News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: JH Taylor - in praise of the aerial game (and cross bunkers)
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »
RS:

That is all very interesting about the playing characteristics of the gutty compared to the Haskell or heavier ball that came in after it, particularly how quickly the gutty stopped and did not runout compared to the Haskell or heavier ball.

It is also interesting how much the older players who had used the gutty liked it compared to the heavier ball that ran out too much. Obviously, in their opinion with the gutty stopping as it did hazards could be brought in closer to greens and the aerial game consequently was at a premium.

I must say I was not aware that the gutty was considered far more of an aerial ball compared to the heavier ball. I always thought the ground game was very much a part of old golf and old architecture.

There is a real irony here, however, because we today can create essentially the same playing conditions that would recreate the playing characteristics of the old gutty and its aerial characteristics.

All we would need to do is just keep golf courses irrigated and very receptive to today's ball so there would be no bounce and runout on fairways or greens or anywhere else.

Problem is, we, at least in America, have just been through about fifty plus years of that and we are now trying to get away from it for various reasons including to bring approximately one half the game of golf back, at least as an option----eg the ground game!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:06:38 PM by TEPaul »

RSLivingston_III

Re: JH Taylor - in praise of the aerial game (and cross bunkers)
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 03:39:02 PM »
TEP,

I have been slowing working on an idea about the development of architecture during the 19th century based on the B&I developments.
Research material to validate these ideas is rather thin...

I see the featherball era as being played down through the valleys of the dunes. Not much in the way of raised structures as there were not clubs to loft the ball. They might have carried one iron club but it was more for trouble shots. A set, as such, would consist of all wood head clubs as the balls wouldn't hold up to strikes with iron clubs and wood was kinder to them. I see TOC as still being a featherball course with a lot of bunkers added.

Once the gutty came along and Irons were in full development and use, thats when I believe they started playing up to and over structures-dunes- and I would bet that bunkers changed in form. In other words I think it might have been the 1860-70's that the beginnings of the 'steeplechase' design started to show up. Think Prestwick.
I have found these clubs very easy to play and you need to have some things to play over to give some challenge.

The rubberball saw the reintroduction of the ground game. Aerial was an option that was pushed by Vardon. In his book, he complained about the Americans favoring a low running shot to get distance and he advocated cross bunkers to get players to start striking the ball in a proper carry manner. Or at least to have both shots in their skill set.
Obviously this would lead to more options architecturally.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:43:09 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back