News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Peninsula Cup at Kingsley Club 8/3-8/6
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »
I have been informed that Justin Mack, Head Golf Professional at the Kingsley Club, has extended an invitation to the GCA brethren to the 2011 Peninsula Cup at the Kingsley Club this August! This stacks up to be a great event on a great track. I'm saddened that I'll be unable to attend this year as I'll just be returning from a Bandon trip with a large group that was planned last fall, but I heartily recommend that anyone interested take advantage of this offer from Justin.  Those who've played the course know how fun and challenging it can be as well as how relaxed and pure the atmosphere at the club is.  Those who haven't owe it to themselves to find out.  There are Senior and Mid teams as well as a Net division if there's a strong enough turn out.  Here's the details of the event:

2011 Peninsula Cup
August 3rd-6th, 2011

Tournament Format:

Two (2) man teams, better ball, gross score (no handicaps) for three (3) rounds (54 holes) over three (3) days.  
Two (2) flights; Mid (26 to 49 years old), Senior (50+ years old)
The team with the lowest gross score in its flight wins the first place Ewing Cup trophy. Second place teams in each flight receive engraved silver hardware. Anyone over the age of 26 can compete in the Mid division if they so choose.

Schedule

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011

Players registration; practice round if desired (All Day)
Informal gathering at clubhouse terrace and pavilion including cocktails & hors d’oeuvres (Early Evening)

Thursday, August 4th, 2011

Round 1 of the tournament
11:00 am shotgun start for all competitors
Informal buffet dinner & cocktail party for players at the clubhouse pavilion (Early Evening After Play Concludes)

Friday August 5th, 2011

Round 2 of tournament.
Tee Times starting at 9:00 am off #1 and #10 tee
Open evening for competitors

Saturday, August 6th, 2011

Final round of tournament
8:30 am shotgun start for all competitors
Closing ceremony and winners’ trophy presentation at the pavilion as soon as the final round is completed.
Airport and hotel shuttle will be available following ceremony, if requested.

Amenities

Transportation will be provided by the club for players and companions who elect not to rent or drive.  Players will be transported to and from the club, hotel, and airport at their pre arranged request.

A buffet breakfast will be served at the club each morning of the tournament.  Snacks, sandwiches, beverages, and other dishes will be available at the “turn”.  Beverages of choice will also be available as players complete their round of golf each day.

The Kingsley Club has limited lodging in both Guest Cottages and newly remodeled River Camp.  If you are interested in lodging at the Kingsley Club, we recommend you reserve your stay immediately.  We are arranging additional lodging at the Fairfield Inn in Traverse City; blocking rooms for the evenings of August 3rd through 5th at a great rate of $127.00 per evening.  To receive this rate, simply mention your participating in the Peninsula Cup.  This hotel is centrally located between restaurants, pubs, shops, Grand Traverse Bay, and many other entertainment venues.  The Traverse City Convention and Visitors Bureau, will assist all players and companions with tours, local information, arranging everything from dining to horseback riding or even boating, if desired. The Traverse City Region is great for a family getaway!  

Registration

You may fill out you and your partners information on the club’s website, or by phone. Simply mention your Golf Club Atlas connection.
Website: www.kingsleyclub.com. Click on the “Peninsula Cup” registration link.  The form is user friendly and easy to fill out and send to the club.
Email: jmack@kingsleyclub.com
Phone:  231.263.3000 You may call the club for a registration form, if you so desire.  We will fax you the form, which once completed can be submitted by mail, fax, or email.
Mail: Any completed entry may be mailed for submission at the below address:

Kingsley Club
Peninsula Cup Tournament
600 Niblick Trail
Kingsley, MI 49649

Entry Fee

The entry fee is $600 per team ($300 per player).  Players must include payment with entry form unless registering online at which you will be contacted for payment via telephone.  The entry fee may be paid with check or credit card.  We look forward to hosting you and your partner at the Peninsula Cup tournament this August.  In the meantime please don’t hesitate to call us at 231-263-3000 with any questions, requests, and comments.   You may also visit our website www.kingsleyclub.com for a tour of the course.

There's room for 50 twosomes total including the members so sign up now and enjoy! Feel free to IM me with questions.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:43:48 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Freeman

Re: Peninsula Cup at Kingsley Club 8/3-8/6
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 03:20:25 PM »
Bump

Hard to beat that price for all that is included!

Thanks for posting Jud
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 06:39:43 PM »
George,

I'd ask to play in it with you but every time we are partners at Kingsley I have to birdie the 18th to win the match for us.  Two years in a row is just too much for me, I don't know if I could handle a third. ;) ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
Jud,

This sounds really cool and thanks for the open invite, but alas ... out.

The Boomerang this year took up any and all time off I'd ever have this year.

Definitely envious though and will be on the lookout for the feedback...

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

George Freeman

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:05:53 PM »
George,

I'd ask to play in it with you but every time we are partners at Kingsley I have to birdie the 18th to win the match for us.  Two years in a row is just too much for me, I don't know if I could handle a third. ;) ;D

JC,

You don't have to remind me!  As is usual, your back must have been getting sore at TKC.  Here's to hoping you make the trip!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Freeman

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
bump
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »
Wonderful opportunity.  I cannot make it because I play in another event that same weekend.  Otherwise, I would try and make this happen.

George Freeman

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:32:57 AM »
bump
Mayhugh is my hero!!

George Freeman

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 09:40:17 AM »
bump
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:36:27 AM »
Bump?  Or thud?  The non-reaction is intriguing, isn't it?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 10:41:41 AM »
I would love to play in this event and was invited a few years ago. Unfortunately, it coincides with a business event held the same time each year for me. I will be in Denver that week, but would much rather be at Kingsley.
Mr Hurricane

George Freeman

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »
Bump?  Or thud?  The non-reaction is intriguing, isn't it?

Terry - thud might be right.  I too am surprised this isn't generating more buzz.  It is an amazing deal/opportunity...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 10:50:51 AM »
Around here, the course has generated its share of fawning, which makes the yawning surprising.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 10:56:14 AM »
Terry,

We need to get you up there and you be the judge.   ;)   
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Will MacEwen

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 11:10:22 AM »
Around here, the course has generated its share of fawning, which makes the yawning surprising.

For me, it is a matter of distance and timing.  Summer non-family travel is a tall order. 

I'm a little surprised by the quiet reception here though.

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »
This sounds great.  I have a friend in Chicago who would probably play with me. 

My main question is I am not really all that good. 12 handicap and very erratic.   Love golf though and great places like this place sounds.

My partner would be a high single digit out of a tough nationally ranked course, so he can play a bit but I doubt we could compete at all?

What is the talent level of the field?  All low singles or some just out there for fun?

Thanks

Dan

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 11:34:27 AM »
Event usually has a good combination of playing ablilities, so no need for anyone to feel out of place...just a great fun event on , a  super fun course.

I am trying to fit it into my schedule...always worth it...great area to take the wifeas well, good eating places, nice scenery for romantic walks etc...

George Freeman

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 11:40:40 AM »
This sounds great.  I have a friend in Chicago who would probably play with me. 

My main question is I am not really all that good. 12 handicap and very erratic.   Love golf though and great places like this place sounds.

My partner would be a high single digit out of a tough nationally ranked course, so he can play a bit but I doubt we could compete at all?

What is the talent level of the field?  All low singles or some just out there for fun?

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

I wouldn’t worry about that at all.  If needed, the club has said they would do a net division.  However, at the end of the day, it’s more about the course than the tourney (IMO).  I’ve heard it’s a really fun event and I can vouch for the course!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 11:45:33 AM »
Dan,

1.  You're ability is right in the wheelhouse and it's mainly a fun event.  The whole atmosphere of the place is about as relaxed as you can get.

2.  Don't expect to shoot your handicap... ;D

George Freeman

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 07:44:31 AM »
Bump
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 08:59:32 AM »
Signed up yesterday...lets get as many gca's as possible and have a get together one evening.
Great fun event on a very fun golf course at a very reasonable rate..

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 09:09:27 AM »
Jud,

Great opportunity.

My fiancé is from nearby Petoskey so I have a place to stay.

I plan to sign up this afternoon.

Wondering if it is acceptable to miss the practice round on Wed as I plan to head up after work that day from Pittsburgh? If it is acceptable, can my partner and I schedule a practice round for an alternative time?

Looking forward to it.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »
I cannot express how much fun this event is..low key, but the course itself is clearly the star.
Mike Devries usually is around on at least one of the days, and he is a host full of wonderful insight and education,
I am sure with a sufficeint number of gca personel, he woukld be willing to sit down and give us all a start to finish on the project...

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »
Jud,

Great opportunity.

My fiancé is from nearby Petoskey so I have a place to stay.

I plan to sign up this afternoon.

Wondering if it is acceptable to miss the practice round on Wed as I plan to head up after work that day from Pittsburgh? If it is acceptable, can my partner and I schedule a practice round for an alternative time?

Looking forward to it.

I think it's fine to miss the practice round.  As for rescheduling, you may have to pay an additional greens fee, I'd check with them...

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 09:22:25 PM »
Same dates as my annual Boy's Weekend trip. Too bad, Kingsley is amazing!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back