News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

Re: The Best of Canada – All Ian Andrew’s Other Lists
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »
Did you mean the second on the Toot?

It’s the 2nd from the Wastelands Course.
The long fours were to imply anything beyond 350 yards.

Secondly, you have OV Heathlands on your modern list.  Certainly one of my favourite courses.  I'm wondering how having it on your list reconciles with your other list of ten things you dislike in golf course architecture.  Heathlands starts with a par 5, has at least one artificial pond, uses containment mounding, and has drains in many of the green-side swales.  None of these are deal breakers for me.  I guess the other merits of the course outweigh your dislikes.

I’ve taken some grief over my list, mainly via email. The Dislikes are not absolute lines drawn in the sand. This was a list that represents what I will try and accomplish or avoid on my own work (now that the decisions are mine to make).

It doesn’t mean I haven’t used those elements in the past, because I know I have. It doesn’t mean that I would dismiss any work with these elements. But it does mean any course with multiple aspects from the list will need to have many of the other features I really enjoy to overcome those elements.

How the course plays has a huge impact on my feelings towards a course. The ground game at Heathlands is excellent because the hollows and greens are really well done. I think the place is interesting despite being a bit too manufactured. It was almost completely flat and 140 acres, so may be I’m bias because I knew what it looked like at the outset.

Jeremy Rivando

Re: The Best of Canada – All Ian Andrew’s Other Lists
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »
It's great to see Lookout and Cherry Hill getting more recognition.  I know the members at Lookout love that it's still a hidden gem.  Those two golf courses and St George's were always the highlight of my junior golf summers.

Lookout Point

Best 5 - #3
Best 4 - #18
Best 3 - #5

Cherry Hill

Best 5 - #18
Best 4 - #14
Best 3 - #9

St George's

Best 5 - #15
Best 4 - #14
Best 3 - #3 (with a new green please)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back