News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Potash

I got this e-mail today; when I opened it it said:

A special invitation, play the 2 most storied golf courses on the west coast.

1 was obviously going to be pebble beach.  Scrolling down with tempered optimism (I'm no idiot, I wasnt expecting to be offered an opportunity to play CPC)......I find that the 2nd most storied course on the west coast is -

DEL MONTE GOLF COURSE

I have been on this signt for a few years and have never even heard of this course.  Is this a storied course?  Surprising this would come from the MGA.

Anyway, I thought it was funny so wanted to share.

Brian

David_Tepper

Re: funny e-mail - An Invitation from Pebble Beach for MGA Members
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 10:07:31 PM »
Brian -

Del Monte is one of the 2 or 3 oldest courses west of the Mississippi. It is certainly the oldest course on the Monterey Peninsula.

DT

Scott Weersing

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »

What is funny is that you might think that this is a special invite. It seems that MGA, as well as SCGA, and every other golf association in the US gave up their email list to the Pebble Beach Co. I wonder what MGA got for giving up their email list.

It would seem the Pebble Beach Co. is looking for a way to advertise without high costs.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »
Del Monte was defintitely THE course in northern California until the late teens. You can find many articles about it in the early golf magazines and newspapers...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:11:18 AM »
1897, and is the oldest contiguously operated course west o' the Mississippi.

I've heard the names of Banks and Mackenzie associated. Don't know who really did it.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Tepper

Ron Csigo

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 09:55:51 AM »
Has anyone played Del Monte and can they comment on the course and their experience?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Tom Yost

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:27 AM »

What is funny is that you might think that this is a special invite. It seems that MGA, as well as SCGA, and every other golf association in the US gave up their email list to the Pebble Beach Co. I wonder what MGA got for giving up their email list.

It would seem the Pebble Beach Co. is looking for a way to advertise without high costs.

My email inbox was graced with this offer as well (AGA).  Anyone call to find what this special invitation will cost me?

Jim Hoak

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 11:03:51 AM »
I have played Old Del Monte several times.  It is OK to pretty good.  Several interesting holes.  It is where the Champions' Tour plays--along with Pebble Beach--the First Tee Open over Labor Day.  It is worth playing if you are in the area instead of some of the newer courses on the Peninsula.
It is out near the airport and is bordered by the Hyatt Hotel.  The original resort in the area was the Del Monte Hotel, which is now the Naval Post-graduate School and is right across Highway 1 to the the West.  That was a railroad destination hotel at the turn of the century, offering cool, summer weather to the people to the East of Monterrey.  That's why the four railroad barons got together and hired Samuel Morse to build and develop Pebble Beach.
So the Old Del Monte golf course is a major part of the history of the area.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 11:48:10 AM »
Has anyone played Del Monte and can they comment on the course and their experience?

Ron, The course is worth playing, however, it is not worth what the company charges for it.

Wednesday night league, during the summer is the best way to play. You get to play against the best players in the area and I don't believe they get full boat for green fee. That of course is very old info.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 12:03:35 PM »
1897, and is the oldest contiguously operated course west o' the Mississippi.

Does that mean the operated both the front and back 9 at the same time?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ron Csigo

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 12:04:23 PM »

Ron, The course is worth playing, however, it is not worth what the company charges for it.

Wednesday night league, during the summer is the best way to play. You get to play against the best players in the area and I don't believe they get full boat for green fee. That of course is very old info.

What other course in Monterey is it similar to?  Is it worth playing over Pacific Grove?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Michael Huber

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »
I have played Old Del Monte several times.  It is OK to pretty good.  Several interesting holes.  It is where the Champions' Tour plays--along with Pebble Beach--the First Tee Open over Labor Day.  It is worth playing if you are in the area instead of some of the newer courses on the Peninsula.
It is out near the airport and is bordered by the Hyatt Hotel.  The original resort in the area was the Del Monte Hotel, which is now the Naval Post-graduate School and is right across Highway 1 to the the West.  That was a railroad destination hotel at the turn of the century, offering cool, summer weather to the people to the East of Monterrey.  That's why the four railroad barons got together and hired Samuel Morse to build and develop Pebble Beach.
So the Old Del Monte golf course is a major part of the history of the area.

Rooms are still available at the Hotel if you have some sort of connection with the military at a dirt cheap price.  I stayed there a few days last summer, and needless to say it was cheaper to stay there three nights than it was to play one round at Pebble Beach!  The old hotel is  a pretty neat building, too.  

I did not play the  Del Monte Course, as it was underoging renovations at the time.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »

What other course in Monterey is it similar to?  Is it worth playing over Pacific Grove?

Pacific Grove's back nine is worth the price of admission. Del Monte is more open than most Monterey area courses(not many giant trees lining the fairways)  and only has views of the ociean from its highest points. It is shorter than most courses in the area but you can still hit your driver. It always is in great shape and the greens are usually very good, which you can't say about PG.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »
Just called Pebble Beach.  As an example, arriving Friday December 10th, playing Del Monte on the 11th and Pebble on the 12th:

For two players in one room, staying at the Inn at Spanish Bay, costs vary from $2095 to 2546, and the Lodge costs range from $2395 to 2992, depending on the room.  That is the total for both golfers green fees, room, and a $100 gift certificate for 2010 US Open merchandise that they could not sell.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 05:39:36 PM »
Ron--It's probably a better course than Pacific Grove, but the back nine at Pacific Grove is very good design.  Pacific Grove is cheaper, but is in less good shape.  You get what you pay for.  They are both fun in their own way.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 05:56:18 PM »
I suppose pristine lies, through the green, are now a necessity. Especially on links land. The double K throughout makes me question what others are calling poor conditions. Its a no brainer to me which is a better choice. But it boils down to cost and expectaions. PG is way more fun. Ask any of TOC caddies that participated in the International Caddie Cup ten years ago. 

Jim Eder

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »
I am in the camp of the others.  Del Monte is a nice, fun course that is worth playing if you have the chance. I wouldn't make a special trip for it though but it is a lot of fun. Pac Grove is a nice, good course as well. If one is "forced" to stay at the lodge for the one round at Pebble the other round would best be played at Spanish or Spyglass and then stay at the Hyatt and play Pac Grove and Old Del Monte. And if you can the excellent Monterey Peninsula CC Dunes and Shore are wonderful. And on the way back to the Bay Area stop by the wonderful Pasatiempo. There is also The Preserve that is private but I really enjoyed the golf course. The there are the courses at Fort Ord which are pretty good but I have not played them since they did some renovation or something. And just south of San Jose there is CordeValle that is a lot of fun and a pretty good course.

David Stamm

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 10:55:50 PM »
PG is the better course, but I like Del Monte as well and it's worth playing.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back