News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Sebonack - Underrated at #39 (GD)
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 11:41:26 PM »
I'm with you Ryan - Friar's Head.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 06:54:41 AM »
Tom may not want to comment on this, but I wonder how differently the course would have turned out, had he done the job solo.  Also curious if the owner has any plans to tweak the course more.

The photos look truly spectacular. 

Mike Cirba

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 07:01:48 AM »
Ryan,

I love Friar's Head but Sebonack is a better golf course IMO.

Blasphemy, I know, but my honest belief nevertheless.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 07:50:55 AM »
Cool that more than one person on this DG is suggesting that four courses that pretty much neighbor each other are in the nation's top 20. 

Another thread asks why CBM chose this plot of land for NGLA.  The fact that not one, but four world-class courses were built there, answers the question pretty well. 

Mike Cirba

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 08:19:50 AM »
Jim.

I think the other thread was asking why CBM didn't select the Sebonack site first, without dirctly asking that.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
Jim - I was suggesting on the other thread that CBM could have found a site similar to Sebonack or Friars Head where he would have been able to locate more holes onto waterfront property.

PCCraig

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 08:40:05 AM »
I've never been to Sebonack but I've had the really good "Building Sebonack" by Brad Klein in my golf library for a while now and every time I read it it reminds me to get out there soon as do the positive comments on this thread.
H.P.S.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »

The golf course was astonishing, a viscerally moving emotional experience, and I had tears in my eyes and chills down my spine at times during the day from the profoundness of the experience.

Funny. I thought you had a similar experience while playing the venerable Rolling Meadows in Ashland, PA.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2010, 08:58:02 AM »
Kyle,

Yes, I did, but for wholly different reasons!  ;)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 09:09:13 AM »
NGLA, Shinny, Sebonack, Friars Head in that order. All in my top 20. I have played 93 of the current GD list. Those 4 are certainly part of the elite.
Mr Hurricane

Adam Clayman

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »
Supposedly, A different investor was looking into the old estate Sebonack resides on. He had Tom Fazio look at it, and was told that he (TF) could not build a great course there.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Hendren

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »
Geoffrey (and perhaps Mr. Cirba as well), for Sebonack to move up somebody has to move down.  Which of the 38 courses ranked higher by Golf Digest would you bump?  Just for fun.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bruce Katona

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2010, 10:19:34 AM »
I looked at this site when it was for sale.  One of the most spectacular parcels I have ever seen.  Course ratings are what they are and anyone can opine on what is a fair number, given some basis for support.

What's significant are:
1. The design team is proud and satisfied of the end result.  All courses need tweaking...the older ones have been thru this phase already.
2. The Owner is happy with both his investment and the end result of the investment.
3. The members are happy.  They really count as they put their money where their mouth's are.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2010, 10:39:03 AM »
Michael Hendren,

I'd have to look at the most recent GD list, but I suspect my answer would be "a lot of them".

Mike Hendren

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2010, 10:40:16 AM »
Cirbro, get busy young man.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Greg Tallman

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »
Jaeger - the new green on 14 was grown in and rolled well.  There is talk they will soften that green a little which doesn't seem unreasonable but I rather like the green.  However, I was just over that green in 2 and walked away with a 6!

I thought the new green on 14 was a joke.  It was an ugly, distracting scar on what was an otherwise wonderful course.

Don't blame Tom Doak or Jack Nicklaus.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2010, 11:53:19 AM »
Jaeger - the new green on 14 was grown in and rolled well.  There is talk they will soften that green a little which doesn't seem unreasonable but I rather like the green.  However, I was just over that green in 2 and walked away with a 6!

I thought the new green on 14 was a joke.  It was an ugly, distracting scar on what was an otherwise wonderful course.

I wouldn't.  I thought 8 was a weak hole, but the other 18 are really good.  My favorites probably being 2, 11 & 12.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 12:11:08 PM »

I wouldn't.  I thought 8 was a weak hole, but the other 18 are really good.  My favorites probably being 2, 11 & 12.

Why would you not blame the course designers?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 12:23:44 PM »

That's not their green.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »

That's not their green.

;)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 10:11:37 PM »
Geoffrey / Mike:

How high do you see the course being ?

I too am a big fan -- I see the back-to-back par-4 holes at the 2nd and 3rd to be among the best I have played anywhere. Some have argued with me that the 2nd green is a bit too severe -- I say it's fine and puts a high premium on execution.

Curious to know your both comments on how you see the mid-positioned holes on the inner half -- after the par-3 12th -- some have said to me that is a weak (design wise stretch) element of the course. Also been mentioned how the par-3 8th -- with the pond seems out of place. I liked the hole and felt that comment too was a stretch.

Interesting to get your take on the 16th and the new tee position. The former one was a bit closer.

thanks,

p.s. how far behind do you both see Sebonack when held against the likes of NGLA, Shinnecock and maidstone ?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 11:18:51 PM »
Sebonack is a world class course in a world class neighborhood. Nothing has happened todate but wonderful maturing. I hope Jack does not monkey with the greens too much. I love the course just like it is.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
Would be interesting to note from those who have been to both courses, Sebonack or Friar's Head?

They are both very good courses but FH would probably get the nod for mine

MikeC or Geoffrey

Would be keen to hear what were your favourite inland holes at Sebonack ?

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 07:33:57 AM »
I've been fortunate to play both. I love FH but I'll take Sebonack anyday.
Be the ball

jeffwarne

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 07:56:38 AM »
Supposedly, A different investor was looking into the old estate Sebonack resides on. He had Tom Fazio look at it, and was told that he (TF) could not build a great course there.

He was right....
but there's a great course there now
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back