News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

...is now re-posted under In My Opinion. Here is the link:

https://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/wexler-daniel-augusta/

Far and away, Augusta National is the most scrutinized and written about course in the United States, if not the world. Recently, additional great pieces have come forth highlighted by Ron Whitten's just published one. GolfClubAtlas.com's take on the evolution of Augusta National is by Daniel Wexler. A slightly different version was posted in March 2009 but it was lost in the melee when we moved everything over to Word Press that April.

The irony in re-posting Dan's work a few weeks prior to the Masters is rich.

On the one hand, The Masters made Alister MacKenzie perhaps the most recognized name of the Golden Age architects. It also has done the world of architecture great good by beaming into to people's living rooms risk reward holes and greens where you have to hit to x to end up at y. These is especially true back in the 1970s and 1980s when such features didn't readily exist on courses that received television coverage (the Kapalua Plantation's of the world have changed that to a degree these days). Certainly, we can all agree that great architecture played a key role in the drama that unfolded on golf's finest day in April, 1986.

On the other hand, The Master Golf Club :( has destroyed MacKenzie's most original design. Dan, as usual, nails it when he writes, "But in the end, perhaps the biggest difference between Augusta then and now is simply the role of Bobby Jones. For it was Jones's vision that brought aboard Dr. MacKenzie, and led to the creation of so stunningly unique a golf course,  a layout that was the living embodiment of all he believed comprised great design. Jones did, in fact, sign off on numerous course changes made during his lifetime, but when one considers the reduced modern playing strategies of many holes, par 5s which no longer tempt so many aggressive second shots and, above all, the recent addition of rough and trees, it becomes difficult to accept the notion that Jones's wishes for his golf course are still, in any meaningful way, being adhered to."

Seeing Jones's and MacKenzie's vision of great golf trampled for the sake of a hosting an annual event was unnecessary and therefore a tragic loss for golf course architecture. At the end of this article, Dan highlights twelve holes and the changes that would bring the course more in line with its founder's vision. None of the restoration is complicated but the words 'restoration' and 'Augusta National' haven't ever even been uttered together.

In re-reading it, I am reminded of MacKenzie's lost course in Argentina whose plans were rediscovered and hopefully will one day be built in Texas. My question: Why not rebuild- Augusta National? Talk about a lost design/philosophy, one whose architectural remnants are still capable of producing top tier drama  despite decade's of artless tinkering. MacKenzie's less is more design was evidently too complicated for the people who called the shots there to understand but that's no longer true. More and more people at the club level grasp what constitutes engaging architecture and there are several architects alive that could find the healthy balance between MacKenzie/Jones's thoughts and the need for the course to test the best each April. Such thoughts don't include trees and the narrowing of playing corridors either :( .

Regardless of the thorny matter of a club that wraps itself in history only to then ignore it, it is always a happy day for GolfClubAtlas.com to post anything written by Dan Wexler. Hope you enjoy it, again!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:05:38 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Tom_Doak

Ran:

Didn't you see that thread where the back nine of Augusta National now exists in Thailand?  ::)

Niall C

Ran

Interesting comments and I look forward to reading Dan's piece. Your comments do though make me wonder, how good was the original course, and how would we view it today if the Masters tournament hadn't taken off the way it has ? I'm sure we can all buy in to some extent to the ideals behind it, but how good was the execution of those ideals and would they stand upt today ?

Niall

Jason Topp

Thanks for getting this  back on the site.  I think it provides a pretty balanced overview while espousing a clear point of view.  It looks like some editing still needs to be done early on in the article.

The Ron Whitten Golf Digest article is here:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/georgia/augusta-changes

Wade Whitehead

Augusta National made The Masters and vice versa.

I sometimes wonder what each would be without the other.  It's a ridiculous exercise but the relationship (between course and event) is unique in the world of sport.

I believe Mr. Jones would have maintained more focus on the amateur game than The Masters now does.  I have to think he would want to erase some of the changes made to the golf course, too.

WW

Mac Plumart

We are getting some really nice IMO pieces lately.  Kudos!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jim Nugent

Excellent piece.  Of the 22 original bunkers, several did not come into play.  The fairway bunker on today's 18 is one example.  Same with the fairway bunker on today's 14.  Wonder why they built them?

Also, was Roberts the "second-hand man" of Jones, or from pretty early on did it turn out the other way around? 

Jeff_Brauer

Looking at how successful the place has been, I would guess the good doctors first comment would be, "Holy Crap, why didn't I ever get paid?"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Peter Pallotta

Thanks much, Daniel - a comprehensive and very well written piece (I especially like the use of "profligate" to describe today's stimp readings).  I'll go back to it again and again. Reading it through once (and probably being influenced by other things I've read), I was struck by the balance Jones and Mackenzie tried to achieve between a members' course and a championship course; between everyday playability and a strategic (if not onerous) challenge.  The earliest changes suggest that those in charge felt almost immediately that the balance was tipped too much in favour of everday playability.  (I wonder if Roberts felt very early on that Augusta's success was not -- and would never be -- based on its membership).  And I'd guess that Mr Jones might've allowed himself to be influenced by the views of his professional counterparts, i.e. the great players of the 30s...especially if he felt that changes they were suggesting could be incorporated without impacting on the everyday enjoyment of the members.   

Peter
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:55:19 PM by PPallotta »

Dave McCollum

I’m not sure that everyday playability wasn’t very important to Jones and MacKenzie.  Had your grandfather been paying attention to the tens of thousands of invitations sent out in 1932, he could have joined for $350 plus the $60 annual fee.  The founders hoped they would get 1,800 members.  Two years later, when the first Masters was held, only 76 members had bucked up.   OK, that was a lot of money back in that depression, but still an indication of how badly they wanted members.  Also, it may be the explanation for the good Doctor’s unpaid bill.   

Tom_Doak

Excellent piece.  Of the 22 original bunkers, several did not come into play.  The fairway bunker on today's 18 is one example.  Same with the fairway bunker on today's 14.  Wonder why they built them?

Those bunkers weren't in play for Bobby Jones, but I suspect they were still in play for the members the club was trying to attract -- remember, in those days, there wasn't 1000 yards between the members' tees and the back markers.  They were probably supposed to be the kind of bunker that MacKenzie spoke of generating "pleasurable excitement" to hit over.  But I am sure that Jones' friends at the first Masters told him they were a waste of time, and of course MacKenzie was already deceased by then, so he couldn't say much to defend them.

Jeff_Lewis

If one can't be unrealistically idealistic here...then where? Thanks Ran and Dan.

Kevin Drum

I used to get a haircut ever year with my dad at the Barber Shop at Augusta National the Monday of the Masters My dad would get all the changes to the course the past year from the Barber during his haircut each year. Some changes that were not even reported. Its a yearly ritual I miss dearly this time of year.

Philip Hensley

Bumped for the upcoming Augusta National Invitation Tournament

Ran Morrissett

Phil,

Great idea to bring this one forward and it remains one of my handful of favorite articles on the entire site. Interestingly enough, I find re-reading it to be even more powerful than when we first posted it in 2009 because of all the continual work.

Best,

Jeff Schley

I used to get a haircut ever year with my dad at the Barber Shop at Augusta National the Monday of the Masters My dad would get all the changes to the course the past year from the Barber during his haircut each year. Some changes that were not even reported. Its a yearly ritual I miss dearly this time of year.

Wow.... love to hear more about this and the trips although it appears Kevin is not active here anymore.  Haircut every year at ANGC before the Masters, way cool!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mike Hendren

Ah yes, the inevitable annual Ruination of Augusta National Golf Club's Course thread.  Let me be up front - I think in its current iteration there is no greater course on the planet though perhaps several equals.   First, a list of things I don't "get."

1.  Mackenzie sited the first green - the current 10th in an area that wouldn't drain. 
2.  5 of the first 7 holes prominently featured water hazards.
3.  The two short holes on the opening nine played similar distances, featured angled greens and were fronted closely by a creek.
4.  The in-fairway bunkers at today's 1st and 18th were only in play with a foozled tee ball.
5.  The width of today's 15th fairway is absurd as there is no real advantage to approaching from either side with the 2nd.
6.  Don't get the in-fairway bunkers to be carried by the tee ball at today's 2nd and 8th fairways - not much room to negotiate on either side. 
7.  Without the wing-nut green at today's 2nd there is no strategic interest in the second shot layup.
8.  Not a fan of the "tongues" at today's 4th, 7th, 9th (double tongues = tooth green) and 13th.  Were they intended to be pinnable or extremely narrow run-up options?  (Was the Good Doctor pre-channeling Robert Von Hagge?)
9.  The low-lying 12th green and creek bunker were prone to flooding.

Next up:  Things I liked.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:37:07 AM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jim Nugent

Bogey, several water hazards on those early holes were not as hazardous as they are now.  11 e.g. was not a pond, but a creek, that did not flush up against the green.  Same at 15, where players could run the ball up on the green: Sarazen did that for his famous double eagle (by then this was already the back nine).  Similarly the creek (not pond) on 16 did not come into play anywhere close to what players face today. 

Your point about the fairway bunkers on 1 and 18 applied to a few other holes, 2 and 14 IIRC.  The two greenside bunkers on 16 also were pretty far out of the line of play.  It's always amazed me that on a course famous for such few bunkers -- 22 when it opened -- a quarter of them or so played little-to-no strategic role, and were mostly there for duffers and/or aesthetics. 

On your second to last point (#8), did you mean the tongues on the original versions of those holes? 

Mike Hendren

Jim, sorry for the confusion - I meant current with respect to the reversal of the nines. I don’t get or like those tongues and didn’t even mention front left at 13 that Wexler suggests was pinnable.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ben Sims

I liked your post Michael.

I’ll take your theme a big step further...Augusta is not a better or worse course than it was in 1934. The course has ALWAYS been inextricably linked with tournament golf and in that form, not many courses are better.

Matthew Petersen

Ran

Interesting comments and I look forward to reading Dan's piece. Your comments do though make me wonder, how good was the original course, and how would we view it today if the Masters tournament hadn't taken off the way it has ? I'm sure we can all buy in to some extent to the ideals behind it, but how good was the execution of those ideals and would they stand upt today ?

Niall

Niall,

To me, what's most brilliant about ANGC is for the most part the stuff that hasn't been taken out or altered over the years--the land, the routing, and how those work together to continually keep the golfer on his toes. Greens have been moved and reshaped and recontoured, bunkers have been added and moved all over the place, but the major contours of the sites basically are what they always have been. 13 works because it asks you (if you want to hit it in two) to hit a left to right shot with the ball well above your feet. That's hard to do. 14, apart from the green, has a sort of reverse camber aspect to the fairway, and then on the second shot while you'd like to hit a draw in, you now have the ball below your feet. This goes on all day. On 2 (again, if you're trying to get home in two shots), you will likely have the ball above your feet, but the preferred shot into the green is left to right (this was certainly true for the original green, based on drawings, though that's changed with the addition of a left bunker--but it's certainly still true with that Sunday pin). 10 is a green you don't want to hit a draw into, and yte you're hitting off a downhill sidehill lie, so the green is super hard to hold. 15 is a very shallow green with trouble shot and long and you're hitting from a downhill lie, again very challenging.

These were the things that jumped out to me, at least about the golf course and what it must be like to play it, from when I walked around the course.

Everyone says TV flattens the property and I think most people mean that the hill on 18 doesn't look as steep as it is in real life. Which is totally true. But what I took away from a day there is that you may only get four chances to approach a green from a flat lie. The fairways are SO steep and not just humpy bumby, though there's that in places, but in some places just flat out canted, and always in the way you really wouldn't want them to be. I'm sure it's no mistake.

So, I've no idea how we'd view the course if they never had a tournament there. Maybe it would be Pine Valley of the South. Maybe it would be Garden City of the South. Maybe it wouldn't still be there. But I believe the very basic execution of the course would look better and better with age, and that's nothing to do with the jagged bunkers behind the 13th green or the old 16th hole (much as I'd love to still see those), it's just because of the holes that were built and routed on that land were brilliant.

Put it another way: There's a reason Dr. Mac didn't need to build many bunkers there, and I think we'd be able to appreciate it now.

V. Kmetz

I think after Mackenzie got paid (with 80+ years of interest)...and then went out to the course today...he'd think, oh god this is impossible, how good the golfers must be...or how much the club must hate them...

Then he'd watch the Masters and be very pleased, with maybe the exception of #7, which he wouldn't understand why it's that way at all.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Thomas Dai

I'd imagine he'd say, all the while sipping at a whisky, that his belief that golf should only be played with 6 clubs has finally been achieved ......... putter, LW, SW, W, 9-iron, driver!
:)
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back