News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Semi OT - Instagram App
« on: June 27, 2011, 02:26:51 PM »
A friend recently introduced me to this App which lets you use your IPhone (or various other smart phones) to upload and share photos with friends. In playing around with it, I took a few pictures of golf courses this past weekend and uploaded the photos. Considering all the avid golf photographers on this site, it seems like it would be an interesting way for GCAers to quickly share some interesting golf course photos between each other.

Is anyone on it already?

For more info:

http://instagr.am/
H.P.S.

Howard Riefs

Re: Semi OT - Instagram App
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
I started using Instagram a couple months ago (username: Hriefs) and have quickly added it to my social networking portfolio. While most of my photos tend to be architecture-related (not difficult in Chicago), I've posted a number of golf course images as well. 

The editors/writers at Golf Digest are also starting to use Instagram, notably Matt Ginella (mginella) and director of photography Christian Ioss (cioss). For example, here are some images that Ioss posted this month:

Montauk Downs:  http://instagr.am/p/GX6BQ/
Congressional, 10th tee: http://instagr.am/p/F5jwp/
Congressional, Rory on range: http://instagr.am/p/GBXwE/
Pound Ridge GC: http://instagr.am/p/FgdyZ/

The following NY Times article is a good primer on the functionality and appeal of Instagram:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/04/technology/04photosharing.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:49:32 PM »
Howard,

I've just added you as a contact on Instagram. I'm under 'PatCCraig.'
H.P.S.

Joe Grasty

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »
Yes, I'm on Instagram (jgrasty).  A few pictures of Grapevine Golf Course are out there.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »
Howard,

I've just added you as a contact on Instagram. I'm under 'PatCCraig.'

Thanks, Pat.  I followed you back.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »
Golf Digest is doing some cool things with Instagram. 

For starters, it recently started posting photos to Instagram via the @golfdigestmag handle. 

More interesting, is that Instagram users can now cross-post photos on the Golf Digest site by using the #golfdigest hashtag. The photos are then displayed at:

http://www.golfdigest.com/special-sections/instagram-photos

Is anybody else besides Joe and Pat now using this app?  I look forward to following a few more GCAers.  (I'm at @hriefs)

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »
I started using Instagram not so long ago, @podged, a couple of nice recent photos of The Valley Club are up.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
Has anyone else signed up for Instagram?
H.P.S.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »
I'm not a fan of Instagram, I like the service, I'm not a big lover of what they have done to aid in the downfall of quality photography. I'll put this in GCA terms... Photography used to be like building a golf course a century ago, if you had a good skills and a good subject (property) you could make a beautiful thing. Then with digital cameras and Photoshop, anyone with a camera and some basic software skill could create an image that was either an improvement of what the camera produced or a major embarrassment to what make a good photo, Like what Pete Dye did at Sawgrass or HH, nice work, but others could have ruined those sites. Then you have Instagram that allows you to take crappy photos apply horrible filters and pass it off as if you are artistic and talented. Many people today are taking wedding photos with Instagram :o, it will be a vivid reminder of this period of time (like Polaroids). To me that makes Instagram the Liberty National of photography, Cool to look at first but really just a big abortion of a concept for the betterment of people and something you will laugh at years down the road.

My rant is now done.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Josh Tarble

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 02:03:20 PM »
I've recently signed up for it...I really need to start using it more often.

It seems funny to me to post stuff when I have no one following.  I should probably look at it as more of an enjoyment thing.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »
I'm on there as jeffshelman.

Like most people, I tend to take pictures of golf courses, baseball stadiums, food and beer. But not always in that order.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:31:49 PM by Jeff Shelman »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
I'm on Instagram at TimGavrich. I only dabble in it but I have a few pics of True Blue and Heritage Club in Pawleys in my stream.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

John McCarthy

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »
My problem with instagram is that everytime I take a nice golf course pic it turns the golf carts into fixies and all the caddies have ironic facial hair.

@toomanyhipsters
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
A friend recently introduced me to this App which lets you use your IPhone (or various other smart phones) to upload and share photos with friends. In playing around with it, I took a few pictures of golf courses this past weekend and uploaded the photos. Considering all the avid golf photographers on this site, it seems like it would be an interesting way for GCAers to quickly share some interesting golf course photos between each other.

Is anyone on it already?

My 13 and 10 year old daughters are. 

They've probably had it for 9 months or so.  So now that old fogies like you know about, it will probably become instantly uncool.

Check the date of my original post, it looks like Howard and I were a little ahead of the game ;)
H.P.S.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 09:28:42 PM »

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 10:31:02 PM »
I'm thedormgolfer on instagram. I've got a bunch of pics from the summer up there and will probably continue to throw golf pics up half the time. I feel obligated to the number of followers I picked up after Golf Digest put my picture up to keep putting up golf pics :D
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »
Greatest thing ever. Self absorbed photo whores can share with each other without polluting the world of people who just want great memories. I just spent four days in Rome and did not take a single picture. I did the world a favor. Come on people, follow suit cause no one cares about where you been or what you seen.

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 11:35:38 PM »
I just spent four days in Rome.

No one cares about where you have been.
H.P.S.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 02:41:43 AM »
Greatest thing ever. Self absorbed photo whores can share with each other without polluting the world of people who just want great memories. I just spent four days in Rome and did not take a single picture. I did the world a favor. Come on people, follow suit cause no one cares about where you been or what you seen.

John,
For the most part I'm in agreement with you. In fact, I believe there was someone who put up a link saying that taking pictures weakened our memory of what was once there.

But for the sake of GCA, I find that it's incredibly valuable to take pictures. I loved on one caddie's blog a comparison picture he had of one of the bunkers at Ballyneal over the course of 7 years. It was amazing how much it had changed, and the original photograph allowed them to restore the original bunker. Thank god people took pictures of ANGC when it opened, for if that didn't happen when it opened, we'd have no idea what it used to look like. So for that purpose, and for referral to make sure my memory is correct, I find myself taking lots of pictures of courses.

But my family trip through Italy on a cruise will always be remembered for the longstanding battle between my father and I over how many pictures we were taking  ;D

So my Instagram is largely a single picture from major events (and the only one I take during it) and the various pictures which I have taken from golf courses. I think my memories are still in tact.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:03 AM »
Entertaining does not equal value. None of you who take pictures while you are playing golf or touring museums add value to the art. Some of my favorite memories from school are from being amused and annoyed by clowns posing and posturing. None of that had anything to do with learning. Yes, one person can ruin it for everyone. I'll never know what I have missed by either looking at you or trying not to bust your pic.  
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:17:03 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 12:59:53 PM »
I just spent four days in Rome.

No one cares about where you have been.

Still laughing 😂

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 01:06:21 PM »
Pat's a regular Shecky Greene. I'm glad his new MacKenzie came with a sense of humor. Sure as hell beats a second strap.

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 01:34:00 PM »
Looking back at that it certainly comes off as a bit surly. Sorry.  :-X
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 01:35:16 PM »
Looking back at that it certainly comes off as a bit surly. Sorry.  :-X

It was hilarious and actually made my point.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back