News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

No peeking, just drop in a number as your best guess...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

George Pazin

I'll guess Edinburgh is 8 degrees farther north.

Though I do recall reading once that Pittsburgh and Rome were the same, so I guess my guess would be far off, if that's true.

Off to Google...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JLahrman

I'll say 17 degrees.  I know it's quite a bit when you look at a map, but not sure what that translates to in degrees.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:39:25 PM by JLahrman »

Tom_Doak

14 or 15, I think.

When I was in Bordeaux, France a couple of weeks back, I noticed a sign for the 45th parallel ... which is also just north of Traverse City.  And Bordeaux is pretty far south in France!

Carl Nichols

I've lived in both places and currently live in DC.  I think it's pretty considerable -- maybe 18?

Dick Kirkpatrick

I would guess zero degrees.

Is Windsor, Ontario north or south of Boston, Mass?

No peeking

Kyle Harris

Heck no. Closer to 25 degrees I'd say. Edinburgh is further north than most of Canada.

Carl Johnson

Tony_Muldoon

Kevin Bacon?
Let's make GCA grate again!

JLahrman

Heck no. Closer to 25 degrees I'd say. Edinburgh is further north than most of Canada.

I don't know...I grew up in Cincinnati which is probably about like DC, and I think it's about 37 or 38 degrees.  Adding 25 gets you up to 63 and I think the Arctic Circle starts at 66.  I don't think Edinburgh is THAT far north.

Of course, I may be incorrect with respect to every number in this post.  Actually, the only information in this post that I am sure of is that I grew up in Cincinnati and that 38 + 25 = 63.

mike_beene

doesn't New York equal Rome.I say a lot.

Sean_A

I know Detroit is ~40N and London is about ~50N.  So I guess at the most about 20 degrees difference between Edinburgh and WDC.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:08:26 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill_McBride

17 degrees 2 minutes.  Just a wild guess...

Matthew Hunt

Edinburgh would be about 56 and and DC is a tad south of the Mason Dixon line so i'd guess 38 degrees, therefore 18 degrees difference.

Bob_Huntley

I think that Inverness is north of Montreal by a god bit.

Bob

Tom Yost

I know I was kind of shocked at how far north Scotland is when I first compared its latitude with the northernmost point of the usa.

Steve Lang

having grown up in ohio and with favorite aunt and uncle in philly i learned that both columbus & philly were both on 40 degrees N

the 30th Parallel Gang rides out of south eastern Tx and Louisiana, with new ORleans being just on the nose..

edinburgh is up there

p.s. now that someone has looked at atlas

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:30:05 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

David_Tepper

Looking at a rudimentary atlas, Edinburgh is about 56* and Washington DC is about 39*, so the difference is 17* or so.

Inverness and Dornoch are around 58*, roughly the same as Juneau, Alaska. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:21:21 PM by David_Tepper »

Brent Hutto

Three-quarters of a degree.

[EDIT] Oh shoot. I messed up the Fahrenheit to Celcius conversion.

Marty Bonnar

Good work, Men! On the 55th parallel, we're at the same latitude as southern Alaska, Novosibirsk and Labrador.
Quite surprising, isn't it. God bless the Gulf Stream and the Isthmus of Panama!!! (at least, I think it's an Isthmus :0) )

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ken Moum

Without looking.... 20*

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Ken Moum

I would guess zero degrees.

Is Windsor, Ontario north or south of Boston, Mass?

No peeking

Hell, Windsor is south of Detroit...

How about this. is Windsor north or south of Sioux City, iowa?

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

mike_beene

the airplane routes always amaze me.Chicago to Bejing and New Dehli often flies as close as they can to the north pole(the navigational limit is 60 miles from the poles because old technology reverses the compass if you hit the pole.)Dallas to London flies up the St Lawrence over Montreal.

Duncan Cheslett

On a slightly more parochial note, which British city is furthest east; Edinburgh, Liverpool, or Bristol?

No peeking!

Duncan Cheslett

the airplane routes always amaze me.Chicago to Bejing and New Dehli often flies as close as they can to the north pole(the navigational limit is 60 miles from the poles because old technology reverses the compass if you hit the pole.)Dallas to London flies up the St Lawrence over Montreal.

Not too much of a mystery when you look at it like this;

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back