News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J Sadowsky

Golf in Vietnam
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:11:32 PM »
Does anyone here have any golf courses to recommend or avoid in Vietnam?  I am planning a two-week trip, and while I originally planned to get my golfing done in Dalat, it looks like we are no longer headed there.  Any courses on the coast, particularly near Hoi An or Hanoi, would be great.  Thanks.

Jud_T

Re: Golf in Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:18:20 PM »
I hear there's a great new overseas membership club in Cambodia, it's dirt cheap and very minimalistic.... ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 02:25:30 PM »
Justin,

My buddies rave about the Ho Chi Minh Golf Trail.  This link has some great information.

http://www.hochiminhgolftrail.com/?catid=2

Ralph Bresee

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »
In honor of Veteran's Day, I presume.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:29:23 PM »
Justin - Dalat Palace is the famous name, supposed to have been originally designed by Hugh Alison in the 20s. It recently changed hands. I've heard great things about Greg Norman's course at Danang - a friend of mine who does a lot of business in Vietnam told me it was a superb site. And the Monty course, also in Danang, has had some good press too.

Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I have included in my trip a round at Danang Golf Club, a Norman Aussie-styled course.  I appreciate all the recommendations.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
In browsing around the website that John K provided, I noticed that Billy Casper played at Dalat in 1966 on a USO tour.  I walked around with him at the course at Subic Bay, Philippines on that same trip.  Subic was a little less dangerous than in-country Vietnam, except for the monkeys who would scamper down of a huge banyan tree and snatch your ball if the forecaddies couldn't get there first.

Last time I saw Vietnam we were lobbing 5" shells over the coastal range from our destroyer.  I would love to play golf there....

J Sadowsky

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 01:18:34 PM »
In browsing around the website that John K provided, I noticed that Billy Casper played at Dalat in 1966 on a USO tour.  I walked around with him at the course at Subic Bay, Philippines on that same trip.  Subic was a little less dangerous than in-country Vietnam, except for the monkeys who would scamper down of a huge banyan tree and snatch your ball if the forecaddies couldn't get there first.

Last time I saw Vietnam we were lobbing 5" shells over the coastal range from our destroyer.  I would love to play golf there....

Yeah, i wanted to play in Dalat as well, but the trip is already 16 days long and Dalat is not fitting into the schedule.  We are at the beach for 4 days, and that's when the wife will let me golf.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
I hear there's a great new overseas membership club in Cambodia, it's dirt cheap and very minimalistic.... ;)
Jud
I am sure its me, but I dont get this and the wink ?

Care to explain.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »
Justin
Have a look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/43854915@N03/tags/montgomerielinks/

Who is doing the design work for Mr. Montgomerie nowadays.

Slightly influenced by Curley & Schmidt , no ?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 12:08:45 AM »
As much as I love golf, there are a few other things to keep a man busy day and night there.

Rob Miller

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 02:53:08 AM »
Here are some photos on Dalat Palace:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43730.0/

and Monty Links

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43697.msg947253/topicseen/

I saw but didn't play the new Norman course.  Could be interesting but looks very development-oriented.

There's also a new development in Danang, Diamond Bay, an Andy Dye course which is slated to open this year. 

Even with the new openings, Dalat Palace is still my favorite course in Vietnam.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 12:15:26 PM »
Jud
I am sure its me, but I dont get this and the wink ?

Care to explain.
I took a position in a different thread against the economics of national clubs.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 12:24:35 PM »
I chose Danang GC over Montgomerie Links because the pictures of Montgomerie Links didn't suit my eyes.  Seems like its overbunkered (without focusing on the strategic merit), and the "Asian-look" where the bunkers contrast so heavily with the land just doesn't appeal to me.  I know the Australian-styled-look of Danang is manufactured to an extent, but it appeals better to me, and it may be years before I actually make it to Australia/New Zealand anyway.  

Here are some images of Danang from Google

Maybe I'll try to check out Monty Links if I can squeeze in a second round.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 02:30:32 PM »
Tiger Bernhardt,

When you mention diversions in Vietnam that are preferable to golf I assume you are talking about the Pho?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 10:40:27 PM »
Mike err No! but the local cuisine is lifted any place the French touch. I love the look of these courses though. I wish I was younger where I do not have to pick and choose my pleasures each day or hmmm night. 

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 01:21:31 AM »
I took a position in a different thread against the economics of national clubs.

But why "Cambodia" ?

J Sadowsky

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 09:24:55 AM »
Mike err No! but the local cuisine is lifted any place the French touch. I love the look of these courses though. I wish I was younger where I do not have to pick and choose my pleasures each day or hmmm night.  

We're excited about the cuisine too.  We are doing Angkor --> Saigon/HCM --> Hue --> Hoi An/Danang --> Hanoi --> Sapa --> Halong.  So there is not going to be a lot of golf in a rather longish trip.

But why "Cambodia" ?

To be funny?  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 10:08:42 AM »

But why "Cambodia" ?

Brian,

Is was not uncommon in the late 70's for Cambodia to be used as the butt of jokes.  Jud was simply doing a call back to a time when political correctness did not exist to the extent that it does today.  Sadly we Americans do still not see a life that does not look like us as our equals but we are getting closer death by death.  Though I doubt we will learn completely until we ourselves are the butt of the joke.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 12:16:12 PM »
John
Thanks for taking the time to explain .

Although dont ask me to understand it .

I keep thinking I am logging in to Golf Club ATLAS each day, yet it seems to get further and further away from that .

Best Regards
Brian
(Writing from, about 30 minutes away from Cambodia !)

Craig Disher

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
This appears to be a course under construction in 2015. It's just to the SE of Hue. Is anyone familiar with the project?

Mike_Duffy

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 09:47:29 PM »
I have played the Monty several times and I can heartily recommend it as a very enjoyable day out. The Danang area of Vietnam is becoming the country's golf hub. The only drawback is the incredible humidity but there is nothing that can be done about that apart from starting the round as early as possible in the morning.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 02:04:57 PM »
This appears to be a course under construction in 2015. It's just to the SE of Hue. Is anyone familiar with the project?

Buddy of mine is growing in 3 Nicklaus courses... or running maintenance... one or the other... in Quy Nhon.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 10:35:23 PM »

Charles Lund

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 08:37:13 AM »
I spent a week in Danang in January.

I played the Greg Norman course three times. Montgomery Links once, and the Faldo course, Laguna Langco once.  Laguna Langco is about 90 to 120 minutes north of Danang while the others are close to the center of Danang.

The Norman course is the highest ranked of the three and the dune land gives it the look of one of my favorite courses in Australia, The Moonah Course at the National Golf Club.  Thete is a good mix of holes, although three of the par fives seemed inordinately long.  Laguna Langco is less readily accessible and the greens were in need of work.  I liked the variation in holes with lots of sandy waste areas.  There was a good mix of short and long par fours, challenging par threes, and memorable par fives.   Holes ran along the base of a mountain, in a flat area, and along the sea.  The Montgomery Links had a lot of water holes.  It seemed to lack the aesthetics of the other two.

There is another course which just opened.  I think the name is Bana Hills or something like that.  It is built on the side of a mountain as part of a development with a lot of architecture in a European style.  Luke Donald was apparently the golf professional associated with the project.

There is a day tour to  My Son and Hoi An which I did on one day and another to Hue.  Golf Asian arranged the tee times,  lodging, hotel, and shuttle.  I stayed in the center of the city which is only 15 minutes from the airport.  I got around fine on foot and taxis are inexpensive if you don't like walking. 

Danang is much smaller and less hectic than Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City. 

I have been to Chiang Mai and Hua Hin in Thailand.  I have come to think of golf in Asia as a diversion that can be a part of a trip, but the food, sightseeing, and cultural immersion experiences are probably more important factors to consider in traveling there, from  my perspective.

I was in college from 1965 to 1969.  We were preoccupied with the Vietnam War then and subject to being drafted.  I ultimately was successful at avoiding the draft.  But for all of us who grew up in that era, it shaped a lot of our experiences at that time in our lives.  So traveling there had another type of meaning.

I had a good experience flying through Hong Kong and laying over there on trips to Asia on my way to and from other destinations.  On the last two, Cathay Pacific essentially threw in the flights to Bangkok in one case and Danang on this one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back