News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Golf World 2011 Top 100 courses in England
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
I omitted Carlisle from my list through ignorance. Peter Alliss included it in his Good Golf Guide, describing it as, 'One of the finest parkland courses in the north of England.' If BUDA comes to the far NW a round at Brampton is worth considering - great fun.

Mark

Brampton is fun but not if you're playing it twice in one day. There's some serious climbs there. BTW, I would suggest Carlisle has more of a moorland/heathland feel to it when its dry and running.

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »
First post in too long due to extenuating circumstances. Wentworth West at 9 is a joke, and it's not a funny one!
You think it should be higher or lower Tom?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Paul Nash

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 04:05:39 PM »
First post in too long due to extenuating circumstances. Wentworth West at 9 is a joke, and it's not a funny one!
You think it should be higher or lower Tom?
Lower by a chunk! The East is lovely course and the Edinburgh has some lovely holes. I just don't see many great holes on the West. Haven't played since the latest changes but I like 9 (the run off on the new green looks nice as seen from the train), 10, 11 and 13. 1 is also good, but haven't got much love for the rest, particularly 5, 6 and 14-home. First time I played there I remember staring across the railway tracks and looking at an awesome piece of heathland - didn't realise that it was Sunningdale, well, almost. I can't believe how un-heathland Wentorth is when you see what surrounds it near the train - especially the big patch of heathland that borders 10 and I suspect, 12 and 13. Saying all that, it is still a very nice course in the scheme of things, but a long way shy of number 9 and £360 plus compulsory caddie - 1 round at Wentworth or 36 and lunch at Hankley, Woking, Blackmoor, Hindhead and probably some change. Hmmmm.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back