News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Bill's List - 10 Favorite Accessible AND Fun Courses
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:29:19 PM »
This is a list of courses that anyone can play with advance reservations, that in my opinion are the most fun I've played.  Six are in the UK, where it's easier to access private courses, and five are in the US.

UK

North Berwick - the best of the best in this category!
Elie - close to St Andrews and blessed with a great variety of holes including half a dozen short par 4s - and no par 5's!
Crail Balcomie - seven par 3's, none easy, even closer to St Andrews
Painswick - the poster child for fun on the golf course
Pennard - serious golf but many fun holes, plus a ruined castle!
Ardglass - over to Northern Ireland, crazy clifftop holes and another castle, this one houses the clubhouse

US

Pasatiempo - Mackenzie masterpiece that anyone can play, and the wild greens are fun!
Pacific Dunes - a modern masterpiece meant to be enjoyed, with many ground game options
Aiken Golf Club - what public course golf can be, the surprise hit of the 2009 Dixie Cup
Southern Pines - Donald Ross gem open to the public at a good price, Pinehurst on a budget
Tobacco Road - you have laugh at some of the situations you find yourself in!

Whoops - Longshadow is an obvious oversight.  One fun hole after another.  The conditions aren't great, but the golf is.

My 10 becomes a dozen, a 20% bonus for Sean!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:21:49 PM by Bill_McBride »

Sean_A

Re: Bill's List - 10 Favorite Accessible AND Fun Courses
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:38:31 PM »
Ace

U Cal must have a different idea of the number 10 - much like Italian restaurants - tee hee. 

I am intrigued by the Ardglass inclusion.  Do you have pix or know where some are?

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »
Ace

U Cal must have a different idea of the number 10 - much like Italian restaurants - tee hee. 

I am intrigued by the Ardglass inclusion.  Do you have pix or know where some are?

Ciao 

Noodle around in this, some cool photos.  http://www.ardglassgolfclub.com/dsp_gallery.cfm

Do you always complain about getting a 10% bonus? 

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »
Do you always complain about getting a 10% bonus? 

Ace

Only if I think I coulda hadda 20% bonus.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »
This is a list of courses that anyone can play with advance reservations, that in my opinion are the most fun I've played.  Six are in the UK, where it's easier to access private courses, and five are in the US.

UK

North Berwick - the best of the best in this category!
Elie - close to St Andrews and blessed with a great variety of holes including half a dozen short par 4s - and no par 5's!
Crail Balcomie - seven par 3's, none easy, even closer to St Andrews
Painswick - the poster child for fun on the golf course
Pennard - serious golf but many fun holes, plus a ruined castle!
Ardglass - over to Northern Ireland, crazy clifftop holes and another castle, this one houses the clubhouse

Bill,

I have played all of the above apart from Crail Balcombe. I absolutely loved North Berwick and Elie both such wonderful courses for all to play for 18 holes. Painswick, Pennard and Ardglass is a HIT or MISS for me all these courses have a mix of good and bad holes. I believe both Pennard and Ardglass have the potential to be a lot better.

If you are a fan of eccentric short courses then Cavendish is a must for you! Its the best course under 6000 yards that I have played and could not stop talking about it afterwards. Another is Brancaster a wonderful quirky links course.

Cheers
Ben

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:35:29 PM »
Bill:

Have you played Old Mac yet?  Curious to hear your thoughts on OM v. PD if you had to choose just one.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:57:32 PM »
Bill,

I love your list. Have not played Painswick or Ardglass, but from what I've heard from you guys they fit the bill (pun intended).

One course I would HAVE to add to your list would be Kingsley Club. Roaring fun with a new thrill on every hole!!!

Another would be one of my most favorites, Caledonia. I've never NOT had fun at Caledonia!!!

Can't wait to see PD in March! I thought about driving down to Pasatiempo from SFO in Feb, but at $220 plus travel costs it is a bit too much to swallow.

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »
The high cost and miserable first hole at Pasatiempo would exclude it from my list of accessible and fun.  It would go on my list with Torrey Pines South if I had a list.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 04:17:06 PM »
Bill:

Have you played Old Mac yet?  Curious to hear your thoughts on OM v. PD if you had to choose just one.

Sven

Not yet, will play twice in mid-March.  I have loved all the Macdonald/Raynors I've played so expect I'll love OM. 

I do know i will NOT be playing the "choose just one" game!

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »
Have only been to Ardglass once and played in very difficult conditions.  One of the most scenic courses I have ever seen and a great value.  11 and 12 are fantastic holes.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 04:25:59 PM »
Bill:

Sven

Not yet, will play twice in mid-March.  I have loved all the Macdonald/Raynors I've played so expect I'll love OM. 

I do know i will NOT be playing the "choose just one" game!

Fair enough, enjoy the trip, it'll be a blast.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 04:26:52 PM »
The high cost and miserable first hole at Pasatiempo would exclude it from my list of accessible and fun.  It would go on my list with Torrey Pines South if I had a list.

It was a great starter hole as a par 5 with no driving range to the left.

I still have Pasatiempo miles ahead of Torrey North or South  Please wash your mouth out with soap.

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »
Bill:

I have played 10 of your 11 and have enjoyed them all.  

Other kindred courses I would think about including.  I have discussed them all at one point or another on this board:

- Kington

- Riverdale Dunes - Dunes course - between DIA and Boulder
 - Rustic Canyon/Wildhorse - not exactly going out on a limb with either of those
 - Vistal - Phoenix
 - Sabino Springs - near Nogales, AZ - mediocre golf course, very cool location

Brian Marion

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »
Ok, looks like I have to get to Aiken!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 04:37:33 PM »
Bill:

I have played 10 of your 11 and have enjoyed them all.  

Other kindred courses I would think about including.  I have discussed them all at one point or another on this board:

- Kington

- Riverdale Dunes - Dunes course - between DIA and Boulder
 - Rustic Canyon/Wildhorse - not exactly going out on a limb with either of those
 - Vistal - Phoenix
 - Sabino Springs - near Nogales, AZ - mediocre golf course, very cool location

Rustic could join the list, haven't played the others.

Trying to make birdie at 12 is enough to put Rustic on the list.  I preferred the original 7th hole.  I hate the "native ESAs" more than I can say (reminded by my second to the new 7th last visit!).

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »
Bill,

I love your list. Have not played Painswick or Ardglass, but from what I've heard from you guys they fit the bill (pun intended).

One course I would HAVE to add to your list would be Kingsley Club. Roaring fun with a new thrill on every hole!!!

Another would be one of my most favorites, Caledonia. I've never NOT had fun at Caledonia!!!

Can't wait to see PD in March! I thought about driving down to Pasatiempo from SFO in Feb, but at $220 plus travel costs it is a bit too much to swallow.

Mike

I agree that Kingsley is great fun, but it doesn't meet the "accessible" definition - unless you are a GCA'er!

Shane Wright

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 05:40:03 PM »
Bill,

The Gorsemen will be in Scotland in August.  If we had just one space to fill, do you pick Crail or Elie?  Why? How many rounds do you have at each?

Thanks Bill,

Shane

Scott Szabo

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 05:45:43 PM »
Any discussion surely has to include Wild Horse in Gothenburg, Nebraska.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Shane Wright

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 05:53:48 PM »
Any discussion surely has to include Wild Horse in Gothenburg, Nebraska.

Amen.

It might be impossible to get more fun and affordable than Wild Horse. 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 05:54:46 PM »
Bill,

The Gorsemen will be in Scotland in August.  If we had just one space to fill, do you pick Crail or Elie?  Why? How many rounds do you have at each?

Thanks Bill,

Shane

Depends what you like but I'm relatively alone here in not being knocked sideways by Crail, but Elie's a tease and a test.  3 to 7.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
Bill,

Good list - no room for Huntercombe?

Shane Wright

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »
Bill,

Thanks Bill,

Shane

Depends what you like but I'm relatively alone here in not being knocked sideways by Crail, but Elie's a tease and a test.  3 to 7.

Thanks Tony,  I'm not even sure if we are going to have any room to squeeze another round in, but I think a few of us will want to get in 36 one of the days we are in the St. Andrew's area and I would love to hit one of the lesser know quality links in the area.

In your opinion, if I was going to play 3 rounds in the St. Andrew's area, obviously with the Old Course being one of them, what would you choose as the other two?  We have played Kingsbarns and really enjoyed it, but would prefer to see a couple others. 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »
Well as you ask.

TOC, New and Elie.

Crail and Jubilee next.

But I havn't palyed Kingsbarns or Lundin...

(If you are pressed for time you must find some to  fit in the Himalayas.  Aceesible, cheap £2 and FUN)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 06:17:36 PM »
Billy Boy - I'm glad you gave a nod to Ardglass.  After the recent redo of the ocean holes Ardglass is a step beyond just "good".  It's an excellent alternate if you have an extra day while staying at Slieve Donard and playing RCD.  JC

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 06:17:54 PM »

Ardglass is a fine choice Mr McBride.Wine Valley makes my list.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back