News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Muskoka is a sleepy cottage region north of Toronto that has quietly become a hotbed for some of Canada's best golf.  I haven't seen too much about Muskoka mentioned on GCA so I thought I would post some photos of a few of the region's golf courses to give an idea of the the type of golf.  I have more photos of the golf courses I posted, so if anyone wants to see them, just ask.

This little region has 6 of Golfweek's top 30 modern golf courses (plenty to make a nice little trip out of!) and nearby Collingwood has 2 more. These include:

No. 3 - Rocky Crest (pictured below)

No. 5 - Muskoka Bay Club (Link to full photo tour - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48306.0.html)

No. 12 - Taboo Resort (photo tour can be seen here: http://nowonthetee.blogspot.com/2010/02/taboo-resort.html)

No. 13 - Oviinbyrd

No. 16 - Bigwin Island (Pictured below)

No. 18 - Deerhurst Resort

No. 24 - Cobble Beach

No. 30 - Georgian Bay Club (Pictured Below)

Additionally, there are The Ridge at Manitou (no. 73 in Canada), Grandview Golf Club (Pictured Below), Port Carling GC, and Lake Joseph Club (which has an amazing fall from grace, falling off the list this year from no. 8 in Canada when it first opened).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:10:48 AM by Mark Saltzman »

Mark Saltzman

Re: Muskoka, Ontario Golf (A Few Photos)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 08:07:50 AM »
Rocky Crest Resort

Hole 1

Hole 3

Hole 6

Hole 8

Hole 11

Hole 12

Hole 16

Mark Saltzman

Bigwin Island

Full photo tour can be seen here: http://nowonthetee.blogspot.com/2010/03/bigwin-island-golf-club.html

Hole 2

Hole 3

Hole 6

Hole 9

Hole 14

Hole 15

Hole 18

Mark Saltzman

Georgian Bay Club

Hole 3

Hole 8

Hole 11

Hole 12

Hole 13

Hole 14

Hole 16

Hole 17

Hole 18

Mark Saltzman

Grandview

Hole 1

Hole 5

Hole 8

Hole 13

Hole 17

Gary Slatter

My preference is the Deerhurst "Highlands" course.  Muskoka has sure changed since I grew up there - the Huntsville Downs was a good Stanley Thompson nine holer for 75 years, now it's 18 and not as good, but fun (like a public resort area course should be).

Bigwin was also a good Thompson design, in 1964. 

Mark, thanks for the pictures!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Matt Bosela

The first thing that pops into my mind when looking at those photos is how "busy-looking" those bunkers are at Georgian Bay. 

I admit that I haven't played there but just on looks alone, I have to imagine those are quite difficult to maintain.

Mark Saltzman

The first thing that pops into my mind when looking at those photos is how "busy-looking" those bunkers are at Georgian Bay. 

I admit that I haven't played there but just on looks alone, I have to imagine those are quite difficult to maintain.

Matt,

No doubt they are very busy looking, but I think they are very cool looking as well.  My opinion was that they worked very hard to make them look natural, but too much work made them look manufactured. 

I don't know about maintenance, but playability is an issue.  You end up being at the mercy of the golfing gods as to what type of shot you have from the bunker.  Some of those fingers in the bunkers are very small and if you get stuck in the wrong spot, you may be dead.  Take a look at the photo below.  If you look closely, my ball is in one of the little fingers.  The only option I had was actually to go backwards and then face a flop shot over the bunker.  To be fair though, the pro I played with told me that was the worst snooker he had ever seen. Just my luck!

Gary Slatter

Not sure about "busy looking" but IMHO they look like crap bunkers, crap to play out of, crap to maintain and crap to look at.  I thought it was left over snow, but that would look more natural.  I have not played there (Georgian Bay Club), and never will.  Always enjoy Mad River in that area.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mark Saltzman

Not sure about "busy looking" but IMHO they look like crap bunkers, crap to play out of, crap to maintain and crap to look at.  I thought it was left over snow, but that would look more natural.  I have not played there (Georgian Bay Club), and never will.  Always enjoy Mad River in that area.

Gary,

Like I said, I thought the bunkers looked interesting, but I can understand where you're coming from.

Certainly agree on Mad River - I've only had the opportunity to play it once, but I loved it.  I hope I'll be able to get back there at some point not too far in the future.

Have you been to Cobble Beach (I know, not quite the same area, but close)?  If so, do you prefer MR over CB?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back