News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Freeman

Re: 2nd Annual Midwest Mashie @ Lawsonia - The Wrap Up
« Reply #375 on: May 26, 2011, 09:48:43 AM »
I too like #5 as a short par 5, whatever yardage one needs to play to make it one.  If you play it too short I actually think the drive would be easier as the hole opens up past the traditional landing zone and you could essentially fly the speed slot.  And then instead of having to make decisions about a layup vs. going for it and taking the cross bunkers and pin location into account, you just hit it over everything onto the green. 

#5 is one of the best holes on the course IMO.  The movement of the fairway, the cross bunkers, and that green (!!!) make for a wonderful hole.  I would agree that the drive is a little un-Lawsonia like due to how tight it is (relatively, of course), however, being a short par 5 you could easily hit something less than driver and still reach the green in three with ease if you didn't want to challenge the OB right and long grass left.

Fantastic hole; one of many!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

PCCraig

« Reply #376 on: May 26, 2011, 11:30:04 AM »
...On the first hole as a par-4, the berm never comes into play and the hole is weaker for it IMO. That doesn't mean it's not a fine opening hole for get you warmed up for the round.

I beg to differ.  Calcutt drove it into the bunker off the tee on Sunday morning!  I did as well on Saturday afternoon but there was a substantial helping wind.

So it does come into play and should be in the back of the mind of longer hitters trying to cut off the dogleg.

That's because Calcutt is a beast and takes severly aggressive lines! :) Remember the 15th at Blackwolf Run?
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #377 on: May 26, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »
I too like #5 as a short par 5, whatever yardage one needs to play to make it one.  If you play it too short I actually think the drive would be easier as the hole opens up past the traditional landing zone and you could essentially fly the speed slot.  And then instead of having to make decisions about a layup vs. going for it and taking the cross bunkers and pin location into account, you just hit it over everything onto the green. 

#5 is one of the best holes on the course IMO.  The movement of the fairway, the cross bunkers, and that green (!!!) make for a wonderful hole.  I would agree that the drive is a little un-Lawsonia like due to how tight it is (relatively, of course), however, being a short par 5 you could easily hit something less than driver and still reach the green in three with ease if you didn't want to challenge the OB right and long grass left.

Fantastic hole; one of many!

#5 is an awesome hole, regardless of it's par.

I'm actually surprised they kept as many trees around that tee during the renovation, but then it might be because they wanted to protect the road/OB on the right from slices, and protect the 1st green from duck hooks.
H.P.S.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #378 on: May 26, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »

#5 is an awesome hole, regardless of it's par.

I'm actually surprised they kept as many trees around that tee during the renovation, but then it might be because they wanted to protect the road/OB on the right from slices, and protect the 1st green from duck hooks.

If that was the impetus, than they did a crappy job of it, since both tee balls in our foursomes match on Sunday morning went OB right.  And from what I saw over the weekend, the second tee box is in a lot more danger from #5 than the first green. 

JWinick

« Reply #379 on: May 26, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
We are splitting hairs.... I'm not against blind tee shots.   But, I do believe that Lawsonia overuses the concept.   That's all.   It's a very good golf course.

I think the 8th is pretty darn good hole.  I really like that the further and more left you go, the better angle you have back up the hill to the green.  Attempting to cut the corner to chew off some distance leaves you with a difficult short iron over an imposing bunker.

But what I think really makes the hole are the back bunkers and the drop off at the rear of the green.  These especially come into play if you take the more direct route to the green from the right and over-club to try to avoid the fronting bunker.  If you get your tee ball out left and far enough you’ll have an approach directly up the length of the green with no fronting bunker to toil with.  If this green had a grass “backboard” I think the interest of the hole would be greatly diminished.

Another blind-ish tee shot Winick!  I love ‘em.

During my first go around this weekend I hit a perfect drive near the end of the fairway towards the big tree.  With a gap wedge in my hand I got a little too aggressive to the back pin and bounded over into the rear bunker (firm greens!).  From there I proceeded to card a 6.  I hit to the middle of the green the next two rounds!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #380 on: May 26, 2011, 03:43:35 PM »
Thanks for the discussion of Lawsonia guys.  I'm going to experience it Saturday morning.  Really looking forward to it.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

PCCraig

« Reply #381 on: May 26, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »
Thanks for the discussion of Lawsonia guys.  I'm going to experience it Saturday morning.  Really looking forward to it.

You're a week too late Joe!
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #382 on: May 26, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »

Maybe we were a week too early, Pat.

Maybe, every year on Memorial Day weekend, they start new cutting new holes each morning.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Joe Bausch

« Reply #383 on: May 26, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »

If anyone is still stranded/living near Green Lake (!) and would like to meet on Friday evening, PM me.  I'll be traveling up after a late round in Erin.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

RJ_Daley

« Reply #384 on: May 26, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »
Any other time I would Joe.  I've wanted to meet you for quite some time with all your contributions on the historical aspects that you've shared.  But, I goofed my back and some rib muscles again at last weeks mashie.  I tried men's club today and had to quit at 9.  Otherwise, I'd show up Fri or Sat.  Have fun and I hope it is still moderately firm for best playing conditions.  More rain on the way Sat and Sun here, unfortunately.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back