News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Discrimination in Golf - Valid handicapp of 24 or less to play
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:38:56 PM »
Just watched the Singapor open and checked out the web site of the course and found that for four hundred and fifty dollars I could play but then read on you need a valid handicapp of 24 or less to play and currently I have no valid handicapp. I am sure they are trying to protect the velocity of play but I find such a rule as discrimeratory and bad for golf in general. doubt you could get away with such in the US, have you heard of such in other countries, are there those on this site that favor such??

Tim Bert

Re: Discrimination in Golf - Valid handicapp of 24 or less to play
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
I believe that you need to have a registered handicap, and there is a maximum, to play The Old Course and a number of others.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:44:02 PM »
Royal Portrush asks for a letter of introduction/confirmation of handicap, don't know how strict the courses follow these rules.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:49:55 PM »
It is not at all uncommon for visiting golfers in GB&I to be asked for a handicap certificate and a maximum handicap allowed on the course.

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 10:26:06 PM »
I believe that you need to have a registered handicap, and there is a maximum, to play The Old Course and a number of others.

Tim,

we were told that back in 1996 before visiting TOC, and had a letter from our pro, .. we got into the lottery and got a tee time, and when we showed up at the pro shop, they said "very nice" but not needed..

::)
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 10:32:57 PM »
Randy. I've been under the impression that Germany, due to their limited supply, has a stipulation of 18 handicap plus pass a rules and etiquette test before being allowed on an 18 hole course. They'd never get away with it in the states, but maybe they should've ?  Maybe the over supply would have been more carefully considered. Versus building to sell RE or memberships for the day. Ccfad.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:20:04 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »
I guess having a registered handicapp is borderline but acceptable, the maximum handicapp just strikes me as bad for golf! How do you develop new players if they are discriminated against and can only play at ABC courses and not XYZ.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:50:42 PM »
Randy,
You don't develop players on courses that charge $450 a round. I would also be surprised if the person at the counter of that golf course will even ask you for your handicap card when you hand them four Franklins and a Grant. 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Randy Thompson

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:59:25 PM »
Jim,
Your probably right and if he does, he probably fiqures if this guy can pay $450, he can pay another 20 or 50 to me in the form of a bribe, since he has a 25 handicapp!

Brian Stewart

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
Is that valid on both courses or just Serapong?  I've only played Serapong (it is pretty good but not worth a special trip or anything) and seem to remember that the other courses is more for beginners.  FWIW no one asked me for my handicap card and I was playing as a single that was referred by the Fairmont.  They also have a fairly strict dress codes with signs to show you what is acceptable and what isn't.  I shot 81 IIRC though and made friends with a member and his wife.  It was a great day.

As I mentioned in another thread I've been fortunate enough to play golf in 20+ countries.  The maximum handicap requirement is actually pretty common in a lot of those places at nicer facilities.  At least it is a stated requirement.  I don't think I've ever had to actually present my card although in many cases I've had my pro provide a letter of introduction.

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 11:05:36 PM »
I only have been checked two or three times at the Old Course,but One of those times was the day I snap hooked it left out of bounds off the first tee.I was a low single digit at the time and I remember him eyeing me suspiciously.I guess I couldn't handle the pressure.I don't know how I even hit the third shot.

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 11:32:56 PM »

That's why there are driving ranges, par 3 courses, executive courses ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Randy Thompson

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 12:35:50 AM »
Mike,
What is the average handicapp, I think it is around 21, so if your slightly below average handicapp 24 or above you think they all need to be limited, to driving ranges, par 3´s and exec courses??

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 02:03:02 AM »
To memory I have only been asked three times for a handicap; TOC, St Enodoc and Praia d'el Rey - Rye asked what my handicap and club was though took my word.  Nearly all of the courses in the UK have a stated policy of requiring a handicap cert though very few follow through on it.  I never invite a mate of mine to play in various opens because he doesn't have a handicap cert.  I would normally not care, but it is easy to obtain one in the UK through https://secure.golfclubgb.co.uk/index.php?pg=23  One can't play in EGU events but that is no a big deal unless you are a very good golfer.  Also, a lot of hit and miss players golf through societies. 

If the rule were properly enforced I think golfing as a visitor would be better at the private clubs in the UK, but the reality is clubs need the cash so ignore the rule.  I suspect clubs keep the policy in place as a back-up to chuck out screw balls and to scare away some folks perusing the website.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 02:36:17 AM »
Once in Spain as I didn't have a handicap certificate with me I was required to purchase some range balls and the pro made me hit a few shots before allowing me to play.
Cave Nil Vino

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 02:42:29 AM »

Discrimination in Golf – no I think not, they just want to know that you can play golf. Just like driving a car in the UK the Authorities need proof that you are fully competent and not just a learner. Honesty is the best policy and if you are borderline, many clubs will try to help, perhaps by setting you up with a high handicap Member or suggest a quiet time to play. There may be the odd club that just can’t accommodate you, so suggest you seek out a Member who will enjoy telling you all about the history of the club as you play around as his guest.

Of course our clubs are happy to boost their revenue by allowing visitors  - its just that they want to trust you on their course, I see no discrimination in that.

Melvyn

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 03:00:04 AM »
Randy their website shows a 36.6 USGA limit.

I know of one player and have seen video evidence of them playing their one and only game ever at ANGC.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 03:16:28 AM »
And she looks better in the tiny skirt than any of us would, Chappers!!

How'd you spend that afternoon in Spain after the pro saw how high you got your left heel off the ground and directed you straight back to the carpark?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 05:02:59 AM »
I am sure they are trying to protect the velocity of play but I find such a rule as discrimeratory and bad for golf in general.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "discriminatory."  But IMO a private club should be able to set such rules if it chooses.  I doubt it has much effect on golf in general. 

When they say the average handicap is around 21, doesn't that only apply to golfers with handicaps?  I bet if all golfers had handicaps, the average would be quite a bit higher than that. 

Gary Slatter

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 06:04:23 AM »
You need a valid HDCP in most of the world other than Canada and the US.   Usually it's 30 and under for men and 36 and under for women, in case of the ballot the lower the better.  If you were operating a course you'd see that this can be a good thing.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 06:59:11 AM »
A club that I'm a member of in Brisbane (not a golf club) here in Australia has reciprocal rights at a bunch of clubs in the US, including both Riviera and Olympic (and a bunch of others that don't have golf courses, LAAC etc).

The Captain of my golf club, +1 marker and 3 time club champion is also a member of the club that has these reciprocal rights.  After enjoying a game at Olympic, he was at Riviera and was told he required evidence of his HCP.  Due to the time difference, he couldn't get hold of anyone at his home club to verfiy his claims to a +1 mark etc.

The staff asked him to hit a few balls on the range, he shanked one and was promptly told he couldn't play!

(luckily sanity prevailed and someone managed to get in touch with Olympic where the member he joined for a game revealed that said gentleman had managed to shoot 74 on the Lake and 29 on the Cliffs and Riviera allowed to him to play a few minutes later!)

Jeff Tang

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 07:11:22 AM »
When I played TOC in 2000 I needed to show my handicap card. They then wrote my handicap on the tee sheet next to my name.

My buddy who was with me had a letter of introduction from his home pro and he needed to show that as well.

So bad it's good!

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 07:55:51 AM »
I find nothing wrong with handicap limits at all, in fact, I wish courses would do the same here in the States!
H.P.S.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 08:29:50 AM »
this is a joke, right?  Next thing you'll want to let 85 year old blind people drive around Florida because taking away their driver's license would "limit their freedom"

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 08:43:23 AM »
I've heard of one private club in the Chicago area with 2 courses that only allowed members with an 18 handicap or less to play on their "better" course on weekend mornings.

I don't know if this is still the case.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back