News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Rhebb

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Barnbougle Lost Farm Photos
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
Wicked photos, Keith. Thanks for the link.

And, great job on the design and construction down there, att Lost Farm. Can't wait to see Streamsong.
jeffmingay.com

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:31:39 PM »
Fabulous pictures.  Makes you wish you were there and playing it tomorrow.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
Keith,
Thanks for the photo tour.
A wonderful teaser for all the Boomerang participants this coming March.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Ash Towe

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 07:45:17 PM »
Keith,

Fantastic pics of a wonderful course and setting from what we see here.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:28:23 AM »
Just back from the opening - the wind was howling all weekend but the course is great fun and very playable in the high wind.
There are so many shots to hit that are best played at head height and that run quite a way to the greens and the flags.
The 4th hole -Sally's point named because it was always the spot Richard Sattler's wife,Sally, wanted to build a house - is about 125 yards and I hit a 3 iron on Saturday and a 4 on Sunday.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:41:38 AM »
Judging from a bunch of the photos, there seem to be a lot of cases where players will either hit fairways or lose a ball in the thick, gnarly-looking stuff.  What is the average fairway width?  The course looks spectacular in general.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 01:31:21 AM »
Tim,

The fairways are massive - the widest I have ever seen.
It is possible to lose a ball but the most likely places are the par 3s 15 and 17.

Mark_F

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 01:43:38 AM »
It is possible to lose a ball but the most likely places are the par 3s 15 and 17.

Mike,

I would have thought the right side of 8, left side of 9 and either side of 14 would be more likely than 15 or 17.

I don't see where you would lose one on 15, and after they play 17 once, no one is going to play it again...  :D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 02:42:49 AM »
For the record I lost balls on holes 4, 6, 7, and 14 in the marram, and not even my playing partner Mr. Coore could find them.  (But we still won our match against Messrs. Keiser and Sattler.). But the wind was howling and the marram has not yet had the benefit of much golfer traffic to thin it a bit in the most critical areas.  Mike Clayton is right, the fairways are enormous, 40-50% larger in area than Barnbougle which isn't too narrow.

I was a very big fan of some of the less talked about holes such as 6, 7, 8, and 16 and I think they are important in not overloading the senses when the wind picks up as is not unusual there.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 03:24:18 AM »
Congrats Keith on a job well done.  Course looks awesome.  Its always fun to go back and see how everything looks all grown in and maintained. 

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 05:01:18 AM »
Keith,
seriously your pics of Lost Farm just keep getting better and better, and you have been able to highlight your fantastic work - just looks great, that must have been a fun fourball to follow around!  ;)
Looking forward to my 36, sorry make that 40 holes on Tuesday, hoping for wind and sunshine....

Tom the FW's aren't as wide as Old Mac are they?
@theflatsticker

Anthony Butler

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 06:09:31 AM »

Mike,

I would have thought the right side of 8, left side of 9 and either side of 14 would be more likely than 15 or 17.

I don't see where you would lose one on 15, and after they play 17 once, no one is going to play it again...  :D

Mike Clayton might be overestimating some people's game-certainly mine. After looking at the photos,  I'm seeing 18 holes where I could lose a ball–especially if the four club wind mentioned is a regular part of the round.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:43:39 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Thanks Keith for the before and after photos I'll bet you're pretty happy with the way things have turned out.

Look forward to seeing it for myself in a few months time.

Anthony Butler

Re: Fairway width
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 08:40:03 AM »
Sorry can't work out how to delete this post.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:42:12 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »
Mark,

You could lose one on the right of 8 - but there is 80 yards of fairway left of the automatic lost ball territory and there is way more room right than it looks off the tee. There is a lot of visual discouragement from driving where you can't see it off the tee.
14 you could if you drove at the green and pushed it a touch but again there is acres of room left.
15 into a big wind is easy to lose one left and it was a driver shot on the opening day - and there is not that much room around 17 when the wind is blowing.
There was a discussion about the 11th hole some time ago and having played it a few times now I think it is one of the very best holes - and not many will talk about it. 16, as Tom said, is also a fantastic hole on the flat ground.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 01:14:50 AM »
and not many will talk about it. 16,

On one playing 16 is probably my favourite, I'm a sucker for good flat holes.

I'd expect some lost balls on 5 and 10 as people try to chew off too much inside dogleg dune

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 06:06:46 AM »
Terry,

It is true that there will be lost balls at 5 and 10 - but there is 80 yards of fairway to the side of the lost ball zones on both holes.
Perhaps there is a little less than that at 10 but not so much.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »
Mike,

Agreed, it's your own stupid fault if you lose one on those holes, I just think they're the more likely

Ian Andrew

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 08:44:28 AM »
Keith,

Thank you so much for the walking tour, I was grateful for your time.
I think the work has turned out stunning.

Anything to share on the work at the 12th green and 13th fairway.
You were in the process of raising the area and I was curious of decisions or difficulties you had faced?

Thanks in advance.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »
I see the visual challenge with 10, the "Moonah" like tree on the left side at 250 yards off the terracottas, feels like a line you could take as it 'appears' s though there is room once you get around there, alas it is very tight to side of the large dune.

We played in beautiful Tassie sunshine, with minimal breeze(unfortunately), and we still lost balls, but only through pilot error, not because of perceived room to hit it off the tee. Tom said he lost a ball on 6, as did one of our group, really just because the marram is sooo thick.

It is a truly wonderful layout, and an absolute joy to both play and walk, although perhaps if the course was owned by a golfer and not a hotelier, the walk to the "21st" hole would not be so ridiculous.

Of course there are many great holes, as mentioned above, 5 & 8 the toughest & best P4 & P5 of the 36 (with respect to BD8), I too am a fan of 6,7,11 as guys mentioned above, am most looking forward to seeing the variety of pins on 2,3,5,6,9,15,17 - these seem to have the most or greatest internal contours and incredible elevation change on the spectacular 5th.

It looks as though the wattle may prove challenging for the maintenance guys, not as bad as gorse though! The background of 8 has lost a bit of it's majestic feel since I last seen it in Feb, with the massive sand blow out areas that frame the back of the hole, almost half disappeared or camouflaged by he wild wattle. 7 still looks great.

Can't wait to go back, best bang for your buck I know.

@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back