News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Sagebrush - Wow with a capital W
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »

Carl,

Yes, the pond is stocked with trout and it is quite a site to see bald eagles and osprey dive from the trees across the way, swoop over the water and grab a fish, all while you are sitting having a beer or fishing yourself. With no pace of play issues, you can stop, have liunch in the Hideout, try some fly fishing for a while and then continue on with your round. Many do just that.

Bob

Sounds great.  Too bad it's 3000 miles from me and closed when my course is closed!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »
From 10/1...looking for a snack...

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Robert Thompson

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 09:36:57 PM »
I beg to differ -- and I really, really like Sagebrush and have been one of its biggest backers. That said, I think any opening hole that runs straight up a hill is a bit off. I think you guys are giving it a pass without recognizing that even Rod thought it was best way out of a difficult routing.

I'm not saying it is hard -- just that with it running 50 or 60 feet uphill, it feels awkward to me all the way. I don't like the tee shot -- and yes, I don't think the road helps given the grading -- and I think it feels forced, which is basically what it is by Rod's own admission.

I don't think the first hole as a golf hole is weak...but I do think it's pretty damn tough to roll out of bed and hit that tee shot.

When considered as simply a par 5, not as "the first hole" I think it does a great job of challenging all three shots, and offering a reasonable chance at a birdie without being a pushover.

Difficulty-wise, I think that it would be the 2nd easiest par 5 out there except for its placement in the round, which causes me to slot it 3rd.  Ranked 16 - 14 - 1 - 7

Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2020, 01:30:29 PM »
It looks like Sagebrush may be coming back, after being closed for about five years.  We have heard this story before, hopefully it actually happens this time.

This is from the SCOREGolf website:

Sagebrush, the extremely well-received interior B.C. golf course founded and co-designed by Richard Zokol (along with Rod Whitman and Armen Suny), has a new owner with plans to reopen the club next year. Ranked 10th in the country in SCORE[/size]Golf[/color][/size]’s 2014 Top 100, the course has been closed for years and undergone multiple ownership changes and challenges. Suny is helping to get the course back in shape and Whitman has been contacted as well. Zokol is not involved.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]source:  [/color][/size][size=78%]https://scoregolf.com/blog/jason-logan/grading-pro-golfs-return/[/size]

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2020, 01:49:30 PM »
It looks like Sagebrush may be coming back, after being closed for about five years.  We have heard this story before, hopefully it actually happens this time.

This is from the SCOREGolf website:

Sagebrush, the extremely well-received interior B.C. golf course founded and co-designed by Richard Zokol (along with Rod Whitman and Armen Suny) has a new owner with plans to reopen the club next year. Ranked 10th in the country in SCOREGolf 2014 Top 100been closed for years and undergone multip’s has a as le ownership changes and challenges. Suny is helping to get the course back in shape and Whitman has been contacted as well. Zokol is not involved.
source:  [size=78%]https://scoregolf.com/blog/jason-logan/grading-pro-golfs-return/[/size]

To the other Peter P, does this have anything to do with your cross-country move? Suspicious timing :) :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 01:55:24 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2020, 02:40:57 PM »
Wayne, Pete

Yes, Sagebrush has been sold. I have been in touch with Dick Zokol and with the manager of the Douglas Lake Ranch (lessor of the golf course) and am aware of the new owners, who have been property developers in the Vancouver area as well as in the B.C. interior and Alberta. I have not posted the possible re-opening as I wanted to make sure this was not another false alarm. It looks as though it is going to happen which would make me incredibly happy.

I will try to get more of an update.

Peter Palotta, a young man from Oregon tells me you have moved to the Vancouver area. It would be great to get in touch.

Bob J

rjsimper

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2020, 08:10:40 PM »
Great to hear, will cross my fingers for all...still think back fondly to my visit there.

Ted Harris

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2020, 10:36:25 PM »
Wayne, Pete

Yes, Sagebrush has been sold. I have been in touch with Dick Zokol and with the manager of the Douglas Lake Ranch (lessor of the golf course) and am aware of the new owners, who have been property developers in the Vancouver area as well as in the B.C. interior and Alberta. I have not posted the possible re-opening as I wanted to make sure this was not another false alarm. It looks as though it is going to happen which would make me incredibly happy.

I will try to get more of an update.

Peter Palotta, a young man from Oregon tells me you have moved to the Vancouver area. It would be great to get in touch.

Bob J

Good news about Sagebrush - I have only played it twice but would love to play it more often especially if it became a resort course with public play. As of now Gamble Sands has been my go to course for firm and fast in the Pacific NW.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back