News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Harris

Re: Seaview/Bay Course improvements...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »
It's curious to me that so much is put into the diagrams on display in the locker room. How much of those plans were ever actually carried out? I remember there being some rather glaring differences between the early descriptions of the golf course, the Ross drawn plans, and what is on the golf course today.

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:04:57 AM »
I am interested to get back and see the completed work. The course is a blast to play and the improvements sound like the new owners have all the right intentions going forward.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »
I can give a firsthand report-I was at both courses on Friday afternoon-teed off at 5pm on the Bay Course. 

There is marked improvement; I noticed the rough was/is brought up, and the greens are rolling much, much faster than I have ever seen-the pro shop said 13.  I did not measure, so I can only take this statement as face value.  I did notice fescues on all bunkers.  Course was playing much, much harder than I've ever seen. 

I only played a few holes on Bay, there were a lot of workers and a bunch of players on the course.  Not fun to sit in the fairway waiting to play an approach while there is a player, a coach, and a parent hitting like 15 shots from the fairway and totally oblivious to anyone or anything else. 

Went over to Pines, and I noticed the most improvement here. 

Fairways and roughs were much more uniform in consistency.  Greens were rolling very well and showed no signs of bare spots, patches or other strains.  They were nearly perfect, and probably rolling at about 9 on the stimp.  Many bunkers were resanded and expanded in size.  According to Stephen Kay, they did the work in house. 

A lot of underbrush was cleared between holes and on the perimeters of holes. 

Whatever else they did, it is good.  Pines does need the tees levelled--there were many areas that were beaten up--but it was very enjoyable to play, and provided a worthy alternative to the Bay at that particular time. 

Tim, call me when you come down!
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

astavrides

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »
I can give a firsthand report-I was at both courses on Friday afternoon-teed off at 5pm on the Bay Course. 

There is marked improvement; I noticed the rough was/is brought up,

I remember playing there a few days before LPGA one year and was amazed at how high/thick the rough was.  I'm guessing they cut it again before the tournament, because I wouldn't have thought the women were strong enough to play out of it, but then again, they are pretty good.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »

There is marked improvement; I noticed the rough was/is brought up,

I remember playing there a few days before LPGA one year and was amazed at how high/thick the rough was.  I'm guessing they cut it again before the tournament, because I wouldn't have thought the women were strong enough to play out of it, but then again, they are pretty good.

Alex,
  The rough was very thick and tough to play from-even at Seaview Bay's length. Most of the tees for play were set a bit forward of normal.

Maybe a couple days after the tournament, next week, would be good days to go back. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

JNC Lyon

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »
I am very excited to watch Seaview Bay on television this week.  I really enjoyed the bunker style at Seaview, which relied on bold, flashed up faces that seemed to imitate the appearance of sand dunes.  Some favorite holes for bunkering are 1, 7, 9, 10, 11, 16, and 18.

A cool, short golf course like Seaview is hard to beat in my opinion.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Gary Slatter

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
I am very excited to watch Seaview Bay on television this week.  I really enjoyed the bunker style at Seaview, which relied on bold, flashed up faces that seemed to imitate the appearance of sand dunes.  Some favorite holes for bunkering are 1, 7, 9, 10, 11, 16, and 18.

Isn't that the truth?  A cool, short golf course like Seaview is hard to beat!  Why don`t we have more of them, would they not be popular any more
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

JNC Lyon

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »

Isn't that the truth?  A cool, short golf course like Seaview is hard to beat!  Why don`t we have more of them, would they not be popular any more

I'm pretty confident they would be popular if marketed correctly.  Besides, I think they would level the playing field a bit.  Nothing negates modern technology like a short course where it's no use.  I do know courses like Seaview, Paxon Hollow, and Cobb's Creek have been packed when I've played them this year, so yes, they are popular with somebody.

Oh, and if you don't like hitting wedge into every hole as a long hitter, try hitting some different clubs off the tee!  A long hitter can hit it shorter, but a short hitter can't hit the ball longer.  One more reason why shorter (some say executive) courses like Seaview are preferable to the bomb and gauge modern layouts that take up extra space and extra time.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:06:08 AM »
Steve

Thanks for the heads up - I look forward to seeing how they play it on cable back here.

David Federman

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 11:02:14 AM »
I played the Bay Course Friday afternoon - May 27. I had last played the Bay about 10 years earlier. Visually, it was beautiful.  Heather was grown over and amost surrounding every bunker - instructions were to play as hazard and not even search for ball should you hit into the heather. Carts required and cart paths only (prep for tourny). Wind was steady at 25-30 mph. Greens were as fast as any I have ever putted - fairways were tight and ran fast; rough was up; only real negative about maintenance was that the areas in front of green were soft - preventing run -up shots and taking the ground game out of play. Unfortunately, greens were so fast that shots hitting on the greens would not hold (even with wedge) and would run over, creating a real dilemma given the softness in front of greens, combined with elevated nature of some of the greens. High heather created quite a few blind drives and second shots if one was not familiar with course. Front nine was rather bland (except for #2) and seemed to be a series of back and forth holes, none of which was particulary memorable. Back nine had more interest (really liked 10 - short par 4 left dog leg). Overall with the high wind and speedy, well-protected greens - the course was quite a challenge. If the winds stay up and the greens are kept at the same speed, I am not sure the women will be shooting 65's.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 07:12:33 AM »
Unfortunately this event won't be on Golf Channel until midnight so set your DVR.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 07:20:01 AM »
Unfortunately this event won't be on Golf Channel until midnight so set your DVR.

Unless you attend in person.  I think I'll be there Saturday.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »

ShopRite LPGA Classic
Jun 04 : GC 5:00-7:00 PM ET
Jun 05 : GC 4:30-7:00 PM ET

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 03:54:09 PM »
Did I say midnight every day?

It's just for tonight obviously.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 11:11:39 AM »
The first round was rerun early this morning. I caught some of it. The course looked terrific and definitely played "links like" with a 20 mph wind.

However, there were 5+hour rounds:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/golfinq/Kerr-sharp-despite-windy-conditions.html

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/jun/03/shin-leads-shoprite-after-windy-opening-round/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:19:44 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »
This is on the tourney web page, as well as part of the pairings sheet I picked up yesterday while in attendance:

Hugh Wilson laid out the original plan in 1914. Scottish Hall-of-Famer and legendary designer Donald Ross finished the course the following year. The course sustained a variety of changes over the decades. In 1997 Robert Cupp, Jr. began a comprehensive $1 million restoration to bring the course back to the vision of its original designers.

Situated on the coast of Reeds Bay, just a few miles northwest of Atlantic City, N.J., the Bay Course incorporates a variety of challenges in its classic mounding, deep pot and high-faced bunkers, tricky seashore winds and small greens with subtle undulations.

The old-school design and spectacular vistas of the bays and marshes have made this links-style course a favorite of lady professionals and spectators alike since hosting the first LPGA Classic in 1986. Part of the Bay Course was also used during the 1942 PGA Championship, when Sam Snead took his first major championship.

1914 construction: Hugh Wilson

1915 completion: Donald Ross

1998 restoration: Robert Cupp, Jr.

Yardage: 6,247

Par: 71

USGA rating: 70.7

Managed by: Troon Golf

;D

astavrides

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »
Is the mention of Wilson the result of you and Cirba's research?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »
Is the mention of Wilson the result of you and Cirba's research?

Ron Whitten was the first to mention having found an early newspaper article indicating Wilson got it started.  When I got involved looking for info on Cobb's Creek, much more data arose conforming Wilson's involvement.  And two winters ago Mike and I spent a snowy day at the Atlantic Historical Society to further add to the story.

astavrides

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 02:49:13 PM »
1914 construction: Hugh Wilson

1915 completion: Donald Ross

1998 restoration: Robert Cupp, Jr.

;D

the golf channel graphic had this attribution as well.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »
Nice to see...

I think it's fair to say that some of the publicity generated here may have had something to do with the improvement on the historical attribution versus the old "Seaview Bay course by Donald Ross" that used to be the story.

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 07:31:20 PM »
Course looks really good on TV. The quirky finish-3,4,3,5 provides plenty of drama and Lincicome made a great 4 on 18 to win. I really like the A.C. skyline as a backdrop.  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:47:21 AM by Tim Martin »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 08:51:25 PM »
Course looks really good on TV. The quirky finish-3,4,3,5. 18 provides plenty of drama and Lincicome made a great 4. I really like the A.C. skyline as a backdrop.  

I've spoken to Michael Whan and the President of Stockton College about changing the name of the tourney next year to "The ShopRite Classic at the Executive Course at Seaview Designed by Hugh Wilson".   But perhaps that is too long to fit on the volunteers' apparel.

;)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »
How about just "The Executive Championship, sponsored by ShopRite."

As long as "Executive" is in the name, I'll be happy.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 12:36:47 AM »
-11 for the winner, hardly pitch and putt numbers for the ladies on a less than maxed out executive layout. I'd say the old girl held up quite well. It was nice to see shots hitting and releasing right over the green. Beautiful stuff! Those players so rarely see that, it befuddled them (and their caddies) quite a bit. Some freshening sea-side breezes also spiced up the day.

Brittany had a very nice up and down from the spinach for birdie on 18 to seal the deal.

In contrast, the Bataan death march on Jack's track offered little excitement.

JB or others in the GCA crowd could chime in...how was the attendance at Seaview, it looked a little sparse today, considering Kerr and some other bigger names were out late. I also didn't see the youth fans out in force, which should be priority #1 for that Tour, thinking long-term about growing a fan-base in future generations.
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back