News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Caron

Re: Unique services at Private Clubs
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »
Rather than talk about the service that is done at clubs where money isn't really an object, I'll share this.

I'm a member at a club that is nice, has a fun classic course, a decent clubhouse and few members that are super wealthy.

A year ago, in an attempt to both attract and retain golf members, a decision was made to make carts free for everyone for the entire year.

I am a walker, but I will admit that it is nice to grab a cart for a few holes at night sometimes. And it is also nice to bring guests and not have to pay a cart fee for those who want to ride.

Jeff,

I did get a little out of hand with my original post asking for what clubs with deep pockets are doing.  So I did ask more for the clubs with 400+ playing members and initiation fees of less then $75 K.

Interesting idea with the free carts.  I would imagine your club has a few open minded Board members, Head Professional or Director of Golf.  

I love hearing you guys talking about having a more visible Golf Professional.  I'm still young but love learning about the past and it seems like the Golf Professional was more visible and out and about during his day at the club.  With upgrades in technology and more business focused Professionals entering the industry, it seems like this mindset has been lost.    

I think it's a great idea and the upsides far outweigh the negatives.Anything a club can do to make members come out to play more frequently can only help.

If you fill your tee sheet more (especially later in the evenings during the summer) the club can only benefit.  Chances are they'll grab some food or drink after the round.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:22:00 PM by Jordan Caron »

Tim Martin

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 01:19:36 PM »
Professionals that don't hide behind the counter or in their offices.  I like to see them wander out onto the range or putting green, perhaps offering a quick tip, grimmace or compliment, or maybe have them ask members if they can join them for lunch.  Also, nobody in the joint calls me Mr.

One thought:  I was at Forest Oaks in Greensboro a few years ago and they had an old fashioned swiveling barber chair right in the pro shop.  They had used it for haircuts during the GGO and kept it around.  My uncle ran a barbershop when I was a kid and I loved the atmosphere - the sound of the razor popping the strap, cranking out a Coke for a nickel, reading Field & Stream and playing checkers.  I say cut hair in the men's grill or better yet right in the pro shop (if health codes permit). 

Bogey
Bogey-The second paragraph sounds like an episode from the Andy Griffith show. None of those things happen at a barbershop any longer which really is a shame. Was there anything better than that ice cold glass bottle nickel coke?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
My club has the cold towels, too....can take before round or making the turn.

A 'unique' feature at my club (unique does not necessarily mean 'good') is that among the many, many clubs I've showered at, mine is the ONLY one with poor water pressure. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »
My club has the cold towels, too....can take before round or making the turn.

A 'unique' feature at my club (unique does not necessarily mean 'good') is that among the many, many clubs I've showered at, mine is the ONLY one with poor water pressure. 

Speaking of showers I remember a story my dad told me about Sleepy Hollow CC which goes to back to the late 60`s or early 70`s. He said that the shower regulator was the only one that he had ever seen which was marked not just hot and cold, but hot, cold, or "tepid". You can`t put a price on that.

Dave Falkner

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2011, 01:38:14 PM »
I just want the water to be cold and on about every 3rd tee

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »

Has to be in unopened bottles to protect us from lack of superintendent hygiene.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
Times are tough.
 My club just went to the small baby water bottles in the coolers.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »
Between this thread and the one about the towels, it amazes me that people on here can
 also talk about "affordable golf" and how the game should be accessible to more people.

Wouldn't you rather be paying much less for your golf and do away with all the superfluous crap like people shining your shoes and carrying your clubs from your car to the tee? All these services come at a cost and are being passed on to the consumer.

In NZ, for the price of just the joining fee Jordan refers to (the $75000 that he limits this topic to to eliminate the "clubs with deep pockets" ) you could pay an yearly subscription at some of our top courses for more than 50 years.

Golf is in danger of pricing itself completely out of the reach for all but the wealthy.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:22:59 PM by Grant Saunders »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »
I'm simple.  Give me a towel for my bag, treat my guests like members, and smile :)

Another thing I think is great - the cooler with apples.  I've seen this at Rolling Green and Schuylkill CC.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2011, 02:25:53 PM »
Good call Dan with the apples.  Its nice how they are always cool/cold.  Its just what you need on the 14th tee. 

That hole is out to get you, and your loved ones.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Travis Dewire

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2011, 02:39:47 PM »
I think in this day and age, lost are the;

- bar/lounge in the locker room

- cigar smoking allowed in the locker room and said bar/lounge

- indoor bowling lanes, perferably within range of said locker room

Worcester CC, has all three! No wonder President Taft duck hooked his drive for the club's innagural tee shot!

John Foley

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2011, 02:42:56 PM »
Where does one draw the line?

On the high end you've got the Discovery Land effect where they do everything so over the top it makes one sick just thinking about the waste. But then again many with seemingly unlimited wealth are fine with display.

On the other end you get the no / very limited service issue - let me change my shoes in the parking lot - where you run the risk of offending the guest of the member. In that case does that really matter?

One last note - you really expect the club to provide a towel for your clubs? You can"t get your own??
Integrity in the moment of choice

Shannon Wheeler

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2011, 03:29:47 PM »

Has to be in unopened bottles to protect us from lack of superintendent hygiene.

Shannon Wheeler

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2011, 03:35:29 PM »
just a dumb statement by Mr. Kavanaugh

Tim Martin

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »
The more services that come your way the more you have to grease everybody up and down the line. Its not the cost associated with valets, bag boys, locker room guys,etc. but the fact that you need more bills than a gas station attendant to take care of everyone. If you don`t have the right change its embarrassing and almost impossible to find someone to break larger bills. As Shivas stated in an earlier post an on site bookie would come in handy for this purpose in addition to taking action.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
Rather than talk about the service that is done at clubs where money isn't really an object, I'll share this.

I'm a member at a club that is nice, has a fun classic course, a decent clubhouse and few members that are super wealthy.

A year ago, in an attempt to both attract and retain golf members, a decision was made to make carts free for everyone for the entire year.

I am a walker, but I will admit that it is nice to grab a cart for a few holes at night sometimes. And it is also nice to bring guests and not have to pay a cart fee for those who want to ride.

Jeff, Southview?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2011, 03:47:29 PM »
Four Streams will detail the car by appt   It has a frig with drinks and snacks you pass by twice a nine. If you give the chef a day or two's notice, she will fix anything you want for dinner.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JMEvensky

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2011, 03:47:44 PM »
The more services that come your way the more you have to grease everybody up and down the line. Its not the cost associated with valets, bag boys, locker room guys,etc. but the fact that you need more bills than a gas station attendant to take care of everyone. If you don`t have the right change its embarrassing and almost impossible to find someone to break larger bills. As Shivas stated in an earlier post an on site bookie would come in handy for this purpose in addition to taking action.

No private club should ever allow tipping--caddies excepted.

All that happens is a hierarchy of high-tippers gets established by the staff.Bigger tips beget better service.Since every member is paying the same dues,there shouldn't be a situation where Member A gets better service than Member B.

jim_lewis

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2011, 03:47:58 PM »
Tim:

Many clubs, including mine, have a no-tipping policy. We pay out staff enough that they don't/can't live off tips. At the end of the year members contribute to a fund that is shared among all club staff, including those who the members and guests rarely meet such as grounds crew.

Grant:
Actually I enjoy the "expensive" services that my club provides. I would rather pay extra than do without them. I guess that's why some folks are not interested in joining the club. Thankfully, we are able to get by without them.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Tim McManus

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »
I think in this day and age, lost are the;

- bar/lounge in the locker room

- cigar smoking allowed in the locker room and said bar/lounge

- indoor bowling lanes, perferably within range of said locker room

Worcester CC, has all three! No wonder President Taft duck hooked his drive for the club's innagural tee shot!

We have two out of three at Hempstead Golf and Country Club on Long Island.  Need to go out on the porch to smoke a cigar though.  The bowling lanes get a lot of use during the winter.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:02:57 PM by Tim McManus »

Jud_T

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:17:13 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Lester George

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2011, 04:08:11 PM »
JM,

The head man at Kinloch is Phil Owenby and the guy who gave you a tour of the practice facility is Steve "slot" Slotterbach.  Both are the best I have ever seen.  There is no tipping at Kinloch except caddies and the lounge is part of thew locker room as you might remember.  You should come back to Kinloch as it has only gotten better since you were there.  As good as it is, they always find ways to surprise the members and the guests with the little things they do to keep making it better with age.  

I think alot of the philosophy has to be credited with the founders, especially Vinny Giles, who modeled "his" club after what he considered the best.  But Phil Owenby is the guy who really brings it all together.  He is truly one of thegreat gentlemen in this game.

Lester

JMEvensky

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2011, 04:16:17 PM »
JM,

The head man at Kinloch is Phil Owenby and the guy who gave you a tour of the practice facility is Steve "slot" Slotterbach.  Both are the best I have ever seen.  There is no tipping at Kinloch except caddies and the lounge is part of thew locker room as you might remember.  You should come back to Kinloch as it has only gotten better since you were there.  As good as it is, they always find ways to surprise the members and the guests with the little things they do to keep making it better with age.  

I think alot of the philosophy has to be credited with the founders, especially Vinny Giles, who modeled "his" club after what he considered the best.  But Phil Owenby is the guy who really brings it all together.  He is truly one of thegreat gentlemen in this game.

Lester

Phil Owenby is exactly right--I should have remembered.From a hazy memory,is Slotterbach kind of small/thin,older, and wears glasses?

Whether it's VG or someone else who deserves the credit,it's pretty obvious that the person/people making the decisions know golf and golf clubs.They got the details right.It's a wonderful place.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »
JM: You're thinking of someone besides Slot.

Phil Owenby is proof: It's really all about human capital.

WW

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2011, 04:55:14 PM »
The first time I played at The Olde Farm, my host enthusiastically pointed out free apples in the clubhouse and encouraged me to take one.  As we headed to the first tee later, he pointed out another basket of free apples and I enjoyed another.  On the course, we dipped into the famous rain shelter/practice building and - you guessed it - grabbed another few free apples.  After the round, a revisit to the clubhouse basket (at the request of my host) yielded two more free apples.

Those were the most expensive free apples I've ever eaten.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back