hole description on the course's site:  http://minesgolfcourse.com/hole11.htm

michael damico

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 03:07:50 PM »
I didn't see any of the CO folks put their 2 cents in, but out at Murphy Creek, hole 5 has about a 40-45 degree difference in the tee boxes

What I didn't fully understand was the fact that it appears as though the forward tees have a harder shot: a forced carry over a waste bunker and a formal bunker with no bail-out option.

The blues and blacks had a bail out area to the right and a completely different angle into the green. It was not necessarily an easier or less demanding shot as the plateaued green edge did not allow for the ball to be fed into the green, rather requiring a high, soft shot to hold any pin located on the right side of the green. Not exactly easier than the forward tees, but psychologically it seemed tougher for the weaker and/or shorter hitting player.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Greg Tallman

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »
7 and 17 at Cabo del Sol Ocean

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »
Pat,

I posted this years ago, but there is a course in the Dubai area, a Desmund Muirhead one IIRC, that has a 360 degree par 3.  The island in the middle being the green and supposedly the tees can be setup anywhere around it.  Doesn't get much more diverse than this I think!!  ;)

Kirk Gill

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »
The fifth at Engh's Fossil Trace course uses angle into the green instead of distance to differentiate the difficulty of the hole (in fact the white tee shot is slightly longer than that from the black). From the white you're hitting into the length of the green with bunkering to each side. From the black you're hitting towards a shallower green with a pot bunker short and bunkering long. It's an interesting way to deal with a hole that seems to have required some shoe-horning to get onto the course.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back