News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Let me dispel the myth, ANGC
« on: April 10, 2011, 12:59:55 PM »
is NOT a ground game golf course.

ANGC is predominantly an aerial golf course.

The ground game is NOT in evidence on holes:

2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16 and 18.

And, on holes 1, 5, 8, 11, 14 and 17 it's rarely, rarely a prefered option.

In addition, ANGC is a WINTER golf course, opening in October and closing not long after the Masters has been completed.

JC Jones

Re: Let me dispel the myth, ANGC
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »
Pat,

Do you find it interesting that many of the negative comments are coming from people who haven't been to ANGC?

Do you think people have no problem ripping the golf course because they know they'll never play it and that is what really pisses them off?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »
Pat,

Do you find it interesting that many of the negative comments are coming from people who haven't been to ANGC?

Not really.

Those who have walked or played it, understand it, it's architecture and it's brilliance.

But, what you see on TV, while very informative, doesn't tell the real or entire story about ANGC.
Hence, the negative comments.

Do you think people have no problem ripping the golf course because they know they'll never play it and that is what really pisses them off?

That's certainly possible, but more than anything, I think it's the lack of information that leads them astray.

After watching the Massters for decades, I was shocked by what I didn't see on TV, and I think that's the problem most have, the lack of important data/details

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 02:48:57 PM »
Pat,

I agree.  I've watched most every round of the Masters on TV for the last 25 years.  I thought I knew the golf course pretty well.  After walking the course on Wednesday, I realized that I knew very little if anything about the golf course.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »
Any roars today? Can't wait to see what you guys bitch about today. ;)

John Shimp

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 03:28:34 PM »
Agreed.  you pick up so much being there in person and much more playing.

That said, the comments re lack of strategy and dart throwing are asinine and can quickly be dispelled watching tv. Did you see Woods 8 iron on 6?  A brilliant option to go way right and use the hill.  Every single hole has this stuff.  Watch what the players are attempting and where they are looking.  It's not straight forward.

Also, it's a real easy course to mess up on despite it's width and low number of typical hazards.  I love the good and bad rhythms players can get in or out of at angc.  It is truly brilliant. 

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 04:27:39 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that in its original incarnation it was very F&F and that when closed for WWII it went soft.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 04:44:14 PM »
It may not offer the ground game options which were in its original design, but there is certainly enough elevation change and contours in and around the green complexes to give each player a variety of shots.  Case in point, Schwartzel's hole out on #1 today.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 07:00:04 PM »
Augusta National just might be the best routed golf course in the world. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »
Augusta National just might have the best set of greens in the world.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »
JC, seriously, give it a rest. Walking the course once does not make you an expert.

BCrosby

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 07:05:07 PM »
Maybe I missed something. Who thinks ANGC is primarily a ground game course?

Bob

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »
I know diddly squat about ANGC, but today "the ground game" is all about recovery.  Charl Schwartzel(sp?) will thank God he'd never heard of Pat Mucci before he played hole no 1 today.  Outside of The (Britannia) Open I can't think of any tournament where you see the ball roll half as much.  Isn't that what the ground game is all about? Please put me straight with as much colour as you can!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:19:21 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 07:19:21 PM »
JC, seriously, give it a rest. Walking the course once does not make you an expert.

But watching it on TV a hundred times does?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 07:24:10 PM »
I know diddly squat about ANGC, but today "the ground game" is all about recovery. 

That's NOT what people are refering to when they reference the "ground" game.

Charl Swatsl(sp?) will thank God he'd never heard of Pat Mucci before he played hole no 1 today. 

Sorry, He already knows me from Florida. ;D
By the way, on the short 3rd, where he holed out, did he bump and run that shot or use the aerial game.
How about all his other approaches, ground or aerial game ?

Outside of the (Britannia) Open I can't think of any tournament where you see the ball roll half as much. 

Not according to Don Mahaffey.

Isn't that what the ground game is all about?

No, it's not about chipping and pitching around the green, it's about approaches to the green

Please put me straight with as much col as you can!

Tony,

If what happened on # 1 is your definition of the ground game, you're out of touch with the golf world.
Chipping and pitching have always been a part of golf in the U.S.

Richard Choi

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »

Who said anything about that?

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 07:28:04 PM »

Actually Richard playing it 100 times doesn't make you an expert which is one of the beauties of the design of ANGC.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 07:29:14 PM »

In addition, ANGC is a WINTER golf course, opening in October and closing not long after the Masters has been completed.

Augusta, Georgia is not Florida.  Winter is not warm.  I understand July and August in Georgia being unbearable.  But, why does ANGC close so early and open so late?  Tradition?

David Lott

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »
Great tournament, extremely entertaining. Course difficult but not impossible, and it gave excellent golfers a chance to show their stuff. What's not to like?
David Lott

Richard Choi

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 07:34:15 PM »

Actually Richard playing it 100 times doesn't make you an expert which is one of the beauties of the design of ANGC.

I think Phil and Tiger would disagree with that...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »

Augusta, Georgia is not Florida.

Georgia borders Florida and August isn't that far away.

Winter is not warm.  

It's a lot warmer than Philadelphia, New York and Boston.

I understand July and August in Georgia being unbearable.  
But, why does ANGC close so early and open so late?  Tradition?NO

ANGC and the Augusta area were winter destinations, winter resorts.

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 08:20:31 PM »

I never claimed to be an expert.  I said I knew nothing of the course until I walked it.  Even though, like you, I thought I knew everything from watching it on TV.

Richard Choi

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »

I never claimed to be an expert.  I said I knew nothing of the course until I walked it.  Even though, like you, I thought I knew everything from watching it on TV.

JC, unlike you, I didn't say that I know anything about ANGC. All I am talking about is that the greens are soft. Which you can tell either by watching the telecast or listening to the players. Maybe it is just me, but when I see an approach hit the ground and don't move much or hit and spin back, I can infer that the greens are soft. And I can usually tell that even though I have never visted the course. I didn't infer anything about things like elevation changes or specific hole strategies.

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 09:47:25 PM »
Pat,

I agree.  I've watched most every round of the Masters on TV for the last 25 years.  I thought I knew the golf course pretty well.  After walking the course on Wednesday, I realized that I knew very little if anything about the golf course.

JC,
That's quite a statement.

I'll go a step further.
Every year I walk the course and then watch it on TV.
Watching it on TV, I always forget how severe the slopes are and am lulled to sleep........until I see it again live the next year
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Gary Slatter

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 09:51:45 PM »
well said.  Never was.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back