News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: July 1-3 Outing at Dismal River
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2011, 11:47:38 AM »
I think it reflects Doak's feelings on my bunker building ability 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2011, 11:53:42 AM »
Eric, JNC - bless you guys, you're still in the game!! I mean, I've done some drinking in my life, but at this point I can't even IMAGINE knocking back tequilas and pints of beer after a round of golf. All I hope for is a bottle of mineral water and someone to hold me up in the shower before tucking me into bed with a cup of mint tea and a book.  Yup -- a real outdoorsy type...

Peter

JNC Lyon

« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »
Unreal.  I have no comment on those two pictures.  ::) :P ;D
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Chris Johnston

« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »

Patron - what's with the coffee cup? 

btw - I would have left the bottle at the table.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2011, 02:36:39 PM »
The flash-eye treatment on the first photo looks like it is from 'Children from the Corn'!

The condition of that pasture in the bucolic scenes is positively gorgeous. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »

I have no clue about the coffee cup.  I do know that Big E was constantly outdrinking me, so I always had two beers to his one.  And we didn't get a bottle at the table, mainly because we didn't plan on drinking that much (or at least I didn't).  It's okay, I was just so excited about the Chef's work that day.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2011, 03:27:29 PM »

Chris - I think that was my cup. I had a Bailey's and coffee when these guys were downing their first beer. I hit the road when they started doubling up, drinking beers and tequila shots at the same time. I knew there was going to be Hell to pay the next morning... and, I can promise it was not a pretty sight at breakfast!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tim Martin

« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
Patron?? Who??

You know who!! :-X ;D

Great pictures.Was the coffee cup loaded with fresh lime wedges ready for action? Why does JNC look blurry? I will understand if you can`t or won`t answer my questions. ;D

Chris Johnston

« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2011, 11:37:38 PM »
Looks like Eric "clank" Smith really enjoyed that shot!

Clank = the sound made when you hit the windmill tower on #4 at Dismal River.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »

This looks link one of those special places. Hope to get cleared for next year.

Anthony

Carl Nichols

« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »
Wow, with all that lush grassland this year, you'd think we'd see some drop in prices of beef in fall.  Skip the corn fattening e-coli soaked feedlot and get them grassland fed beauties straight to market!

Would help with the soil erosion and the flooding in the midwest too. 

Had a grassfed burger the other night; once you go grass you never go back.

The beef in Argentina is the best I've ever had, and until recently all grass fed.  Sadly, I recently read that there are now a couple of American style feed lots.  However, I doubt the feed will be corn.   I have heard that are far more antibiotics used in agriculture than medicine.  L :P

Bill:
There are more than just a couple.  My wife's cousin owns a big ranch in Argentina and apparently you can fatten a cow 2-3 times faster in a feed lot, so unless you're going for really high-end beef, there's a lot of pressure to convert.   

Harris Nepon

« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »
Is it to early to put my name in for next years 5th major?

I'm drinking the Dismal River Kool-Aid in a bad way.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »

You beat me to it.  I was going to ask the same thing!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »

You beat me to it.  I was going to ask the same thing!

The best way to get in on the next 5th Major is to go out to 5.1 later this year.

Sean Leary

« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2011, 10:37:12 AM »
Course looks great. Of course it always looked great to me even when it opened. How things change....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »
Just got back home from my road trip from Philly to Sutton Bay to the Back Hills back to Dismal River and Sand Hills.  We had an A+ time, and the 5th Major was the cornerstone of the fun.

Dismal River was amazing.  Chris Johnston was an amazing host and his staff was world-class.  The guys acting as caddies are actually much better golfers than many of us, and their knowledge added to the experience.  I know how tough it is to run a tournament, especially with 7 teams, some of whom needed to leave early on Sunday.  Great job, Eric!

I also have a renewed respect for Nicklaus design.  I thought the course was fun, whimsical, and full of surprises.  The green surfaces were very well designed, forcing the player to be on the right portion to have a shot at holing the putt.  The bunkers were well placed and looked nothing like earlier Nicklaus courses I had played.   Honestly, they looked more Doak/Hanse/C&C than Nicklaus, which was fine with me.

Jack also used elevation changes very well.  #5 and #6 were masterful uphill shots and there weren't any "signature" drop shots to be found.  Nice!

But best of all, Dismal River has a soul.  It's tough to put my finger on it, but it's definitely there.  Dismal River is a VERY special place that I dare say can be transformational.  There's a sense of peace out there that's impossible to fake.  I don't know if it's the easily seen Milky Way, the atmosphere where everybody there (staff, golfers, guests) is part of a family, Chris Johnston's love of the place, or a very, very good and wonderfully fun golf course......   

Guys - you owe it to yourself to get to Dismal River, and you'll be glad you did.

Last note - We played at Sand Hills on Monday.  It's only about 8 miles away as the crow flies, but it's about a 45 minute drive if you decide to take paved roads.  We all know about the greatness of Sand Hills, and the accolades are deserved.  I have nothing but the highest praises for Sand Hills....    But, the closeness of Sand Hills and Dismal River provides a great opportunity for golf architecture study - to look at the contrasts and similarities and to realize that C&C and Jack both built something special in their own way in what is probably the most remote part of the lower 48.

PS - I thought the Dismal River chef did world-class work.  Great choices, great greens...  I loved the way he used the "sense of place" in his dishes....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:50:36 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Eric Smith

« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »
Dan,

Thank you for coming to the 5th Major. It really was a fun time, wasn't it? You and Laura are two of the nicest folks on the planet and it was great to finally get to meet the both of you. You'll have to come back again. How's Laura's back holding up? Was she able to play when you were at Sand Hills?

Eric Smith

« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2011, 11:40:38 AM »

Harris,

I'd love to see you come for the next one. You have to bring your sidekick along as well. He has a fairly substantial bar credit he can cash in when you all arrive...so you've got that going for you! ;D

Matt Bosela

« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2011, 11:56:14 AM »

Harris,

I'd love to see you come for the next one. You have to bring your sidekick along as well. He has a fairly substantial bar credit he can cash in when you all arrive...so you've got that going for you! ;D

Eric,

I'm 100% in for next year if invited and I will happily cash in on that bar credit after our first day on the course. 

That said, I feel it's important to get one thing straight before we move forward - Harris is MY sidekick, not the other way around!

:D ;)

Eric Smith

« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2011, 11:59:54 AM »

Harris,

Eric,

I'm 100% in for next year if invited and I will happily cash in on that bar credit after our first day on the course. 

That said, I feel it's important to get one thing straight before we move forward - Harris is MY sidekick, not the other way around!

:D ;)

Fish on! ;D I have you and Harris first on the invite list, after the 14 who attended this year. We're gonna have some fun!

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »
Chris,
For those of us who actually grew up on a ranch and raised cattle, you don't talk like a cowman.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2011, 01:35:20 PM »
Chris,
For those of us who actually grew up on a ranch and raised cattle, you don't talk like a cowman.

Brad - I live in Jackson Hole - cattle out there are very gentrified, well groomed, and mostly hobby cows. ;)  Sadly, ranching is mostly dying out our way.

Me?  I'm "all hat and no cattle", but am world class at the consumption end of the business. :'(  I did participate in my first branding this year and, after the requisite teasing, did receive my initiation and official pen knife!  As a result of my inexperience, there are a ton of double branded cattle now in the Sandhills.   ::)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »
Eric,
Yep - Laura played Sand Hills and played darn well...  Shot a 95 and had a blast - she even parred #17, which may be one of the best par 3's I've ever seen.  Our only "issue" at Sand Hills was that we were done in about 3 hours.    Could have played again, but we chilled on Ben's Porch, cleaned up, and grabbed a fantastic dinner in the clubhouse.

John_Conley

« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2011, 11:31:18 PM »
  Could have played again, but we chilled on Ben's Porch, cleaned up, and grabbed a fantastic dinner in the clubhouse.

Did the server tell you the Special was fish?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back