News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Walker

Re: Do IPhones Impact Golf's Future?
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2011, 01:27:39 PM »
Ryan-
exactly--lost control many years ago.

You'll like this Ryan--we went to bluetooths last year for a while...the corded headset got in the way, and we finally realized that putting with the phone on your shoulder caused you to push everything right.

And Paul, let's keep the 'dudes' to a minimum.

Brian Marion

« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »

That's rude, period. Anyone I have ever played with who wanted to take calls while playing, and I mean talk, set phone down, hit ball, continue talking, only got to play nine holes with Brian.

Where did Brian go, back to the first tee or his throne?

John, that comment was made in complete jest. The only throne I ascend to is the white one with the seat, lid and small handle. :-)

I understand cell phone use and will use mine if I have to while at the club, at the clubhouse. The only time I have ever used it while playing was an emergency of sorts (so thought the person calling me several times in a row) and even then, I excused myself when play slowed to where i could step away from the group for moment.

Jud_T

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »
The only legitimate use for a cell phone on a golf course is to browse this site when waiting for the clown in front of you to set his cheater line properly for that 3 footer for an X...

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Doug Siebert

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2011, 12:42:13 AM »
If a club allows cell phones, what you'll see is players adapting to it. 

Personally, I'd just insert it into my scotch games with a new rule:  if you use your cell phone during the play of a hole, it's a one-shot penalty for delay of game and 1 point for the other team.  That'll keep it at "emergencies only" faster than anything I can think of...

That's fine, so long I can put something in there about use of a long putter ;D

Seriously, I don't see what the big deal is with using a phone to check/return text messages or check voicemail.  Actually making/taking a call should be reserved for rare circumstances, and if the discussion is going to last longer than a minute or two or more than a couple calls during the round, the person really ought to review whether they belong on a golf course.  But the things I mentioned can be done quietly during a momentary downtime while waiting on the group ahead or someone in my own group, and can be interrupted immediately and picked up later if the downtime resolves itself.  Its incredibly disrespectful to be blabbing away on the phone while others in your group are waiting for you to play, unless it is a true emergency - the type that generally means the callee needs to ditch the rest of the round.

Even though I wouldn't like to be subject to it, I can understand the blanket bans, because despite the possibility of reasonable and respectful use of cell phones, too many people think they are too important to respect the others in their group or on the course, and will delay play or disturb others.  I wonder how well these bans are really enforced though - if someone has their phone in hand as the ranger rounds the corner, do they get told only to put it away, just to pull it back out again the minute the ranger is out of sight?

I'll bet the only places where the bans really work are private clubs where the majority of members (who are probably mostly retired) enforce it on the minority themselves via peer pressure.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

John Kirk

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2011, 12:50:16 AM »
For any close friend paying attention, the most private of dramas played out on my Facebook pages these last fifteen months.  I'm not proud of it.  I'm not a very private person, but I might reconsider.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back