News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Masters Yardage Book
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »

Dan

He should not do, but its modern times and modern golfers seem to need help playing the game – funny old world when outside information helps the player reduce his score.

In my time that was defined as - now what was the word, cherishing, no, was it caressing, no pity it should be that although the Caddie may not be too happy, conspiring with the enemy, no although that seem to be getting close, Oh yes remembered the word its F#*”@+g Cheating to improve ones score using outside help.

Because millions do it DOES NOT MEAN IT IS RIGHT >:( >:( >:( :-*

Did you know that TOC adjacent to the Eden Estuary is again fight the sea. Planting grasses has been going on for a while to build more big dunes to replace those washed away by winter storms – now a Caddie can tell you that without fear or favour. :o :'(

Come on Dan, you know the game and the right and wrongs. 8) ???

Love the Book, hate the information on yardage – interesting exercise or test, will players who use distance aids suffer more or less thnt Golfers who use their eye/brain coordination, by that I mean are they more likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease. Just a thought while I still have them. ??? ??? ???

Melvyn

Kirk Gill

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2011, 01:26:21 PM »
The distances provided in that yardage book are exhaustive. I may not love all of the distance aids that are used out there, but I can totally understand that tournament golf has a strong scientific, repeating element to it. If this information wasn't provided to everyone, then those who obtained it (by hook or by crook) would have an unfair advantage. I personally believe that the ability to perceive distances and make club and shot selections based on that ability is part of the game of golf, but I also know that it's not a big part of tournament golf which is all about execution and winning. I personally  use the 150 markers and even scan the occasional sprinkler head, and find that those numbers are typically fairly close to my guesstimates. My inabilitiy to execute shots of specific distances would make most of the information in a yardage book like that one superfluous, but I appreciate getting a chance to see what it looks like. Thanks for posting the link !
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

C. Squier

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »

Because millions do it DOES NOT MEAN IT IS RIGHT >:( >:( >:( :-*

Nor because some ODG didn't do it with his half cocked relative today does it make it wrong.

David_Tepper

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
"Nor because some ODG didn't do it with his half cocked relative today does it make it wrong."

Especially when that half-cocked relative has only the vaguest idea of what playing golf was like 100+ years ago!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 05:39:20 PM »

David

I am certain that you do believe it rather than trying to take the piss. But then when a family has been in the golf business since 1720 perhaps you would expect its members to talk to each other and from generation to generation. But then what do I know about Golf.

It’s funny how so many people seem to know me, my life, yet have never spoken to me or actually met me.

Melvyn

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »
Mel,

The converse is true:

Its funny how many courses in America you seem to think are absolute crap, even though you've never even seen them in person

P.S.  When that big raise comes thru or when The Donald gets elected president, (which ever comes 1st), I'll be on the 1st boat over to Scotland!  ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 05:57:44 PM »
Clint

Perhaps it’s the previous 500 years that I may be referring re distance aids. Although I know it’s difficult for you to remember more than just a couple of hundred years.

Kalen

It’s not your courses I have a problem with it’s the inability to honour the traditions of the Royal and Ancient Game of Golf yet you insist in saying you are playing golf when riding and using aids. From what I have read you have some real great courses and so you should with the numbers scattered around. Do not forget that my own great grandfather brought golf to Mobile and designed and built a golf course at Darien Georgia in the late 1870’s/80’s so why would I want to belittle your courses?  

Melvyn
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:00:41 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

David_Tepper

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 06:00:45 PM »
"when a family has been in the golf business since 1720"

Well, now your certainly have no right to complain when someone else tries to make a buck or a pound in the golf business! ;)

DT 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »

David

Its all balls, always has been, just plain simple balls - seems we know something about balls, way before OTM used a gutta. Perhaps that's the whole point, who has the balls to play golf ;)

Melvyn

JMEvensky

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »
MHM,the fact of the matter is that yardage books such as this one are your friend,not enemy.

If you've never had the pleasure of watching a hack try to deal with this much information overload,you should.Nothing will send them back to eye-balling yardages quicker.A yardage book like this one in the hands of a hack is a dangerous weapon.

SL_Solow

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »
It just struck me that one Jack Nicklaus was one of the first to make regular use of the yardage book.  I also recall he was given the freedom of the city by the citizens of St. Andrews in recognition of both his skill as a golfer and his contributions to the game.  If by using a yardage book one is not a "real golfer" does that mean St. Andrews should revoke the award?  Jack, who although imperfect has always exhibited great sportsmanship. is not a real golfer?  Just wondering?

David_Tepper

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »
"Its all balls, always has been, just plain simple balls - seems we know something about balls, way before OTM used a gutta."

Can someone translate this into English? ;)

DT

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2011, 04:23:04 AM »

David

I understand your confusion as I am referring to the golfing business, well that of making ball in the early 18th Century. Perhaps I do know a little more about the game than some may want to give me credit for.

What do you mean “Can someone translate this into English?” sure you do not mean American English, or is that “Colonial English”, perhaps you mean pigeon English. May I suggest you use one of those computer translation aids which I believe can measure the depth of the words and the length of the meaning while still keeping faith with the true meaning of the language – or do you need help with this as well.

Its a sod when you can't understand what your eyes can see ;)

Melvyn

William_G

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2011, 11:19:29 AM »
It just struck me that one Jack Nicklaus was one of the first to make regular use of the yardage book.  I also recall he was given the freedom of the city by the citizens of St. Andrews in recognition of both his skill as a golfer and his contributions to the game.  If by using a yardage book one is not a "real golfer" does that mean St. Andrews should revoke the award?  Jack, who although imperfect has always exhibited great sportsmanship. is not a real golfer?  Just wondering?

Pros like Jack use yardage books to play the course as best they can, and be that the the courses they play are not usually their home course, the aid of a map/guide helps them get a low score and win tournaments.

It's all about the golf!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2011, 11:25:27 AM »

William

Many thanks for that, say no more it proves my point and questions just how great were these Champions if they needed this type of help.

It has to leave a question mark.

Melvyn

David_Tepper

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »
Melvyn -

You're beautiful, like a character out of P.G. Wodehouse. You're the Roderick Spode of gca.com! ;)

DT

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »

David

If someone needs help judging distance, then his game has problems. If it’s acceptable to give him an edge over others who do not need aids then in my book that individual game is suspect. So the R&A have approved these aids, but they still go against the grain. They are just basically wrong.

Skills dos not materialise overnight or at the command of The R&A, it’s a process of learning and adjusting. Even the natural players still have to learn albeit, it comes quicker to them.

Something stinks here if to win or get a better score many ignore the facts saying it’s been agreed by the Governing Body, nevertheless it is not right and never part of the game over the last 500 years.

Call me what you want but take a long look in the mirror at the type of individual you have turned into – its right because it suites your purpose – tell me David is it right to crash planes into buildings because it suits someone else’s purpose. It’s wrong, it’s so instinctively wrong, but then when are we going to draw the line. The result is fundamentally different but it’s the same underlining problem of winning at any cost that drives people.

Distance is a false God and we should waste no time in stopping his followers getting wealthy by buying their products, but I suppose there is one born every minute so it will be a long fight before distance aids are repealed. And the true quality of the game shines through again.

Care for a Sherry David?  “A Croft Original Pale Cream Sherry — one instinctively knows when something is right!”

(from a 1985 Croft Sherry TV advert spoken by Bertie Worster to Jeeves).

Melvyn

David_Tepper

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »
Melvyn -

It takes a certain genius to link using a yardage book with flying a plane into a building. Well done, Mr. Spode!

DT  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:08:16 PM by David_Tepper »

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »
Melvyn,
             Have you given consideration to building or purchasing your own course?
              Your course, your rules.

Bruce

David_Elvins

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2011, 03:02:10 PM »

William

Many thanks for that, say no more it proves my point and questions just how great were these Champions if they needed this type of help.

It has to leave a question mark.

Melvyn

Melvyn, I would question all the champions after 1644 who played with the aid of clubs. We traditionalists yearn for the day before some golfer got an unfair advantage of hitting a ball with a stick or club.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

SL_Solow

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2011, 03:47:53 PM »
Among others, the most significant fallacy in Melvyn's argument is the assumption that current players "need" yardage books.  I suggest that they believe that knowledge of exact distances to targets improves their ability to plan the shot.  If the yardage books were forbidden, as Melvyn suggests, there is nothing to indicate that they would not continue to be outstanding players.  But given the option of having exact rather than inexact information, they choose exact information.  Once they have their distance, they must still factor in wind, elevation changes, firmness of greens, location of hazards etc in selecting a club and shot.  So the cataclysmic change to the game is not that significant.  I further suggest that before yardage books were common, tournament players knew what club to hit to greens from certain landing areas and then factored in the other conditions as needed.  So the change is more of degree rather than a change in the nature of the game.  Finally, those who play by distance alone and fail to factor in the other variables are limited as players.  All in all, much ado about very little.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2011, 04:00:14 PM »
Why do i find myself curious as to what clubs Melvyn plays with today? Does he wear a tie and tweed jacket when playing? I assume plus fours are a given?

he has moved to #1 on my list of GCAers I would like to play golf with. Only because Ran and Ben have already been subjected to the torture that is playing with me.  ;)

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2011, 04:03:38 PM »
Melvyn,
I am delighted that you are such a traditionalist, bordering on being fundamentalist in regards to “....the greatest gemme” and religious in your zealous approach to protecting the sanctity of our gowf. However I cannot quite place you in time. I suspect that you were just a tad too young to be a compatriot of Bertie Wooster. Given that.... what clubs and type of ball did you play with as a youngster in the thirties? Did you ever play seriously with a gutta percha or was it hickory and Haskell? Did you progress to steel shafts and inserts on your wooden clubfaces? When did you find that the game’s technology was detrimental to the game’s spirit? Was it titanium drivers, graphite shafts or the modern Titleist ball that was the straw to break the camel’s back?
I am asking in the friendliest of spirits and am genuinely interested as your history intrigues me.

Yours aye,
Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2011, 05:52:29 PM »

Colin

I have clubs that run up to the late 1980’s. I just cannot bring myself to even consider purchasing a club that makes a Ting sound from the Tee. What a pathetic excuse of a club they are and yet players buy them.

I love the sound of a good shot and will tolerate from time to time the vibration running up the club into ones arms, but a high pitch ting, I just would not know which way to turn. Progress, well if that progress to help you better your score, No thanks.

As for distance aids,  they are just not required,  a golfer will quickly get his/her eyes back to judge distance hence why I feel it is the most ridicules aid around. It just undermines the golfer, its show lack of faith in his/her own ability at a time when confidence should be pumping throughout his game.

It’s a crutch to aid the doubters, who feel intimidated by other players, although it is of no actual benefit to any real golfer. As for the electronic boys, they are most enjoyable, watch them go through their mating dance armed with the Range Finder. Its like watching a guy desperate to become a father but keeps using a condom, someone should tell him where he is going wrong.

A golfer does not need distance aids, his own natural God given abilities will do a better job and faster given the golfer even more confidence in his game.  I agree with “All in all, much ado about very little" so why use the distance aids in the first place.

Colin it was seeing the modern clubs reducing the quality of some of our great Holes and Courses.  Forcing the course to become longer, cost more and maintenance cost to keep rising, yet for what actual benefit, so a hand full now drive the Greens. Add to that that many an old club/course have very little room to expand. The consequence of their actions IMHO are destroying that which we on this site say we hold dear. Anyway why have our own Governing Body not stepped in and taken some firm action by now, that’s part of their remit.

Melvyn   

Kalen Braley

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back