News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

nandoal

PITTSBURGH public golf?
« on: January 26, 2002, 02:16:35 PM »
I'm new again to area and have contracted the golf bug while I was gone. Can somebody help me on some good "public" tracks in Western PA?  We have some great private clubs, but I feel the public route is lacking.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Matt_Ward

Re: PITTSBURGH public golf?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2002, 02:24:05 PM »
Try Quicksilver in Midway, Nemacolin Woodlands Resort (about 60 miles southeast of the Steel City) and play the Pete Dye design. Also, throw in Olde Stonewall the wonderful Hurdzan / Fry layout Ellwood City.

I can't speak to existing fees because the ones I just named require a few $$ to play.

The Pittsburgh area has some great rolling terrain and I'm sure someone more familiar withg the most up-to-date happenings (where are you George Pazin?) can provide more info.

If you're in for a small detour head down to Wheeling (45 minutes away) and play Oglebay Park at Speidel -- the original Trent Jones course is good and the new Palmer / Seay layout is also worth a look. The best part is heading over to their neat driving range and taking in all the scenery.

Hope this helps ... ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2002, 09:31:23 PM »
Hey, somebody asked a question which I actually know a little something about!

There is a lot of good affordable golf in the 'Burgh, especially north of the city.

I heartily second Matt's recommendation of Quicksilver - it's probably my favorite local daily fee. Relatively long, interesting rolling terrain(most outside of western PA might call it severe, but it's just about the only kind of terrain we have) with pretty good greens. Olde Stonewall was also much fun on my one trip round, though I would try to play it off-season: at roughly $85 it's an okay deal, but I don't think I would want to pay in-season rates, which I think are $135.

I haven't played the Madison Club, but I've read good things about it.

One of my other local favorites is Deer Run, a Ron Forse effort north of downtown maybe 45 minutes. Pretty cheap - $28 in season, $14 off season!! to walk, but it's an extremely challenging walk (it would be kind of like walking Inniscrone, to all you eastern PA-ers) - good rolling terrain, good conditions for a low priced daily fee. Average bunkering & greens, but the undulating terrain makes it fun.

Low priced golf (less than $20 to walk 18) north of the Burgh includes:

- North Park(a muni, which I consider my home course) - I love this course, but I'm biased because it's where I learned to play. Still, it's everything you could want in a cheap muni not designed by one of our old favs like Ross or Tillie.

- Pittsburgh North (my nemesis, due to the tree lined fairways)

- Hartman's Deep Valley (not so great, but site of my only hole in one, which I'd be more than happy to bore everyone here about! - just ask)

- Stoughton Acres (perennial second place finisher in GD's nation's best affordable golf list - I think it's $11 to walk 18, might be less!!) This actually is a pretty decent track, but during the summer, it can be a little tough to get on & pretty slow to play.

- Aubrey's Dubsdread (back nine supposedly designed by some local pro to be extremely challenging - it's tough, primarily because it's narrow - don't walk it in June-August unless you're in Lance Armstrong-like condition).

- Oakmont East - Hit a hard hook off the first tee like yours truly & you'll be able to say you hit the second or third fairway on the real Oakmont! This course is kind of wild, the epitome of quirk, with lots of driveable par 4s & some serious hills to hike.

- Avoid Rose Ridge unless your idea of fun of fun is a 6 hour round with a couple 6 packs.

Our private courses are pretty damn good - Oakmont, Fox Chapel, Field Club, Sewickley Heights, Allegheny CC - but you'll have to ask someone else about them. :(

Andrew Bernstein is a very good young golfer from WV who has played lots of western PA courses - he probably knows, no, he definitely knows more than me  - I've only been playing about 5 years, having gotten a late start in the game.

If all this hasn't bored you enough, feel free to email me at sunflowr@usaor.net or call me at (412) 369-7769 (work - I'm usually there) & I'd be happy to talk your ear off, over the phone or over a few cold ones.

If you can get out Monday afternoon (1/28), call me at (412) 401-3747 - 60 degree days in January are not too frequent around here & I'm going to try to take advantage. I'd play Sunday but there is a little game going on that I'm planning on watching.  ;D
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2002, 09:46:22 PM »
I should also mention that Cleveland is really close by, depending on where in the area you live. Tim Weiman certainly knows a lot about Cleveland golf.

Mystic Rock does, in fact, rock, but it's very expensive & pretty tough.

What area do you live in?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2002, 10:30:57 PM »
Nandoal,

I lived in Bethel Park for a year and always enjoyed South Park.  Twenty years ago I paid about $15 to play it.  Most likely it is not much more than $20 now.

One other Pittsburgh public course I enjoy is Oakmont East.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back