News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Spittel

Re: Memorable First Tees
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »
Bethpage Black is the obvious one for the pucker factor (especially if you're the first group off in the morning when the course still has its Open teeth).

The crowd watching at Inverness is a bit more refined, so a bad shot doesn't necessarily garner the same sort of vitriol.

The view at MPCC Shore on a clear morning is pretty hard to beat.

I've never been as nervous as when I was the first to tee off in a tournament horserace at my home track of BraeBun in Houston. The crowd was north of 100 and each person was at least that many cocktails deep.   
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 07:01:42 PM »
Palmetto Golf Club's first tee enamored me from the start as it is very tied into the 18th green/bunkers. Watching the sun come up over the first hole in the cozy clubhouse area will remain one of the most memorable moments in my golfing life.

Frank M

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »
I guess I should also add the 1st tee at TOC.

I can't even begin to describe the setting and feeling the first time I stepped on to that first tee.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 08:45:26 PM »
CC of Farmington in Farmington, CT.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Sam Morrow

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 12:22:45 AM »
  San Antonio Country Club is cool because it's a little par 3 and you are teeing off from the patio outside the shop. I also love the plaque next to the tee about some member who was an Officer at Ft. Sam Houston, when he got older he made a name for himself, Eisen-something.
  Falcons Fire was cool because Tiger was behind us and Bay Hill was cool because Arnie was watching.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 12:54:47 AM »
Former first tee at Banff Springs.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 06:44:18 AM »
David Kelly has been around long enough to remember that this was a consensus winner back in the day. The reason?
 Being able to see a part of most, if not, every hole. Now that's what I call intimacy.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 07:39:35 AM »
Are there other places where the setting of the tee itself makes it memorable more than the golf shot presented?

Royal Porthcawl - virtually hitting across an area close to the 18th green.

PThomas

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 07:52:36 AM »
Mid Ocean!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 07:56:01 AM »
I think Royal Aberdeen is a good one...

Portmarnock is memorable as it is sandwiched in between the clubhouse and the estuary and covers a vast space...

Similarly Lahinch is placed nicely between the clubhouse and the pro-shop...

In general it is a good feeling to have the 1st tee so close to the clubhouse... All 3 of the above have that...

Jason Baran

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 08:20:38 AM »
For me, it's Shinnecock Hills.  Incredible view of the bulk of western half of the course from the tee.

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »
The first tee at The Country Club in Pepper Pike near Cleveland is pretty cool. The Golf Shop is right behind the tee and the clubhouse is nearby to the left, kind of like Merion. Maybe Flynn was thinking of it when he built Country. The view of the first hole from the tee is unforgettable.....

Mike Cirba

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 11:07:49 AM »
Some great ones mentioned...

I'd add Castle Harbor in Bermuda, or whatever they are calling it these days.

I know the course was revamped some time back, but I believe the first tee/hole is still part of it.   

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 11:29:27 AM »
Burnham & Berrow's is good being sandwiched between the hosue and the 18th green. 

I also have a lot of time for Blackwell's.  The first tee is literally the door mat to the house.  It gets better though,  The 18th is immediately seen on the right.  The 10th tee is further round the right of the house past the 18th tee and putting green - maybe 40 yards from the 1st tee.  The 9th green is sitting below the house off camera to the left.  If ever there was a guy who said it isn't important to integrate the house with the course all he needs to do is visit Blackwell to get that crazy idea out of his head.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

J Sadowsky

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »
At the first tee of Royal New Kent, I felt like I was just teleported out of Virginia and to someplace else.  The sun was still finishing its rise and there was dew on the ground, and I was no longer anywhere in the United States.  This photo is the only I can find, but it doesn't do it justice (also, the tee shot is much more elevated from what I remember).

Bill Brightly

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »
Since Merion has already been mentioned, I'd say this one is pretty special...

Bill Brightly

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 01:19:52 PM »
And I still think Mountain Ridge has the best first hole in New Jersey

Mark Pearce

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »
For atmosphere it's hard to beat TOC or CPC.  For a view, Crail Balcomie is pretty special.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »
  For drama, nervousness.........    Southern Hills, Bethpage, Riviera, Merion, Oakmont, Shinnecock

A couple of real beautiful and wow starts...   Sanctuary,  Bridge

Quirky and memorable..... I agree with Tobacco Road

Scariest...      Muirfield

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back