News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken F

Donald Steel
« on: January 04, 2002, 11:27:39 AM »
I don't see much mention of Donald Steel in these pages -- why not?  What do people think of his work?  I did see that the review of Skibo was favorable.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tim_Weiman

Re: Donald Steel
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2002, 11:43:47 AM »
Ken F:

I have never seen any of Donald Steel's work.  He put together a very nice book, but his courses tend to be very private and I'm guessing not many people have been exposed to his work.
Tim Weiman

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2002, 11:56:43 AM »
I've heard the Steel course in S. Carolina is excellent and the one in Connecticut is (will be?) too--but the only one I've seen is Red Tail in Ontario. A very good course and a very interesting club and done very inexpensively too (the course)! Red Tail is about 10 years old but I think Steel to date has only three courses in North America.

Ed_Baker

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2002, 12:12:07 PM »
Steel did another on Martha's Vineyard that was grown in last summer. Should be open this spring, I'm supposed to play it with one of the founders,I'll let everyone know my impressions.

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2002, 12:14:20 PM »
This is by no means to disrespect Donald Steel; in fact, I have great respect for him. I admire his writing and his golf architecture.

But what I find most interesting about Redtail is that the best holes, in my opinion, resulted from modifications made by the owner, Chris Goodwin -- another interesting guy!  

Steel's original layout included an awkwardly placed par 3 on the back nine that was replaced by the present 14th: a heroic par 3 played over a spectacular gorge on a site Goodwin discovered after the course had opened for play, about 1991.

Goodwin also modifed the 3rd by adding a new back tee; what was originally a drive-and-pitch affair is today a monster par 4 requiring a forced carry over a creek to the most boldly contoured green on the course. It's a very difficult hole.

The wonderful short par 5 18th, which plays past the clubhouse (a la NGLA) is also Goodwin's handy work. If I recall correctly, he relocated the tee, and cleared a ton of trees and underbrush from a gorge that cuts into the fairway from the left side. The hole was markedly improved as a result.

It's an architect's worst nightmare! To think about an owner tinkering with a course after the act. But in this case, the owner improved upon it, IMHO. Although I understand  Goodwin did consult his friend Steel before his proposed changes were actually carried out.  

Redtail was set up almost perfectly by Goodwin and his partner, John Drake. The understated layout, the classic looking clubhouse, the isolation... it's undoubtedly one of those special places in golf.

SPDB

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2002, 12:21:09 PM »
As Matt Ward and I can attest , his work at Carnegie Abbey (the sister club to Skibo), is very good. Indeed, I believe Matt considered it one of the top 3 to open last year.

I believe one of the reasons that he gets discussed so seldomly here is that he has only designed 2 courses in the US (plus 1 in Canada, I believe). The 2 US courses (Carnegie Abbey, and Cherokee Plantation) are both part of the Peter de Savary stable of clubs (incl. Skibo), and are very expensive, hence very exclusive.

If I remember correctly, Steel is currently designing a course on Martha's Vineyard. With a high profile location, this will certainly generate considerable discussion for Steel.

Greg Ramsay

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2002, 01:53:21 PM »
I was very impressed with Donald Steel's new 18 holes at Kilspindie, near Gullane in Scotland.  On what is a very uninteresting, flattish piece of land he has moved enough dirt to create interest, without moving too much to make it look out of place.  Great use of sod bunkers.  My only criticism of that course is that the par 3's were all of similar length.

Was not such a fan of his new holes at Turnberry on the new course there, but playing so close to one of the world's most famous (but a little overrated) golf links, it was always going to be hard to compete.  Skibo is nice, but would overlook it for another round at Moray or Fraserburgh GC's.

Tim, you're not wrong about Donald Steel's book on the links courses of Great Britain & Ireland- it really awakened me to the thrills to be made along the Welsh coastline.  And being available in softcover now for US$20, its a great buy.

Greg Ramsay
www.barnbougledunes.com

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2002, 01:55:39 PM »
Greg,

I always thought Steel's book had a lot of class.
Tim Weiman

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2002, 02:05:51 PM »
Donald Steel did a wonderful job at Carnegie Abbey as SPDB outlined.

I had not played any of his designs prior to that and I really enjoyed the manner in which Steel designed his green sites and what has been already mentioned the bunkering. The sod faces are well done and inspire fear (as real bunkers should).

It also helps to have such a grand site as the land that Carnegie Abbey sits upon. The course works its way through flatlands at the start and eventually uses the rolling terrain for the middle of the layout before returning to the water's edge of Narragansett Bay. The constant shifting nature of the wind always keeps you on your toes.

Unfortunately, the course is extremely private and outside play is rather limited. I would recommend it to anyone venturing to play in Rhode Island and the immediate layouts of distinction in New England.

Only The Kingsley Club was in my mind a better overall design. Donald Steel definitely has a vision on what holes should look and play like. I look forward to seeing his new work on Martha's Vineyard when it's ready for play. ;)

P.S. The par-3's at Carnegie Abbey are all rather interesting holes -- especially the par-3 17th which plays into a prevailing wind and can max out to about 225 yards. Great change of pace holes as you finish the course with a potential drivable par-4. Anyone witnessing the Shell's match between Curtis Strange and Sam Torrance that aired this past summer can certainly remember many of the holes particularly the finale.

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2002, 02:12:55 PM »
I REALLY like his book!! ;D
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2002, 02:15:12 PM »
Another thing about Donald Steel that I find admirable is that, unlike some other modern architects, he is not obsessed with length. Carnegie Abbey maxes out at under 6700, with par at 71. HOwever, he is clever enough to know that the elements (and they are always present at CAC) will provide enough a challenge, and if that's not enough the deep revetted sod face bunkering will certainly take a bite out of your scoring.

I think Strange won the Shell match with a +1 or 2.

Check out some of the pics on the site:

www.carnegieabbeyclub.com.

Paul Daley

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2002, 03:06:24 PM »
Donald Steel is one of the most knowledgable people in golf: ex-international UK amateur, a prolific golf author/editor, and more recently, a low-key but classy arhcitect. His work embodies that most heavily abused term - 'minimalist' style, and as SPBD pointed out, he is not obsessed by length.

Steel is tremendously well-respected in the UK, and as such, he is regularly assigned links upgrade jobs in Scotland and Ireland, plus 'nip and tuck's'.

Modesty is his by-word!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2002, 03:50:38 PM »
SPDB, thanks for the link.  It appears that it is a very modest and minimalist approach to the routing and design.  I wonder what the walkability factor is, as there seems to be a number of long walks through woods and around other greens and tees to get to your next tee.  Also, a few walk-backs seemingly into the area of play of the hole just completed.  Of course one can't tell much by the pics and routing plan on the webpage.  Also, I imagine these things are not so great of a concern in such an exclusive and under played private club.  I have a personal distaste for any rock walls and fences within the normal playing surrounds of greens that appear to be the case at CA.  But then again - it is New England  - and good fences make good neibaghs.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2002, 04:22:46 PM »
Do you guys really like the 18th hole at Carnegie Abbey??  If you can't drive the green (285 yards of which 260 is carry), where do you hit your tee shot?  Into those trees scattered around the left side of the fairway?  There is hardly a layup area!  I think that hole is interesting but needs some work.  I have heard Donald will be spending some more time on that one.  Also, wait till the clubhouse goes in.  I hope the windows are shatter proof  :)

Overall though, I really liked the golf course and some of the features Steel incorporated.  There is some really good stuff going on.  There are, however, some really questionable things as well.  Many of the greens are over the top (not unfair, just poorly designed) and I've heard Steel is coming back to modify some of them.  On the whole, they could be the wildest and severest greens on a new course that I have ever played.  Gotta give him credit for trying to be different.  

Gotta run, maybe I'll post more later.
Mark

By the way, Donald's book on the Links Courses of E, S, W & I is one of my favorites.

Paul Turner

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2002, 02:02:10 AM »
Donald Steel is VERY proud of his new course at Brocket Hall (Palmerston Course), England (not to be confused with the first course there, which isn't good).  I've heard really good reports describing rolling terrain and exceptional greens.

His modifications of The Eden course have not gone down too well though.  Anyone play the course before the changes?  What did we lose of Colt's work?

Craig Disher

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2002, 09:43:50 AM »
Steel was a consultant on a project to lengthen 4 holes at Littlestone in the UK. The R&A leaned on the club to add some challenge to ensure that it would continue as a qualifying venue when the Open is at RSG. The only change was the addition of 4 tee boxes - all of which offer new, interesting lines to the holes. If anyone is familiar with the course, the new tee at #4 is brilliant - a blind shot over low dunes and scrub with the Victorian water tower as an aiming point. The left and right fairway bunkers are now diagonal bunkers sitting at 220 and 255 yards. The influence of the wind makes the tee shot one of the best on the course.

SPDB1

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2002, 11:02:11 AM »
RJ - The course is fairly walkable (indeed walking is required, other than the normal exceptions). One stretch requires club assistance (cart transport) but overall that didn't really bother me. The course had to accomodate certain areas of historical significance, since the land on which the course sits was the site of the revolutionary war battle of Bloody Run. As legend has its, the fighting was so fierce and the toll so high, that the creek that runs through the property ran red with blood. There are also several ad hoc graveyards where Hessian soldiers are buried. All of this history also makes for a very educational as well as enjoyable round of golf. I went to the boarding school that owns the property the course/club sits on.

Mark - I agree with your assessment of the 18th hole. Although, if I remember correctly there is ample room to lay up. The day we played there was an abnormal tail wind, and I was able to cut a 2 iron to just short of the putting surface. To drive the green, I don't think there is as much carry as you indicate. If you can hit something that runs, I think there is really only the need for about 200-220. My opponent hit his 3 wood 50 yds over the green to where the clubhouse will sit. I was told, however, that the wind rarely moves in that direction.

Matt Ward really likes the hole, but I agree with you that it needs some work. The setting is tremendous, and the walk across the beach from the tee to the fairway is awesome. I believe there is a little room behind where  you could move the tee  back some. With some work, it would look and play really similar to (albeit a mirror image) the Cape at
Mid-Ocean.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2002, 01:35:29 PM »
Gentlemen:

Keep in mind as SPDB points out that Carnegie Abbey is not long by modern standards. As a result the putting surfaces do in fact need to challenge pinpoint iron play as many of them do. I also think Carnegie Abbey is a course that requires a good deal of local knowledge to know where you can be aggressive and where you must heed caution.

I also think the combination of par-3's is very well done. Each requires a deft touch and at least two of them have some real length to them -- I personally like courses that add at least one good size par-3 on the menu by making the boys stretch a little with a long iron or even wood approach. When the pins are pushed back left on holes #5 and #17 you better deliver big time. Pull a bit left and it's see ya time!

The 18th is definitely not your standard closing hole and for that alone I give Donald Sreel high marks. Too many courses close with the pro forma 460 yards par-4 that really offers only length, but often little charcter. 18 at Carnegie Abbey may need to be tweaked but the emphasis is on tweaking not wholesale modifications.

I played the hole with win in my face (local caddy said it was 2-3 club wind) and I nailed a tee shot that hit just short and rolled to the back. My first putt was lucky to get within 10 feet of the hole because of the unique contours present.

You do have room to bail out and if the club narrowed the entrance to the green too much the opportunity to pull the trigger with the tee shot would be lessened. Let's also face some facts -- the beach hugs the right side and ANY shot that drifts a bit right ends up in Davey Jones locker! :)

SPDB is quite right -- the normal prevailing wind is usually in your face and the opportunity for a range of scores is what makes this hole so unique and confounding for those who don't execute. Take the finishing stretch of holes at Carnegie Abbey from #14 through to the end and you have a wail of excitement and differing challenge.

Also the property is really fascinating given its history and the manner in which the golf course weaves from the 1st tee all the way to the conclusion on the edge of Narragansett Bay.  ;)

jim_lewis

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2002, 01:41:22 PM »
It has been almost two years since I played Cherokee Plantation and I liked it a lot. I must say though that I know  two guys (regular posters on GCA), whose judgement is sometimes sound, were not impressed.  It is a little unusual to find some legitimate Scottish features in the SC Lowcountry. I especially lliked the restrained, but effective use of bunkers. There are only 35 bunkers and every single one seems to have a recognizable strategic purpose. All are stacked sod-faced and built below the playing surface. I must be one of the few who really like the green complexes. The greens are(were) small with dramatic contours and edges that roll off into really cool chipping areas. They are(were) smaller but similar to Pinehurst #2 in their demanding well placed iron shots. Unfortunately, many considered the greens to be too severe. They certainly were more than David Duval and Ernie Els could handle in their Shell's WWOG match. Anyone who considers greens in regulation to be an important stat probably would not like those greens.I understand that they closed the course several months ago to rebuild the greens. I can only guess that they are making them more receptive.  I will try to get down there later this month and take a look.  Frankly, I would love to see Donald Steele build a course in Pinehurst where the sandy terrain should be perfect for him.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Brian Phillips

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2002, 02:57:30 PM »
i just thought I would put in my bit of info:

Steel is very well respected in Britain, doing re-designs at Royal Aberdeen, Hoylake etc.

He also has designed the second course at Woodhall Spa called The Bracken course.  So if any of you architecture buffs make it to Woodhall Spa buy a day ticket and play both the courses.

I didn't and I regret it now..

Apparently it is a good course..but a bit American style.  Which is one of the things he has been critisised for in the past by us Brits.

I have never played any of his courses though so I wouldn't know..
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Ran Morrissett

some good/some bad
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2002, 03:16:55 PM »
I wonder how much of the work Steel does himself vs. his design associate Tom MacKenzie? For instance, MacKenzie was definitely the man who stayed on site and developed Skibo and Redtail and deserves much of the credit in each case.

Steel & Associate's trademark, as Jim points out, are medium size greens with what amount to severe contours for any green speed over 10. Their courses rarely reach even 6,800 yards but the greens keep you honest.

However, the fact that Cherokee Plantation was shut down within two years of opening and that the greens are having to be re-done can only be viewed as a black-eye for Steel & Associates.

I hope they will show a greater variety in the future - the pot bunker theme coupled with severe greens needn't be repeated ad nauseam, at least I hope not. Specifically, I hope their courses will enjoy greter width/playing angles in the future.

s. mann

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2002, 07:20:56 AM »
as ed baker mentioned i am interested to see vineyard golf club on M.V. in the spring as well.  here is the website www.vineyardgolf.com.  if any of you are interested to see some preview pictures just go to the website.

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2002, 07:50:35 AM »
I liked Steele's book alot and felt he did a wonderful job of introducing the courses to you. However, it did not give one the feeling of playing the holes like Finnigans book does. The work he did at Turnberry is awful. It is a crime to do so little with so much.

Rich_Goodale

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2002, 08:43:27 AM »
John

That's very disapointing news about Turnberry.  I always thought that the old Arran course was significantly underrated and was in fact one of the true "hidden gems" of Scotland.

Steel's book is a must, and he did very good work at Skibo, with a limited budget.  He also did some very medicrre work at the Struie course at Dornoch in the 80's when they expanded it from 9 to 18 holes.  My gut feeling is that his heart really isn't in the business--or art :)--of GCA

dick_cesana

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2002, 05:04:33 PM »
C A wil never make any top 200 list. To build a course in the year 2000 that measures 6400 yds. is a joke, to build a course that saves the best land for condo,s and the yacht club is a joke, to build a course that to walk from one tee to the next is a hike for the young : the land they had to work with "although not Bandon Dunes " was used to sell condo' and house lots

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back