News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Architectually, the "MET GOLFER" really
« on: February 20, 2011, 04:42:26 PM »
gets it.

They seem to be devoting more and more articles to GCA.

This months edition has a nice article on Tom Doak's work at North Shore, along with a hole analysis of the "nickel & dime" hole at Ridgewood, an article about renovations at eight area clubs, an interview with Rees Jones and Tom Doak, an article called "Links to links" about "Golfclubatlas.com" and other sites such as Tommy Naccarato's "Max's Lounge", and an article about Maplewood Golf Club.

It seems that more and more articles about GCA are finding their way into "The MET GOLFER" which has been and continues to be a terrific publication for golfers and architectural buffs.

I wish there were some way for the MET GOLFER to be distributed as a publication Nationally.

It's a terrific product from a terrific regional golf association.

David_Tepper

Re: Architectually, the "MET GOLFER" really
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »
It looks like much of the magazine's content is available online:

http://www.metgolfer.org/page/787-42141.htm

There is a prior thread working on this topic:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47388.0.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 04:57:10 PM by David_Tepper »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:15:26 PM »
Patrick -
we talk a lot around here about the average golfer and about how he suppossedly doesn't get architecture, and about how such a very small  percentage of the golfing public is interested in design.

I think we're wrong about that, all of it.

I think for years it has been a self-fulfilling prophecy -- it's been people who like to think of themselves as elites talking way too much 'inside baseball' more as a theoretical exercise than a genuine desire to share knowledge -- straightforwardly and generously -- with others....and thus, not surprisingly, few others have been interested.   

I think simple, quality writing -- as Tom Dunne has done -- is its own reward, and on top of it is the way to prove that the average golfer will indeed read about and be interested in design.  

I think good, clear, informative writing -- i.e. genuine communication in other words  -- can make just about any subject interesting to a lay-person with even a small bit of curiosity about the world around him...and so it can certainly make the subject of golf course architecture interesting to golfers.

Of course, bad writing about gca sets back that goal dramatically.  I mean that -- I think the lay person who tries to read about design but who is bored or confused by the writing itself doesn't immediately assume the writing is bad, he assumes the subject is dull.

Peter  
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:26:19 PM by PPallotta »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
I think it is great that the magazine seems to include a few gca items each month. The previous issue had an article called The Bucket List, and one of the things the writer suggested was play all the Redan holes, a very cool idea! (I nbet you Pat Mucci is the only one to play them all. The writer listed Hackensackas a Raynor (so I had to write a letter in this month's magazine) but I was just happy to see it on his list.

Here's his list, how many have you played:

NGLA
Blind Brook
North Shore
Piping Rock
Shinnecock (I disagree that it is a Redan)
Sleepy Hollow
Bellport
Brookville
Cold Spring
CC of Fairfield
Essex County
Fishers Island
Gardiner's bay
Hackensack
Knollwood
Morris County
Southampton
Westhampton

Chris Buie

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 12:23:15 PM »

Here's what they said.  Are they correct?  Probably to an extent.  Things can get wayward from time to time.  I'm not sure what Ran can do that he is not doing.  He has asked for civility and for people to present their ideas and disagreements considerately - and for the topics to be worthwhile.  I don't think he wants to micro-mange the inmates.  He shouldn't have to. 
Anyway, it's always useful to have a critique from a credible source - which the MET is.
What do you think?

Mike Cirba

Re: Architectually, the "MET GOLFER" really New
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »
I think The Met gets it about architecture, and sadly, about too much of GCA.

Way too many excellent contributors have been either chased away by the insulting tenor routinely employed by some or simply no longer want to waste their time arguing minutiae for the sake of arguing minutiae.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:16:09 PM by MCirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back