News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Coan

Hey Guys,

Scott Warren kindly nominated me to organize the 2012 event in NZ at Paraparaumu and after
1 or 2 ales I somehow agreed.  He's not completely off the hook as I have self-deputized him to help organize and drum up support
from the Austalian contingent.

We thought it would be a good idea to run the format as a singles competition with a match-play bracket of 32 players as this seems
to be an optimal number in terms of admin.

March 2012 looks to be the best timeframe in that it gets us Antipodeans far enough away from our Summer holidays and allows for the Northerners
to get a jump start on their upcoming golf season.  The weather is generally spot-on that time of year as well.

Looking to base the event solely at Paraparaumu over a 4-day period, say Thursday to Sunday.  Those travelling from afar can then organize side trips
to play NZ's other gems as they see fit.  

For those unfamiliar with NZ, Paraparaumu is about an hours drive north of Wellington, which sits at the bottom of the North Island.
Kidnappers (4 hrs.) and Kinloch (5 hrs.) are pretty easily driveable from Pram, all other courses worth seeing will require flying.

Air New Zealand will start to operate daily return flights from Auckland to Paraparaumu starting this September after a major upgrade to our local airport.
Once this service ramps up the hope is that many more cities will become available for direct flights (Queenstown, Christchrurch, Taupo, ...).

Boomerang 2011 at Barnbougle was exceptional and I really enjoyed meeting all the fellow GCAer's from Aussie and points further afield.  I would hope
that 2012 at Paraparaumu will be just as good.

Specific details will follow once we get an idea if there are sufficiant numbers for liftoff.

For those unfamiliar with Paraparaumu, here's a link to their website:

http://www.paraparaumubeachgolfclub.co.nz/layouts/terraces/Template.aspx?page=home

Can't say it's as good as Barnbougle but it's pretty damn close!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:03:24 PM by Scott Coan »

Scott Warren

Re: GCA Boomerang 2012 at Paraparaumu NZ, expressions of interest...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »
I am in. I love the idea of a 32-man matchplay competition, with those knocked out making up their own matches after they're eliminated. Or maybe two 16-man competitions with low handicappers in one and higher handicappers in the other.

I visited Pram for the 2002 NZ Open and spent four days walking the course and sitting in the Hyundai tent behind the awesome 16th green. The excitement level was red-lining for our planned round on the course the day after the tournament ended, but alas it had rained so much they closed the course and we had to play Miramar, next to the airport, instead.

A huge benefit for those considering coming from the US is that the New Zealand dollar has not kicked the US$ arse the way the Aussie dollar has. The US$ still buys NZ$1.26, so there is value to be had. It is also a shorter and cheaper flight than Australia.

Perhaps copy the list and add your name:

1. Scott Coan
2. Scott Warren

Scott C: Are Kevin and Russell going to be involved again?

Here are some of my favourite pics of the course to give those unfamiliar with Pram an idea of what they are in for:

All courtesy Leo Barber, I believe.

5th hole

6th hole

6th hole

16th hole

In fact, it seems Ran has recently beefed up the Paraparaumu Beach GC review:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/new-zealand/paraparaumu-beach/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:53:04 PM by Scott Warren »

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:40:28 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for organizing and would love to make it, but sadly ... I'm out.

Scotland's a calling next year and just can't do it all.

Definitely envious of those able to attend.

Patrick
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

David_Elvins

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »
Great stuff Scott, Can we camp in your backyard?   ;D

I am defintely a maybe. 

My only comment would be that 4 days at the one course might make it harder to fit  in a few other courses and make the variety of golf worth the journey.  But I might be alone on this point.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:50:24 PM »
David,

The same point crossed my mind, but I think that on a links with the winds changing in direction and intensity, four days will ensure those who take part will get a much deeper experience and appreciation for the course than a day or two can provide.

But by the same token, I can appreciate that those travelling long distances are likely to be looking for bredth of experience over depth.

Tyler Ince

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:21:40 AM »
Depending on my work schedule I am always up for some sort of adventure. Boomerang 2011 was a heck of a time and any reason to head back to NZ would be fine with me. Too bad Scotland is the next trip in August.  Wait that is really not a complaint...looking forward to Scotland again.
'til the Road Hole....

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 12:27:22 AM »
Great stuff Scott, Can we camp in your backyard?   ;D

I am defintely a maybe. 

My only comment would be that 4 days at the one course might make it harder to fit  in a few other courses and make the variety of golf worth the journey.  But I might be alone on this point.

Scott C

Well done  ;D

I'm with David on both fronts.

If I am going to go - I'd probably look at a bit of variety. Am happy for a two day event at the one course (and hopefully get lucky with the weather) but what else is realatively close by that's worth a hit or see ?

Terry Thornton

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 12:56:54 AM »
Scott,

definitely interested. Shortly after you confirm dates I'll be able to say yay or nay for certain.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 01:19:28 AM »
Guys
Thanks again for organising, Scott looking forward to catching up for some great golf and a few bev's.

I am in the boat as well with KP and Dave, if I am travelling that far, I am keen to experience some more gca, and see some other tracks.
Is Kev at Titirangi(?)

Apart from the obvious Kidnappers and KC, what should be on the radar in the land of the long white cloud?
@theflatsticker

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 01:30:48 AM »
Brett,

I think I recall that Kev is at Wairakei.

I've seen somewhere else that Brian Schneider from Renaissance Golf Design speaks highly of Waverly Golf Club up a bit north of Pram near Wanganui as a rough diamond worth seeing.

Obviously Titirangi in Auckland and Kidnappers, Kinloch and Kauri.

In Wellington itself, Royal Wellington is currently undergoing renovation (I believe by GCA.com's own Scott Macpherson in conjunction with Greg Turner) and Mirramar has a few good holes but lost most of its best land to the airport many years ago.

Worth mentioning, Ran used to have a less than comprehensive joint review/comparison of Pram Beach and Wairakei in the Courses By Country section, but today I noticed they have been split into their own separate reviews with heaps of new pictures and info. Worth looking at: Wairakei, Paraparaumu.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 01:44:14 AM »
Oreti Sands is apparently the southern most links course in the world, located at the very bottom of the South Island.

Michael Goldstein and Jamie Patton (the Kiwi lads that played golf every day in 2010) did a review of Oreti Sands on their blog - http://puregolf2010.com/oreti-sands-what-could-be-the-next-big-thing/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:54:36 AM by Ben Jarvis »
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 01:51:21 AM »
Scott,

I am interested (first, third and fourth weekends in March would suit best or last weekend in Feb).

Scott Coan

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 01:59:04 AM »
Points well taken guys.  Truth be told, my initial thought was to organize a travelling troupe taking in Kidnappers, Kinloch, Wairakei, and ending up at Paraparaumu but then Scott talked me out of that opton as being too unwieldy in terms of organization.

Easy enough to go that route.  These things will take shape as we get more input.  Waverly (about 2.5 hr drive north of Pram) is a bit of a hidden gem that's definitely worth a play  (Ngamotu/New Plymouth also up that way) .  Titirangi is the Auckland play, then you have Jack's Point down in Queenstown.

NZ may look small on the map but when you try and string all these plays together you end up with hours and hours of travel time so some lines have to be drawn somewhere.

I'm happy to go with the flow.  The touble with the wham/bam play as many as you can routine is that you lose a bit of the magic of a course if you only play it once.  I suppose that's where the 36/day thing comes in, but I'm just getting too out of shape to handle that over multiple days  (I suppose there is plenty of time to get in shape!).

I can see a bit of a committee forming...

For those that were asking, Kevin & Russell are both members at Pram and will be around.  Russ (aka Wobble) also a member at Wairakei and floats back and forth.  Kev's wife just offerred a big job in Adelaide so he may find himself floating back and forth to Aussie as well :)

Grant Saunders

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 02:02:20 AM »
Scott

Im keen for sure. The only problem I may encounter is if the 4th is one of the days (partners birthday).

Grant

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 02:17:23 AM »
Scott C (+ other NZers)

Could you possibly recommend a 2 week golf itinerary (14days) packed of golf for someone to NZ ? Incl. allowing a couple of days sightseeing sans travel / GCA event within.

I've been to NZ before for a holiday and would like to logistically hear what you guys think are the must sees on both the north and south Islands golfwise.

Thanks in advance.

David_Elvins

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 02:55:22 AM »
Points well taken guys.  Truth be told, my initial thought was to organize a travelling troupe taking in Kidnappers, Kinloch, Wairakei, and ending up at Paraparaumu but then Scott talked me out of that opton as being too unwieldy in terms of organization.

I would be interested in this sort of itinerary, as part of an event, or as a seperate thing.  Not expecting you to organise it but if anyone else is interested in a similar itiinerary, let me know.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 03:31:14 AM »
Hey guys. I'm really keen to be there to play the home course (not much chance now from Melbourne although the golf here is OK too).

Also would love to help visitors out who are coming down under. Please feel free to PM me.

Michael

@Pure_Golf

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 03:58:02 AM »
My preference would be for a 2-3 "GCA EVENT", with a 1-2 option either side - to me this gives them opportunity to add on as to each individuals preference. Main event organized by the El Supremo, the additional bits organized by those that want to play.

The courses I am keen to play would be: Pram - 2 days =72 holes,  Kidnappers(revisit), Titirangi(arrival or departure), Kinloch(?) and Jacks Point - playing with 'wobble' - he said I should visit him at Wairakei...

So for me a 4-6 day itinerary would be good, allowing a day for travel.

Hi Mike G - welcome, played with you two at 13th &BHGC.
@theflatsticker

Leo Barber

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 05:23:48 AM »
I am a definite and happy to assist with the organisation.  Both Scotts, we need to have a chat soon re the dates and other logistics.  The calendar is very congested around that time and in particular thursdays near impossible for 36 holes.  Fri/Sat at PB could fit well.  I personally like that idea from Scott W of two flights of 16.  Fits nicely into two 36 Hole days, 3 nights in Pram.

I am happy to assist with Itineraries for people (think I prepared some thoughts on the other Boomerang thread).  Quickly though off the top of my head, your main options might include

1 Week Option Fly into Auckland Fly out of Wgtn (or fly back to Auckland for non Aust) and take in Titirangi, Kinloch, Cape Kidnappers and PB.  Wairakei as an add on if time and interest permitted.  Kauri Cliffs add 3 days atleast.

2 Week Option as above plus Fly Wgtn to Queenstown direct, mind blowing scenery and a fantastic town.  Play Jacks Point, Arrowtown, Millbrook (Turner/Macs new work there is very good). 

Multi Day Option (perfect for Australians if not wishing the 1 weeker), Fly in an out of Wgtn and bite off as much of the lower north.   island as you wish up as far as Taupo.

1. Scott Coan
2. Scott Warren
3. Leo Barber

Ash Towe

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 05:53:46 AM »
I am definite to play on any Saturday/Sunday event, on any weekend you choose.

If you have any working days it will be much harder for me to make them but I would still come down for weekend play.

Good luck with the organization guys.

Please IM me for any help/ advice with itenaries.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 06:09:38 AM »
Jealous!!

Most people will spend more time at the check in desk than Scott Coan will walking from his house to the clubhouse.

Kinkoch and Wairakei are well worth a visit but a very long two day trip even from Paraparaumu.

Do not miss the great restaurants at Waikanae Beach, The Front Room and Long Beach Cafe
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:42:20 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 06:36:21 AM »
I am happy to assist with Itineraries for people (think I prepared some thoughts on the other Boomerang thread).  Quickly though off the top of my head, your main options might include

1 Week Option Fly into Auckland Fly out of Wgtn (or fly back to Auckland for non Aust) and take in Titirangi, Kinloch, Cape Kidnappers and PB.  Wairakei as an add on if time and interest permitted.  Kauri Cliffs add 3 days atleast.

2 Week Option as above plus Fly Wgtn to Queenstown direct, mind blowing scenery and a fantastic town.  Play Jacks Point, Arrowtown, Millbrook (Turner/Macs new work there is very good). 

Leo / Ash etc

Thanks for that - I haven't been to NZ for over 20 years - you may have just given me the excuse to return.

I still recall vividly the beauty of your countryside and Tasmania to NZ is a logical and natural progression.

Scott Warren

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 06:50:09 AM »
IMO New Zealand has as much natural beauty and variety of terrain as all of Western Europe, but packed into a far more manageable package.

It's an incredible place, well worth seeing for more than the golf.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 10:31:57 AM »
Scott - I couldn't agree more, having spent two months in NZ and only scratched the surface. The thermal areas are just fantastic.
Kiwi's also have a great outlook on life and are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.......unless you do Mr Barber over on the 18th green!!
Cave Nil Vino

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »
I would love to attend, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility, but it will depend on the exact date and a number of other things that can't be organised for a few months at least. So put me down as a maybe.

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back