News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Info on Blind Brook requested
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:48:02 PM »
A friend was asking me what I know about this course, I told him I didn't know anything, but I knew a bunch of guys who would. Please share!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

Kalen Braley

Re: Info on Blind Brook requested
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:10:10 PM »

This is a very exclusive men's club. The course was built on flat terrain. The fairways are wide open, and the greens are slow. There are plenty of sand bunkers throughout the course, but only one water hazard. Geoffrey Cornish and Brian Silva redesigned the course in the 1960's, followed by Stephen Kay, who redesigned one hole in 1989. There is no ladies' tee.

The 18-hole "Blind Brook" course at the Blind Brook Club facility in Purchase, New York features 6,385 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72. The course rating is 70.5 and it has a slope rating of 120 on Bent grass. Designed by Charles B. Mac Donald/Seth Raynor, the Blind Brook golf course opened in 1917. John Bladt manages the course as the General Manager.

http://www.westchestercountygolf.com/golf-courses/blind-brook-club.htm

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:24:55 PM »
Thanks, Kalen. Hopefully some of our NY friends will see this and share their thoughts.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »
This is the earliest article I have on Blind Brook, this from the Jan 7, 1916 edition of the NY Evening Post.

Note that Ross and Raynor are mentioned as having examined the land.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 07:07:23 PM »
Lore has it that back in the day(60s-70s) Blind Brook was THE place to caddy in lower Fairfield County and Upper Westchester County. The per bag fee and tips were reputedly the most generous around.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 07:15:38 PM »
George:

Blind Brook was Ike's seaonal place to play -- the course is rather sporty and has its moments. Nice rolling terrain and some cool greens of note. Worthy of a special visit from say 200+ miles. No. Just my opinion.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »
Its a Raynor but the sharper features have weathered away.  Has an Alps, a Redan, there are some tight driving holes on the front side.  Water in one place.  Lots of fun for the average player.  Very well to do membership that doesnt seem to want manicured.  Greens are fast enough given the slope, but not the 11 foot nightmares encouraged at Winged foot.  No pro, no pomp in the clubhouse.  doesnt get much play--20 groups on a weekend day.

If you have the chance--definitely play it.  I just love it, but for the overall experience and fun--its not a notable example of arch.  If you want Raynor, go to Piping Rock or the Creek.   

If you go, ask your host to sho you the portrait if Ike--its truly beautiful, painted i believe while he was Pres. of Columbia.  Has the be the best presidential portrait outside govt ownership.

Let us know what you think

Tom MacWood

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »
It is my understanding that some older members from Apawamis Club founded Blind Brook because they wanted a golf course which would be easier to walk. They hired CBM/Raynor to design the golf course, which apparently they did, but then there some kind of falling out and CBM & Raynor flew the coop. The course was completed by Findlay Douglas, who was founding member, along with George Low, who was pretty active at the time. It is interesting to note Douglas was a good friend of CBM.

George_Bahto

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »
Macdonald and Raynor were asked to build a mild version of NGLA by the Blind Brook more elderly membership. Use the feature holes but in a milder version.

The course is routed around this crazy, meandering brook (hence the name) - like the brook has no idea where it is supposed to go.

The course is short and with the feature holes, it is sporty to play for their elder membership.

Locker room is a blasf - like a step back into the 20's. Equipment is there for purchase on the honor system - sign for it and it will get on your bill.

On the upper floor there is a great card room with about 4 05 5 royal flushes i9n frames on the wall. There is a small doorway up in that room that leads to an attic - legend has it a ghost hangs around in there.

very cool place

Great portrait of Old Tom over the fireplace.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 03:55:35 PM »
Thanks, everyone, I will pass the info along to my friend. Hopefully I can report something back soon.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »
George,
Here's the 1934 aerial of BB. It's the course in the lower left hand corner of the page, below the road that runs on the horizontal.......

http://tinyurl.com/4342z6h

.....and the rest of BB is at the upper left hand corner of this page.

http://tinyurl.com/44a4sem
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Cirba

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:57:42 AM »
Was CBM involved in the design or was this a Raynor?

George_Bahto

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
both, Mike but who knows to what extent Charlie was involved -prob b asic design input.

Mike, I thiink, for him, the problem was that everyone wanted him involved and with some of his friends, it must have been hard to say no.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tom MacWood

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »
Here is a link to an article on Findlay Douglas. At the end of the article there is an interesting couple paragraphs on Blind Brook's history.

http://turf.lib.msu.edu/1950s/1957/570905.pdf

George_Bahto

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »
good stuff mac - thanks
   Wethered & Simpson

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
I was reading a slightly later article (Jan. 22nd) than the one Joe posted that said:

Probably the most important announcement is that which has to do with the Blind Brook Club, near Portchester.This will be a full eighteen hole course of more than 6,200 yards in length and of championship calibre.  A number of hotel men of New York have found financial ways and means of reviving an abandoned links not far from Scarsdale, so that it will be ready for use around the middle of this summer.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

George_Bahto

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »
In my notes I alsp have that Raynor was "assisted by Old Tom Morris' grand-son-in law, William Rusack of Scotland"
   Wethered & Simpson

Bruce Katona

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »
A few years ago, I was the guest of my wife's boss and had the opportunity to play BB.  For many business executives, it is a club where they entertain their guests, not the club where they relax with family on the weekends.

I can say I enjoyed playing the course and the dining afterward was wonderful.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back