News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: Walking and Carrying My Own Bag: A Song of Praise
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »
Jim,

The language you quoted is this:

5-1f   Unacceptable Scores
(v) When, as a condition of the competition, the maximum number of clubs allowed is less than 14, or types of clubs are limited as, for example, in a competition that allows only iron clubs.

Notice how the score is unacceptable if the number of clubs used is "as a condition of the competition."  I am not talking about using fewer clubs "as a condition of [a] competition," but rather, by a player's own choosing. 

What if, for example, carrying 10 clubs leaves the player less fatigued on the closing holes and thus he is able to shoot a better score?  Would that not adhere to the "shoot the lowest score possible" philosophy?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »
JC,
Yes, but I also said:

"Don't ask me what's an acceptable minimum number of clubs,  but if you played without your putter you wouldn't be adhering to the 'lowest possible score' ideal. Same thing if you play a 7,00 yard course without any 'woods'. "

Here's more info on the subject for you, from Sir Bob's neck-of-the-woods. Scroll through about 3/4 of the page until you see the relelvant question posed by one Stan Hackett:  

http://www.ncga.org/2007/06/18/ncga-position-on-acceptable-rounds-for-handicap-purposes/

edit: As the handicapping manual says: ”Two basic premises underlie the USGA Handicap System, namely that each player will try to make the best score at every hole in every round, regardless of where the round is played, and that the player will post every acceptable round for peer review. The player and the player's Handicap Committee have joint responsibility for adhering to these premises.”
Similar to what you said about the spirit of the game, posting scores with less than the full compliment of clubs that could help produce your best score is against the spirit of handicapping, which is why it’s also not permissible to hold two handicaps, like one playing right handed and one playing left handed.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:02:56 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »
I find this posting of scores and the legitimacy of such data absolutely mind boggling. I have played casual golf and competetive golf, the difference is enormous.  I do believe that in  90% of casual rounds Mulligans are taken, putts within the leather conceded and other small infractions incurred. Handicaps should be based on competive rounds only. If you have a cheat in the club, do as the Brits do, allow the the Club Secretary or his equivalent in the US to lop off some strokes.

If the player plays casual golf at all times and wants to play you for small stakes, caveat emptor.

Bob

JMEvensky

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »

If the player plays casual golf at all times and wants to play you for small stakes, caveat emptor.

Bob

Amen.Who wants to play for money based solely on a handicap?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back