News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel Zuckerman

Golf in Fiji??
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:54:34 AM »
Have any of you world travelers or southern hemisphere types ever played in Fiji?  Is it worthwhile?  Can you recommend a specific GC? I will be in the port of Lautoka for one day, and am curious if I should venture forth with my sticks...needing to return to the cruise ship by late afternoon.

Thanks for any informed advice or opinions!

Aidan Bradley

Re: Golf in Fiji??
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »
The Dec 13 issue of GolfGlobalPost has an interesting article on Fiji.

http://digital.globalgolfpost.com/globalgolfpost

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 12:41:16 PM »
One of my friends (can't think who it was right now) played the relatively new course in Fiji with Vijay's name in it earlier this year, and said it was pretty good ... worth playing if you go that way, anyway.

Ash Towe

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:48:15 PM »
Tom, 

The course is Natadola Bay.  It does not have Vijay's name on it now.  I think there were financial issues in the construction phase.

it is a fantastic setting, great conditioning, windy in the afternoons and quite penal.  Not sure of how it fits geographically.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 01:55:36 PM »
Posted by: Aidan Bradley 
Insert Quote
The Dec 13 issue of GolfGlobalPost has an interesting article on Fiji.

http://digital.globalgolfpost.com/globalgolfpost

Yes---That's where I got the idea...hoping to get a round in anyway before the ship gets to New Zealand, where a nice golf itinerary awaits.  But--have discovered the Shangri-La described in that Global Golf Post article is a full 5 hours travel from the port we're arriving to, so with just 9 hours on land it's a complete no-go.  That's why I was looking for something in the vicinity of the Laukota port where we arrive and depart.  Will check out Ash's recommendation and see if it's feasible.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 02:00:06 PM »
Tom, 

The course is Natadola Bay.  It does not have Vijay's name on it now.  I think there were financial issues in the construction phase.

it is a fantastic setting, great conditioning, windy in the afternoons and quite penal.  Not sure of how it fits geographically.

There was a huge row about that place and Vijay took his name off it (that's all I know about it).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Brett Morris

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »
Have any of you world travelers or southern hemisphere types ever played in Fiji?  Is it worthwhile?  Can you recommend a specific GC? I will be in the port of Lautoka for one day, and am curious if I should venture forth with my sticks...needing to return to the cruise ship by late afternoon.

Thanks for any informed advice or opinions!

Hi Joel,

We did the grow in for the new course in Fiji, The InterContinental.  It is a full monostand of paspalum.  Nice course with some great elevation movement.  It is by far the best course in Fiji, but from Lautoka would be around one and a half hours drive minimum depending on how many horses and cows are on the road.  The other local course is in Nadi close to Lautoka which is the Denarau Golf and Racquet Club.  Not at the same standard at the new one, but around 30 minutes drive.  Here's some photos of the new course.  I have lived in Fiji and worked at both courses, let me know if you want anymore information.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back