News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ben Voelker

Bayside!! (with photos)
« on: May 19, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »
Everyone,

I played Bayside in Ogalala, Nebraska while out in the western part of Nebraska earlier this week.  I could only find one old photo essay of the course and it looks like many of the links no longer work, so I thought I would post some photos.  My entire collection of photos can be found at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjaminvoelker/sets/72157626757802742/

I was very impressed by the course.  The collection of par 5s are really, really good.  I know 11 is a lightening rod, but I thought it was a great par 5.  The greensite is SCARY and my 100-yard third shot (straight downwind) was probably one of the hardest shots I had to hit the entire round.  It seemed to me that only a perfect shot would be rewarded, but a bad shot is not penalized nearly as badly as it would appear from the fairway.  The 5s may be a little bit too similar on each side (both are short and into the wind on the front, long as hell on the back).

The front nine in particular is great as a collection of holes.  It is on the gentler portion of the property and the tees are without exception just steps from the previous greens.

With the exception of 17, the 3s all felt similar to me, but they all have varying wind conditions which makes them all play somewhat different.

Its been a number of years since I have played Wild Horse, but if my recollection is correct, Bayside should be in the conversation, I thought it was that good.  A few places where I'm sure some people would have some gripes:

1. The carries off the tee seemed to be a little excessive, especially for the second and third tees from the back.
2. The back nine is not as easy a walk as the front, but the terrain is much more severe.  The only walk I really had a problem with was the 10-11 walk, which was quite long and uphill due to what looks like a future housing project.

Anyway, on to the photos (yardages are from the blue tees, second from back)...

1st - 481 par  5
Straight into the wind and certainly not an easy drive for the opening shot of the round.  The carry from the tips is 60 additional yards, which seems really tough with a big headwind

The second shot is what makes this hole IMO.  The hole offsets to the right about 100 yards from the green.  To get a view of the green for the third, you have to carry the tall grass or challenge it out right (first photo).  A straight layup near the bunker leads to a blind approach (second photo).

4th - 448 par 5
Quite short for a 5, but playing straight into the wind makes it quite a bit longer.  No visual cues off the tee, but  right of the mound leaves you in a huge depression with no view of the green.  There's also a massive dropoff long and left of the green, so those too aggressive going for the green in two will have a tricky up and down on their hands.

From behind the green, one can see the contoured nature of the 4th green

The aforementioned view of the task from long and left

6th - 458 par 4
Longer than the par 5 4th, but downwind, there is plenty of room in the fairway, but a gully cutting through the fairway effectively narrows the driving area.  The preferred angle to the green is from the left, but I like the deception offered by defending the right side

The approach from the left

Looking back down the wide fairway.  I think this hole would work quite well into the wind as a par 5 as well.

7th - 286 par 4
Half par hole straight downwind was easily reachable and I'm not a long hitter.  As with most tee shots, there is way more room than it appears from the tee.  It's pretty hard to run a drive up to the green between the bunkers because the ground slopes left to right more than it appears and you will end up in the front right greenside bunker.  You really have to carry the centerline bunkers to get the ball to run up onto the green.  A layup needs to be out left for the best view of the green.

Looking back from the green, it can be seen how much room there is left of the centerline bunkers and the slope of the land back to the right.

The contouring of the green from the left front bunker.

8th - 160 par 3
My favorite one-shotter on the front.  Into the wind, it was 3 clubs more.  The tips are 220 and I doubt I would be able to reach with driver.

10th - 340 par 4
Another great hole that was hard to figure out with the wind.  A bomber could probably go right at the green with considerable risk of coming up short in the junk.  Probably a 200 yard club off the tee is the most one can take downwind.  The fairway has a huge slope back towards to tee to help slow balls down going downwind.

Approach, no pics from the green because I left my camera and bag up on top of the hill.

11th - 600 par 5
This was my favorite hole on the course.  Downwind tee shot with a cape quality over the bunkers on the right.  It is a huge carry, but there's more fairway out to the left than it appears.  The hole gets progressively narrower as one nears the green.

Love this approach from 100 yards.  I played a PW to land just past the mound and tried to run it on, but pulled it left.  One of the scariest shots I have ever had to play downwind.

13th - 184 par 3
My favorite one-shotter on the back and another visually intimidating hole.  I missed short, but it looked to me once I was on the green that long is not as bad as it looks from the tee.  I wonder now, looking at the photo, if the play downwind is to hit the ball into the rough left of the green.  The slope will kick the ball on and the rough should slow it down a bit.

14th - 358 par 4
A short par 4 that seemed to lack strategy, but which has a really cool punchbowl green.

15th - 594 par 5
This one is back into the wind (but downhill after the drive) and a bear to play.  The drive has to get as far right as you dare to have some idea where to layup.  I think this hole works better without the wind as its probably reachable downhill without fighting the wind.

Finding the layup area is partially blind as the hole heads way downhill, which is most easily seen from behind the green.

16th - 293 par 4
Another really good half-par hole.  There are lots of options off the tee.  At first glace, left is the safe option with an approach over the bunker, while right of the centerline hazard provides the ideal angle but a tight driving area... 

However, the best angle into the green is had from far left, over the left side fairway bunker, with a view of the putting surface and no fronting hazard.  But its a tough shot to get a drive over the bunker into the wind.  A right side drive is still open in front, but blind from below the green level.
Right side of the fairway

Left of centerline hazard

Far left side of the fairway

All in all, I thought Bayside was an excellent collection of golf holes and for $40 walking on weekdays, I think it is a bargain that is right up there with Wild Horse.  I look forward to getting back to Wild Horse as soon as I can because I don't remember it that well anymore.  Since WH almost universally thought to be better than Bayside, I would like to see it again to compare.

Lastly, if anyone wants to buy any land, there is plenty of it out there...

Dan Herrmann

Re: Bayside!! (with photos)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 02:44:29 PM »
THANKS!  (I need to go to there!)

Michael Blake

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:45:53 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Ben.  Course looks fun to play.
The Bunker Hill boys sure do some nice work.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:33:40 PM »
Great course, loved playing there.

Not a big fan of 15, but could play at Bayside every day and be happy.

Jason Hines

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 05:03:21 PM »
Thanks Ben,

How were the conditions?  Did it play fast? 

J.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »
I am not familar with Nebraska weather, but wouldn't you get killed in the wind on this course? How often is it unplayable in the wind?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 05:27:39 PM »
Looks like Ben was here on Monday, or Tuesday?

Really nice to see a write up. There were very few statements I would disagree with. The only one that stuck out was about 11 green and how proportional the penalty is for missing either side. It can be rather unforgiving on a miss of one foot or less. Granted, the wise play is to the center of the green, so it's a miss of 20 or more feet, but, it's missing the green by a foot, or either side, is what I am referencing. The greens are so much fun with lots of kick plates, side and back boards.

Jason, The conditions were really good on Monday, save for the aerated greens. But they actually rolled a perfect speed for Bayside.

Tim, It's not that bad. Just a myth to keep the riff raff away.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ben Voelker

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 05:30:09 PM »
Thanks Ben,

How were the conditions?  Did it play fast? 

J.

Jason,

The greens had been cored and topdressed 4-5 days before so they were a bit slow.  I have seen some flood warnings in the area recently and the native stuff was pretty soggy, but there was plenty of bounce and roll in the green complexes.

Tim,

I am not an expert in Western Nebraska weather either, but rthe wind seems to have been accounted for.  I played in a ~20MPH wind and am not a big hitter and I was well into every fairway.  I haven't bothered to measure the carry distances, but my guess is that the actual number wouldn't be that high.  For example, the first tee shot looks very intimidating, but I bet the carry is only 150 or so from the blues.  The tips are another story and I wonder who could play back there.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
Looks like Ben was here on Monday, or Tuesday?

Really nice to see a write up. There were very few statements I would disagree with. The only one that stuck out was about 11 green and how proportional the penalty is for missing either side. It can be rather unforgiving on a miss of one foot or less. Granted, the wise play is to the center of the green, so it's a miss of 20 or more feet, but, it's missing the green by a foot, or either side, is what I am referencing. The greens are so much fun with lots of kick plates, side and back boards.

Jason, The conditions were really good on Monday, save for the aerated greens. But they actually rolled a perfect speed for Bayside.

Tim, It's not that bad. Just a myth to keep the riff raff away.

You mean there are no Indians, Buffalo or Locust either?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ben Voelker

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
Adam,

I just missed your post before I put mine up.  I was there on late afternoon Monday.

As for 11, I just don't think the penalty for being left or right is as bad as it looks.  Even from 100 yards out, it looks like there is nothing there but a huge slope to oblivion, lost ball if you go either way.  In reality there are some pretty nasty bunkers, but its not gone.  I think my third there was the first time in my life that I considered putting from more than 10 yards off the green.  As it was I missed my little PW chip just short and left.

I think we are used to par 5s being easy and I like that this one is a tough par, even (maybe especially) when its downwind.

Have you played the course in other wind directions?  As best I can approximate, it was from the SW when I was there.  I would be curious to know if the course plays as well otherwise.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
The width, or lack there-of reminds me of another par 5.....

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 10:38:54 PM »
Ben. I play there a lot. The wind was SE which is an unusual wind. I think its the most fun though.  The NW wind is most brutal and the south and north winds are benign. I Say that because fewer holes are affected other than as cross winds. And that the dominant south wind is mitigated because the course is built on the leeward side of the hill that feeds down to the lake. The ninth is the only hole that didn't come out right. Dan told me it just didn't work the way they wanted. FYI the front nine was built with one loader and one dump truck. The 16th fwy took 2 months to shape. And no Proctor wasn't operating the machine. ;)

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ben Voelker

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »
Ben. I play there a lot. The wind was SE which is an unusual wind. I think its the most fun though.  The NW wind is most brutal and the south and north winds are benign. I Say that because fewer holes are affected other than as cross winds. And that the dominant south wind is mitigated because the course is built on the leeward side of the hill that feeds down to the lake. The ninth is the only hole that didn't come out right. Dan told me it just didn't work the way they wanted. FYI the front nine was built with one loader and one dump truck. The 16th fwy took 2 months to shape. And no Proctor wasn't operating the machine. ;)

SE is what I meant, just a bit directionally challenged!

I could see some of those carries being pretty brutal with the wind reversed, especially 11.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »
Bayside is a fine place to play. Two different nines and I really enjoyed the inner half.

The par-5 11th is a white knuckler affair -- just have to deal with its demands and the normal wind velocities.

The par-3 17th is simply a delicious hole -- love the little bunker that squeezes itself into focus.

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
Ben,

Thanks for the tour.  The course looks very interesting and seems like a must play on a full tour of the area.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Voelker

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 03:12:35 PM »
Bayside is a fine place to play. Two different nines and I really enjoyed the inner half.

The par-5 11th is a white knuckler affair -- just have to deal with its demands and the normal wind velocities.

The par-3 17th is simply a delicious hole -- love the little bunker that squeezes itself into focus.

Matt,

I thought 17 was okay, but didn't see the point of the green long and left being green.  That area is so small I would be shocked if they ever put a pin up there.  Seems like an L-shaped green with the back left portion cut at fairway height would reduce the possibility of being on the green with a bunker between you and the hole.

It was a tricky little shot in a cross wind to get the club and direction right.

I do have a photo of 17 to share so everyone know what we are talking about.  I played the hole at 115.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 03:20:54 PM »
Looks like a tribute to No. 6 at Riviera.  That back portion seems to be banked so that if you wind up on the wrong side of the trap in the middle you might still be able to put around it. Just like at Riviera the back part acts like a bridge from one side to the other.

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 03:29:29 PM »
Ben,

Thank you for posting this photo tour! The golf looks REALLY fun and I'd say Adam indeed has it made living so close by. I will definitely be playing here sometime later this summer.

Jay Carstens

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 05:00:06 PM »
Nice to see the lake so charged!  Thanks for the look around Ben.
Play the course as you find it

Matt_Ward

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »
Ben:

#17 can play to a maz of just under 150 yards -- big difference in controlling an approach from say 115 where you played it to the fuller length. I believe the pin has a number of location which can work well. Behind the bunker is very demanding. Has to be totally pinpoint.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 08:41:21 AM »
Ben, they do put the pin back there on special occasions. Last years two man four ball is such. That day it played into a gale and from 125 tee it played 175. Tim nails it with the ala Riviera comment.   The greens at Bayside are so much fun. They properly refect the ground contours throughout and when the place is Firm, as much fun as one can have.

Ben Voelker

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
Ben, they do put the pin back there on special occasions. Last years two man four ball is such. That day it played into a gale and from 125 tee it played 175. Tim nails it with the ala Riviera comment.   The greens at Bayside are so much fun. They properly refect the ground contours throughout and when the place is Firm, as much fun as one can have.

I understand the tribute to Riviera.  I've just never particularly liked it there either.  The contours around the bunker at Bayside seem to be more severe than those at Riviera 6 from the photos, I've not been there.  I do agree in general about the green contours, as well as the approaches coming into the greens.  I'm excited to get back as I would like to give the greens another go at full speed.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 09:28:34 AM »
Ben, What happens when the greens get torqued is that the pin positions become limited.

#7 is one of the Bunker Hill boys greatest green. But with speeds nearing 10+ there's only about 3 positions Elton can use.

Yes, it's not so much fun when the "creep out" on putts is akin to velcro, but, even at these slower speeds there's movement to putts.

As a hint to anyone who might consider visiting, the end of August is the about the timing of the Bayside Classic. Elton gets the course at it's optimal for this event.

Norbert P

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 06:48:06 PM »
Always happy to hear another explorer praise this hidden gem.  It should not be missed on a Nebraska pilgrimmage.

Great clubhouse and hotdogs, too.  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:52:34 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »
Compare to Wildhorse? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back