News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pritchett

How Would You Split 10 Rounds at Bandon Dunes
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:09:34 AM »
for a first time visitor?

Thanks in advance. 

Mark

jonathan_becker

Re: How Would You Split 10 Rounds at Bandon Dunes
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »
Here's what I would do

3 Pac
3 OM
2 Trails
2 Dunes

A repeat trip would be

3 Pac
3 OM
3 Trails
1 Dunes

EDIT - After thinking about this again my repeat trip would be

4 OM
3 Pac
2 Trails
1 Dunes

Old Macdonald has an insane amount of shot options and as I reflect more upon my recent trip, 75% of the time I end up thinking about it over the others.  I think of the many different ways to play each hole.  You can't get bored out there!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:24:09 PM by jonathan_becker »

Tim Bert

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
Agree with Jonathan's first time split. The other thin I'd say is book it that way but work with the staff to change your afternoon rounds if you have a different preference after you've played them once each.

My personal return trip would be 4 Pac, 4 OM, 1 BD, 1 BT or perhaps even 5 Pac and 3 OM.

Richard Choi

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:34:24 AM »
I would go with Tim; 4PD, 4OM, 1BD, 1BT.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:36:05 AM »
This is sort of a personal question.  I have a friend who would make sure to play Bandon Trails on every afternoon round, because he absolutely loves the course and there are a lot of inland holes out of the wind.  Personally, I'd divide it up as evenly as I could, because I love all of the courses.  If I favored one over the rest, it would be Pacific Dunes, because for me, it's the most emblematic of what the resort has to offer.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 10:39:33 AM »
i also go with Jonathan's first trip idea
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 10:41:07 AM »
The reality of my fat assed 51 year old life is that I can not walk 10 rounds in a row.  I would head over to Bandon Crossings and play some fun golf in a cart.  I also like that free short course at the end of the range.

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:54:24 AM »
The reality of my fat assed 51 year old life is that I can not walk 10 rounds in a row.  I would head over to Bandon Crossings and play some fun golf in a cart.  I also like that free short course at the end of the range.

Biggie Smalls and the treadmill will set you free.

Mark,

One of these days you will listen to me.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »
I haven't seen OM but feel like BT is the best finish in the dark.  17 being a par 3 and every drive on 18 finishing in the exact same spot make BT the ultimate late afternoon round.  Not to mention it is empty.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 02:31:04 PM »
I'm glad you asked the question Mark, since it means you're that much closer to committing to the trip ;)

As a first timer myself, I'm also interested in the many answers provided.  I'll have seven rounds to spend at the resort and the way it's shaping up now, I'm likely playing OM 3 times, PD 2 times and BD and BT just 1 time.  Am I missing out by playing OM that many times in my first run through the resort?

Sean Leary

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 02:33:33 PM »
I'm glad you asked the question Mark, since it means you're that much closer to committing to the trip ;)

As a first timer myself, I'm also interested in the many answers provided.  I'll have seven rounds to spend at the resort and the way it's shaping up now, I'm likely playing OM 3 times, PD 2 times and BD and BT just 1 time.  Am I missing out by playing OM that many times in my first run through the resort?

Hi Matt,
Hope all is well and hope I catch you at Sagebrush next year. If I were you I would try to do it as evenly as possible the first trip here and I would try to play them in order as they were built, if possible.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 02:43:39 PM »
Bandon Dunes is so much better than the intellectuae let on, if I wasn't so easily influenced by the need to be accepted here I just might say I love the course.  It easily has the best first tee at the resort.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 02:47:06 PM »

Mark,

I listen, in fact our conversation inspired me to start this thread as thought many first time visitors would find it worthwhile.

Is there any value to playing the same course back to back on the same day, logistically or otherwise?  

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 02:50:36 PM »
Bandon Dunes is so much better than the intellectuae let on, if I wasn't so easily influenced by the need to be accepted here I just might say I love the course.  It easily has the best first tee at the resort.

A couple of my friends who have been to Bandon speak very highly of Bandon Dunes and have encouraged me to play it 3 out of the 1 rounds. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »

Mark,

I listen, in fact our conversation inspired me to start this thread as thought many first time visitors would find it worthwhile.

Is there any value to playing the same course back to back on the same day, logistically or otherwise?  

Here's something that might be valuable.  The second 18 can be sort of taxing on one's constitution, but 27 seems eminently more do-able.  If you want to do that, play Bandon Dunes in the afternoon, because it is the only course with "returning nines".  If you do that, you at least have an easy option to just play 27.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Alex Miller

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 03:03:25 PM »

Mark,

Here's something that might be valuable.  The second 18 can be sort of taxing on one's constitution, but 27 seems eminently more do-able.  If you want to do that, play Bandon Dunes in the afternoon, because it is the only course with "returning nines".  If you do that, you at least have an easy option to just play 27.

Good point, though I'm making note of it for when I try to fit in 45!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 03:05:13 PM »
Mark:

here goes ...

Old Mac = 4
Pac Dunes = 4
BT = 1
BD = 1

Agree w what Terry mentioned -- if you can handle 36 holes for several days that's a real grind.

best bet might be the 27-hole option he mentioned.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »
Terry, 

Great point in knowing Bandon has returning nines.  Thanks!

36 holes a day for five days in a row is a lot of golf, especially after traveling across the country, so I am okay with doing 9 or so holes in the afternoon if that is all I feel I can handle.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »
Also, I have interest in checking out the Sheep Ranch so I suppose I could bag an afternoon round and head there.  Assuming it is available of course. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 03:22:55 PM »
Also, I have interest in checking out the Sheep Ranch so I suppose I could bag an afternoon round and head there.  Assuming it is available of course. 

If you have ever broken 80 in your life I would not bother with the Sheep Ranch.  It is a haven for excuses and dreams, both which can be found aplenty at home.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »
Good point, I think I would be better off with another round on a world class course. 

Sean Leary

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
Sheep Ranch is a beardpullers dream and worth doing once but not over another round at any of the 4 courses on your first trip.

Jud_T

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 03:41:22 PM »
I'd spend exactly 30 minutes on each hole watching the grass grow, then decide for yourself.... ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Hendren

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
After watching last fall's Tennessee-LSU football game I'd have to say:

Pacific Dunes 4
Old Macdonald 4
Bandon Trails 4
Bandon Dunes 1

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 06:16:52 PM »

My brother, a good player who lives in Eugene, has been playing at Bandon since it opened.  He still likes Bandon Dunes the best, his first true love.

But what does he know?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back