News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Like Oil and Water
« on: January 23, 2002, 03:08:16 PM »
Found this very interesting article in this week's Golfworld:

Like oil and water

Links courses and rough don't mix -- and shouldn't have to
The shame of it all is that Paraparaumu Beach GC, venue for the Tiger Woods Southern Hemisphere Invitational -- a.k.a. the New Zealand Open -- is a great links course. Blind shots. Rumpled fairways. Tight lies begging you to hit long irons. Small greens with steep fall-offs on either side. It's got it all. Sadly, it's got even more than that. In addition to the linksland features mentioned above, the boyhood home of Woods' bag-carrier, Steve Williams, was this past week almost totally covered in long grass.

Recreating the scenario that ruined the 1999 British Open at Carnoustie, the organizers -- fearful, no doubt, that someone might break 60 -- narrowed the "fairways" to the point where proper links golf was lost.

This was most noticeable at the 442-yard 17th, a hole that gave the players a distinct choice from the tee. The problem was the thick rough separating the two "fairways." Go left and the ball skipped across the fairway into more rough. Go right and the angle into the hole was a lot more difficult. If there was no rough in the middle, the players would have been able to hit a wide variety of shots from the tee.

It is an unfortunate side effect of the distances golf balls fly in the modern game. Too many people in influential positions have decided long grass on a golf course is the only way to make courses difficult. Not better, just difficult.

Such a strategy ignores the fact a true links does not need long grass. Protection from low scores should come from the speed of the greens, strategic pin positioning, creative bunkering and, of course, the wind. Rough is merely redundant. And boring. There are exceptions. Think Augusta National (before the introduction of the "first cut"). Think Pinehurst No. 2. Think St. Andrews. Think Royal Dornoch. On all of those courses, short grass is used as a hazard. Long grass on those courses would, ironically, make them play easier than they do now.

What happens when a ball misses a green at Pinehurst? It doesn't get stuck in a fringe of ever-lengthening grass. It runs away from the green by as much as 20 yards in places, leaving a much trickier recovery shot than familiar flop shot from greenside rough. In other words, you get difficult shots from easy lies rather than easy shots from difficult lies.

What happens when a drive at St. Andrews is hit down the wrong line? Invariably, it will land on a tightly cut fairway then agonizingly meander off into sand perhaps 50 yards from where it first landed. Which is what you get when you combine contoured fairways with intelligent bunkering.

These examples of the way golf should be played are increasingly ignored -- making it more difficult to identify the best players. With everyone reduced to hacking from long grass, the chances of skilled players separating themselves from the competition by superior shotmaking are reduced.

On a true links, no one can control the final destination of his ball to the same extent as on a soft parkland course. The undulations and predominance of wind mean the links test is total. No matter how well you drive the ball you will be forced to play from a variety of stances and lies. In the long term, the better player will be better able to deal with those circumstances.

In a typical round you are asked to deal with all kinds of bad bounces and "bad luck." Links golf exacerbates the vagaries of fortune we all endure in this maddening game. At least it used to.

January 18, 2002
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tony Ristola

Re: Like Oil and Water
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2002, 07:47:42 PM »
Intersting...I caught some clips of the tournament and saw a little hay but didn't realize the course was Carnoustied or US Opened.

Perhaps the conditioning was due to Tiger's caddy claiming the year before that Tiger could very well shoot 59 with his knowledge of the course.  The conditioning surely explains the big difference between his caddy's claims and Tiger's (and the field's) results.

Paul Richards

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2002, 04:12:36 AM »
Tony:

Would it have been so horrible for Tiger to shoot 59? ???

Actually, I think they would get so much publicity that it
would behoove them to have encouraged this! 8)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2002, 05:01:24 AM »
Paul and Tony:

Interesting?!! That might very well be one of the most sophisitcated, and, yes interesting pieces I've ever seen and ever seen on here!

Who wrote that?

Not that long ago the green chairman at Merion and I were talking in general about that very thing!--short grass used strategically as a "hazard"!! He said he found it in something Doak wrote--maybe on his website!

Certainly, short grass used this way is on many courses in the world but most do not look at it the way this article describes it!

This is basically the same thing or a part of the same thing or at least a necessary requirement as Max Behr's "Lines of Charm" concept which was to put hazards in and around the "line of instinct" (exactly where the golfer wanted to hit the ball) which consequently created the alternatives, the "lines of charm" in fact! The lines of charm are really just the "options", the optional routes!

Behr believed this created in golf the ultimate "freedom" in the mind and makeup of the golfer, gave him a sense of freedon of expression to very much find his own way, to create his own strategies, in other words, mostly or maybe completely separated from any man-made architectural limitations or "shot dictations"!

To do this the "lines of charm" were essential but the course SHOULD ALSO be devoid of ROUGH as that only restricted the effectiveness of this overall or general concept! Behr believed too that the way to protect targets or make interesting lines and stratetegies was to use (I suppose eventually) angles and orientations (like the green etc) where liabilities (protective features, problems, obstacles, hazards) were set to protect the targets or eventual target progressively, and not necessarily immediately! He talked about FUTURE liabilities and "planning for them progressively" well before facing them. When you think about a par 3 or even a par 4, for instance, I don't really know what all he had in mind but the concept is interesting! A par 5 would seem to work the best for this! But I guess when you factor in the VARIATIONS in wind etc it makes more sense on the shorter holes.

Obviously his idea was to make golfers do things that were to prepare best for things to come later, even if it wasn't at all evident at the present time! What better way could there be to make shots relate to one another, even if there didn't appear to be an immediate reason? How could there be a better way to arrange real "strategic" golf?

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2002, 06:10:59 PM »
TEPaul:

Sorry I tossed the article after I posted it.

And searching the Golfworld website, I could no longer find
it.

Just find the latest issue - it's in the World section.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2002, 06:15:09 PM »
Paul:  Absolutely not...but it seems the membership didn't like the idea if they Carnoustied the place.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2002, 06:30:21 PM »
Let me add to the above:  I think the one way for the public to take notice of how the game is out of control is when a series of 59's are shot in one season.

Paul Richards

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2002, 06:40:15 PM »
Tony:

Of course, you are right.

However, it seems that this tournament ONLY cared about
the publicity that Tiger would generate.  Hence, what
better way to get a lot of publicity than to "let" Tiger
fire a 56, 57, 58, or 59?

Brian Walshe

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2002, 06:56:32 PM »
TEP,

Tom Doak's essay on the use of short grass as a hazard is at http://www.doakgolf.com/essays/besthazards.html

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2002, 07:14:33 PM »
Brian:

Thanks!

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2002, 12:15:09 PM »
John Huggan wrote it - is he a regular writer for Golf Week? If not, he should be!

Seeing such sentiments expressed outside of this site  ;) is both nice and encouraging.

Rich Goodale (Guest)

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2002, 12:30:27 PM »
Ran

Huggan is (or was) the chief golf correspondent for the Scotsman, Edinburgh's daily.  Worked at GD in the States for a number of years.  A low handicap player out of Dunbar, and a very good writer.

Very right about the use of short grass as a hazard.  In my experience, links courses sort out the men from the boys the LESS rough that is allowed to grow.

However, from what I read (mostly on this site), Tiger's problems were on the greens, which were controversial, to say the least--non-linksy, to say a bit more.

Anybody have any more 1st hand reports?

MikeClayton

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2002, 01:09:25 PM »
John is here this week at Lake Karrinyup and unfortunatly having to write all the same stuff. We need more like him because the rest of the press tent -with a couple of exceptions- have no clue.One even equated the course to RM and Kingston Heath .
Greg Turner is staying with Huggan this week and his 'its not the ignorance that astounds me its the extent of it' quote has been used once again.

Rich Goodale (Guest)

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2002, 01:13:34 PM »
Mike

For those of us who missed the Turner quote the first time around, can you give us some context?

Thanks

Rich

MikeClayton

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2002, 01:23:48 PM »

John is here this week at Lake Karrinyup and unfortunatly having to write all the same stuff. We need more like him because most of the rest of the press tent have no clue. One even equated the course to RM and Kingston Heath which is a horrifying insult to both.
Greg Turner is staying with Huggan this week and his quote 'its not the ignorance that astounds me its the extent of it' has been in use once again.

MikeClayton

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2002, 01:32:58 PM »
Sorry about the repeat
Rich
No context really -Turns applies it to golf as well as many other aspects of life. Actually it came origionally from his older brother Brian.
There are 3 brothers who all represented NZ in sport.Glenn captained the cricket team,Brian played hockey and Greg golf.

Rich Goodale (Guest)

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2002, 01:43:29 PM »
Mike

Unless you are being incredibly subtle and ironic, I assume that your computer malfunctioned and resent your previous message.

The quote I was referring to was "its not the ignorance that astounds me its the extent of it."  To what "it" does Greg refer?

Thanks

Rich

Mike Clayton

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2002, 05:21:15 PM »
Rich

There is no significance to 'it' .Could be a club committee ,a politican,anything really.
   Hope this explains.

Mike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back