News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Masters Yardage Book
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »
I thought that you guys might be interested in seeing a yardage book from the Masters.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/464463-kevin-streelmans-yardage-book-from-the-2011-masters

Cheers, Jerry

Jim Franklin

Re: Masters Yardage Book
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »
That's pretty cool. Thanks.
Mr Hurricane

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 09:54:52 AM »
Great find!

I don't feel so bad about using my SkyCaddy now - I get almost no info compared to that yardage book :)

William_G

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:18:37 AM »
It's all about the golf!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »
The "thud-heard-round-the-world" was Melyvn falling off his chair.  ;)

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 11:07:38 AM »
Very cool.   Interesting note on 9.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »

No Jim

I was laughing at those who are so unsure of themselves that they will go to any level to try – well let’s just call it ‘an assisted score’.

To me it’s the equivalent to the big “C” re our health

It surprises me just how weak many are in this world that they willing admit to needing distance aids to play a game of golf. :-[

Call it what you will, but at the end of the day, no matter how nice the book,  golfers have not the ball to play their own game but needed help – so excuse me as I watch you guys ruining a great part of the pleasure of the game for yourselves. :'(

You see, I’m not the loser, you who resort to distance aids are. I just can’t see why you want to discard the heart of the game, but then that’s down to you and I will refrain from calling you all losers as only you can honestly judge yourselves.

Melvyn

C. Squier

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
so excuse me

Melvyn

This is the dream we're all wishing to come true.  

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 03:02:11 PM »
Melvyn -

Didn't generals from days goe by use maps in order to prepare for battle? I think using the yardage book is like preparing to go to battle on a particular course. I like to plan things and you can do that with a yardage book. "People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan".
Mr Hurricane

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »

Jim

Its a Game not a F#@kin* war.

Why not have a causality list too, but I suppose if you use carts then you expect to measure distance. It was a game of thinking and walking nothing more.

Melvyn

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 04:04:28 PM »

Jim

Its a Game not a F#@kin* war.

Why not have a causality list too, but I suppose if you use carts then you expect to measure distance. It was a game of thinking and walking nothing more.

Melvyn

Melyvn,

That same bit of logic can be twisted right back around, by claiming "its just a game"

Its not life or death if someone uses a yardage book.
Its not life or death if someone uses a cart.
Its not life or death is someone uses a range finder.
etc, etc.

Just get out of the house, enjoy the sunshine and have a few relaxing hours out with mother nature!!   ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »

Kalen

Its simple mate you are not playing Golf if you use these aids.  If you cannot read distance what the hell are you doing on a golf course?

If you want to play then play the Game not this make-up game which makes it all so easy. Christ what is the point, where is the challenge or the fun?

If you feel you have to use aids, then do so but have the balls to admit YOU NEEDED HELP. Its not war its being HONEST WITH YOURSELF.

Melvyn

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 05:12:22 PM »
Melvyn -

I walk and carry my own clubs 90% of my rounds. I like yardage books.
Mr Hurricane

C. Squier

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
Melvyn, is it possible to respectfully ask you to leave this thread alone so that the 1199 others on this forum who don't see yardage books as the work of the devil can enjoy the topic?  Seriously, we all know your stance.  And for those that don't, I'm sure you stand ready to copy/paste your rant on another thread.  But please, leave just one thread about distance alone. 

George Freeman

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »
If you want to play then play the Game not this make-up game which makes it all so easy. Christ what is the point, where is the challenge...

Melvyn,

You think distance aids make the game easy?  Isn't the average handicap in the mid to high 20s?  I hardly think golf is an easy game, irrespective of whether or not you use distance aids...

To each their own...  Not sure why you can't just accept that.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 05:31:07 PM »
Good for you Jim

One day soon you may be able to call yourself a golfer ;)

Melvyn

PS Kalen, I was  not going to post but Jim K mentioned my name, so I made a comment. Tell you what stop killing this site with the top 100 best this or best ot that listing and I will hold on some of my comments. The top 100 courses have zero to do with GCA, its all about Marketing, selling the name, its PR and FA to do with GCA.  So if they stop, I'll stop. Seems a fair deal to me.

George, I do accept it but I also wonder why you guys can't accept that Golf is about understand the architecture, the layout, the land, about judging distances, walking and has been for generations. I do accept you can play it anyway you want becasue the R&A are shit at doing their job. They are IMHO an insult to the people of Scotland and the game. 

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »
Baby steps Melvyn, baby steps ;D.
Mr Hurricane

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »

Like it Jim, like it 8)

Melvyn

V. Kmetz

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 05:40:22 PM »
awesome thank you so much!
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »
Melvyn -

Didn't generals from days goe by use maps in order to prepare for battle? I think using the yardage book is like preparing to go to battle on a particular course. I like to plan things and you can do that with a yardage book. "People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan".

I also love yardage books as plans of attack, but even more as souvenirs and memory joggers.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »
Mel,

Its all good baby, I was just yanking yer chain.  ;D

But the reality is life is too short to have so many arbitrary rules concerning do this, or don't do that.  In the words of Will Hunting just seek out in life whatever things "blow your hair back"....and do em as much as possible!

William_G

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 06:13:08 PM »
Thanks again, just realized what all the red dots were...the direction toward Rae's Creek, LOL!
It's all about the golf!

Alex Miller

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
Thanks again, just realized what all the red dots were...the direction toward Rae's Creek, LOL!

Haha! good spot Gray, don't know how we missed that one.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
What I can't believe is all the lame-ass sissy so-called golfers out there using those new-fangled sand irons. Ever since Gene Sarazen cheated his way to victory by building up a flange on the back of a wedge bunkers have ceased to be a hazard. I feel sorry for all you youngsters who think you're really playing golf with one (or more than one! multiple wedges are another thing that ought to be against the Rules) of those contraptions in your bag.

What's next, are we going to start raking bunkers smooth every morning so nobody has to know how to gouge the ball out of an old deer print or gully washed out in the last rain? It's a slippery slope once you start using these modern crutches instead of playing with a crooked stick and a sack stuffed full of feathers. Next thing you know they'll be using mechanical mowing machines to groom the fairways...

Benny Hillard

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
I also love yardage books as plans of attack, but even more as souvenirs and memory joggers.
[/quote]

I agree with you there Bill.
Im fairly new to the golf architecture scene but have tried to see as many courses as possible.
I like yardage books as a souvenier and when people refer to holes on GCA or in convo a yardage book and photos are an awesome asset to have.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back