News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lester George

Re: Who is the leader in practice range design?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 01:47:29 PM »

I have built uneven lies on my practice facility tees at most of my new courses and some of my renovations.  Ballyhack being the one the one with the most flexibilty.

Lester

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »
The best practice range is the golf course itself, so Colt, Ross, Tillinghast, MacKenzie etc...

But seriously, a great range has to simlulate golf course scenarios as much as possible, haven't come across an exceptional one yet, but there are still plenty to see.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Ben Sims

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 03:21:07 PM »
C&C do seem to have a collection of very good ones.  Clear Creek and Friars Head come to mind.  PV's was incredible.  Briggs Ranch has a great rep.   Tom and E. Iverson did a really good/intimate one at Stone Eagle. 

I'd answer Fazio and C&C if pressed for two with a rep for great practice areas.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
C&C do seem to have a collection of very good ones.  Clear Creek and Friars Head come to mind.  PV's was incredible.  Briggs Ranch has a great rep.   Tom and E. Iverson did a really good/intimate one at Stone Eagle. 

Bill Coore loves the one at Clear Creek.  Problem is he didn't design it.  That facility was designed by one of the partners who happens to be a really good player, I believe a 4 time winner of the Arizona Amateur. 

I was told once that C&C have no interest in building practice areas.

Jason Topp

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 05:33:04 PM »

But seriously, a great range has to simlulate golf course scenarios as much as possible, haven't come across an exceptional one yet, but there are still plenty to see.

Our range has a bunch of target greens that are nice for replicating the experience of hitting approach shots or attempting to hit a fairway.  The problem, however, is that you cannot see the balll land at a disturbingly large variety of distances, including in particular the distances between about 120 and 170 (give or take 20 yards depending on that day's tee).  I would gladly take a flat open field with signs instead. 

The public course I play has a flat field.  Unfortunately at that course the range balls vary so greatly in quality that you have to save the good ones for the shots you care about.  Too many of them have lost their dimples and go nowhere.

mike_beene

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »
sam,I don't know what the C and C brain trust can come up with for the Lakewood practice ground.There is just no room.My understanding is all that is happening is an enlargement of the tee and maybe a fill over the ditch depending on the city.A guy like you will hit it over the fence no matter what they do.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
sam,I don't know what the C and C brain trust can come up with for the Lakewood practice ground.There is just no room.My understanding is all that is happening is an enlargement of the tee and maybe a fill over the ditch depending on the city.A guy like you will hit it over the fence no matter what they do.

Oh silly Mike, I can't hit over that fence. The only fence I've hit it over in Dallas is one 3 at DCC. Yes, the wedge par 3, back right pin I yank it into the road. I shoot 68 that day with a frickin double on a 115 yard hole. As for that range at Lakewood I think they need to narrow Gaston Avenue.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 12:49:10 AM »
I think Jay Blassi and the Jones organization for the work at the Stanford U private team practice area. 2nd to none on earth. Tom Jefferson and others for work done at Bandon Dunes is 2nd. The Pt Joe Range on the Pacific at MPCC gets my vote for best range to hang out all day at. Heck the LSU practice area at the University Club is better than most of the ones mentioned above. I am sure there are  other college facilities that blow away most any club practice facility.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 08:34:49 AM »
The best practice range is the golf course itself, so Colt, Ross, Tillinghast, MacKenzie etc...

But seriously, a great range has to simlulate golf course scenarios as much as possible,

WHY ?

What's the primary purpose of a range ?
[/b]

haven't come across an exceptional one yet, but there are still plenty to see.

Ben Sims,

C&C's range at Hidden Creek is very good also.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 08:37:29 AM »
Pine Valley and The ACE Club have great practice ranges.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 09:30:29 AM »
Mike
Considering the shortage of sapce the range at Royal Okas is indeed superb.
The shart game area in particular is brilliant, tremendous variety of lies/slopes and bunkering..wonderful.
The range itself like Jeff said is rather too undefined in terms of targets, but again considering the shortage of space excellent...similar view can be siad of the course itself, wonderful usage of limited space.
Of course having one of the best teachers in the world at one end does nothing to harm the place!!!!!!!

Ben Sims

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »

Ben Sims,

C&C's range at Hidden Creek is very good also.

Mr. Mucci,

I did like HC's quite a bit.  One more thing that Hidden Creek has going for it. 

C. Squier

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 02:00:51 PM »
C&C seem to have it down pat. 

From hitting balls into oblivion at Sand Hills to the epic practice facility at Friars Head, they match the practice facility to the culture of the club perfectly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back