News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Taylor

Trip to Royal Portrush & Royal County Down..
« on: October 09, 2010, 05:06:52 PM »
Hello. First time poster. Excited to be part of Golf Club Atlas.

I will be headed over to Dublin from Frankfurt on Friday, Oct 29th. I will be in Germany for work from mid Oct - mid Nov. My german work colleagues are not golfers so I will be headed over alone.

I plan to play:
Portmarnock on Oct 30
Royal Portrush on Oct 31 @ 10:30 am
Royal County Down on Nov 1 @ 9:30 am

Anyone on the site interested in joining me?

I also plan to head over to Eng on Fri, Nov 5th to play Ganton & Woodhall Spa or Royal Liverpool and Royal Lytham.

Ryan
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Trip to Royal Portrush & Royal County Down..
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:04:21 AM »
Ryan:

Welcome to GCA.com. I would love to join you but I won't be around.

Are you planning to play on those dates or are they confirmed by the clubs? I'm just concerned about weekend access at Portmarnock and Portrush.

Jim Eder

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 11:24:21 AM »
I WISH I could join you. GREAT taste on courses. Have you played Ganton and Woodhall Spa before? Have you played Hoylake and Lytham before? If you need any help on deciding which to choose I am happy to help as much as I can.  Ganton is such a special course, great bunkering, great turf, history, fine members and Woodhall Spa is a delight as well with wonderful deep bunkers. Hoylake is running a special I believe and is an absolute treat and a fun challenge with many fine holes with great bunkering while Lytham is a very solid course with so much history and some great holes like 17. You really can't go wrong but it depends on what you are really looking for links vs a more parkland feel at Woodhall Spa and a links feel at Ganton. The bunkers are also different stacked vs non-stacked but splendid at all of them. Wow, I wish I could join you, you will have a wonderful time!!!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 12:31:45 PM »
Ryan,
Congratulations!  RCD is on my bucket list - please post back with your observations!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:48:51 PM »
Ryan

I'd be interested in joining you on either of those trips but being on the other side of the world doesn't help me  :)

I recommend you check out County Louth on your drive up from Portmarnock to Portrush.

I'd also do the Ganton & Woodhall Spa double over the Liverpool & Lytham courses. BTW - practice your bunker play before you go if you choose the former.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:55:27 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »
Woodhall Spa is a heathland not parkland course and by far the best value GB&I top 100 course to play
Cave Nil Vino

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:29:44 PM »
Donal,

Royal Portrush and RCD are confirmed. However, I just received notice that Portmarnock is carrying out course maintenance and cannot guarantee the Champtionship 18. (rotate: red/blue/yellow)

My purpose of the trip is to play Royal Portrush and RCD so I may drive up early and hit Portmarnock next time.

Kevin,

Thanks for the tip on County Louth. The course appears to be right off of M1 and is fairly priced.

I have a tough decision for Sat round. (Portmarnock (red/blue/yellow combo), County Louth or extra round at Royal Portrush 3 pm tee time)

Ryan
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:44:06 PM »
Jim, will be my first time playing any of the England courses. I did visit Lytham for the '01 Open. To be honest, I wanted to play the inland courses because of date/temp and save the others for another time. Woodhall Spa is just an appealing looking course and
appears to be a "fun" round of golf.

Ryan

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 10:41:49 PM »
Ryan

If Portmarnock is a non goer you could always consider The Valley course at Portrush ?

Woodhall Spa is just an appealing looking course and appears to be a "fun" round of golf.

I might consider using the word "test" to describe Woodhall Spa  ;)

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 10:48:40 PM »
RCD has a decent price on second rounds each day (althought not a steal by any means).  It might be worth trying to schedule a second late in the day just to get a second look at the front 9 (my favorite 9 in the world) in the setting sunlight.

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 10:49:31 PM »
Donal,

Royal Portrush and RCD are confirmed. However, I just received notice that Portmarnock is carrying out course maintenance and cannot guarantee the Champtionship 18. (rotate: red/blue/yellow)

My purpose of the trip is to play Royal Portrush and RCD so I may drive up early and hit Portmarnock next time.

Kevin,

Thanks for the tip on County Louth. The course appears to be right off of M1 and is fairly priced.

I have a tough decision for Sat round. (Portmarnock (red/blue/yellow combo), County Louth or extra round at Royal Portrush 3 pm tee time)

Ryan

Play County Louth on Friday, Portrush Valley in afternoon on Saturday
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 02:57:55 AM »
Donal,

Kevin,

Ryan

Ryan:

If you are not guaranteed to play the championship 18 at Portmarnock, I think the wisest decision is to play Co. Louth. It's also on your way north, so it'll cut short your drive to RCD.  Co. Louth is close to the M1, so very easy to get to.

Al White

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 04:10:57 AM »
Donal,

Kevin,

Ryan

Hey Ryan - the light is fading fast in this part of the world.  Come Oct 30th it'll be dark before 6pm so your 3pm tee time at Royal Portrush is no good. 

If you're on the North Coast play the Valley or Portstewart instead.  You're playing two very tough tracks in RCD and the Dunluce so it would be better to open up with a gentler challenge.

If you decide to play the Valley let me know - I'm pretty sure I could join you.

Jim Eder

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 10:27:02 AM »
Ryan,

Woodhall Spa is excellent and Ganton is a wonderful gem.  Your logic of selecting this area is very strong. I do not think you will be disappointed at all. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised by Ganton so I think you are making an excellent choice. On Ireland County Louth is a very fine course. I really enjoy Portstewart (Strand) as well, I would consider that also. You have an excellent trip planned here and will enjoy it tremendously!!

Jim

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »
Woodhall Spa is a heathland not parkland course and by far the best value GB&I top 100 course to play
Two questions:

are you remembering that Ryan probably won't benefit from the EGU member discount; and

have you ever played Silloth?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 10:49:23 AM »
If you're focusing on RP and RCD, why not fly to Belfast? 

Jim Eder

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 10:59:56 AM »
Ryan,

I forgot you are flying into Dublin. If changing the ticket is too much maybe think about playing Royal Dublin. I guess it depends on what time you get in etc but it is another option. Guys, what do you think? I have always enjoyed that golf course.

Jim

Carl Nichols

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 12:00:55 PM »
Jim:
If he's definitely flying into Dublin, I would play the Island before Royal Dublin, both because I preferred it and because it's closer to the airport/on the way north. 

Jim Eder

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 12:19:49 PM »
Carl, excellent point. The Island is absolutely wonderful and more convenient. The dunes are amazing, stunning place. Excellent advice. Do you prefer The Island to County Louth? I personally do but both are wonderful.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 12:45:49 PM »
All, thanks for all the pointed advice. There is a 1:50pm available at the Valley on Sat, Oct 30th. After considering the input, I think I will book this tee time on Sat. It allows me to drive north during daylight hours and gives me time to take in Royal Portush. Ryan

Al - If you decide to play the Valley let me know - I'm pretty sure I could join you.

Al, please feel free to join. I plan to reserve 1:30 pm tee time on Wed for the Valley. Care to join me on Sunday @ 10:30 am?

Carl - If you're focusing on RP and RCD, why not fly to Belfast? 

Carl, Frankfurt to Belfast was double the cost and Monday evening flight was not available. (I have a Monday am tee time at RCD)

Jim - If he's definitely flying into Dublin, I would play the Island before Royal Dublin, both because I preferred it and because it's closer to the airport/on the way north. 

Jim, I played Royal Dublin in 2001. I enjoyed the couse but have decided to drive north in the am on Sat.

Jim Eder

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »
Ryan, you will enjoy the Valley course. And very smart to drive during daylight hours!! Have a great time as I know you will!!!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
Ryan:
Sounds like a great trip.  Have fun!

Jim:
I only played 18 holes at the Island, and we were rushing to finish, so I'm not sure it's fair to compare it with the Island, where I played 45 holes (in incredible weather).  County Louth has some great par 3's (and a few other good holes), but generally seems more even, while the Island has both more great holes and more weak holes (with an incredible site).  County Louth was also in much better shape.  If given 10 rounds, I'd probably split them 5 and 5. 

Jim Eder

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 02:12:38 PM »
Thanks Carl. It is so hard to compare but I think you have done well in your response. Makes me want to take off next week and play them again and compare them again!!! Both are wonderful.

Have a great time Ryan!!

Al White

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 12:36:15 PM »
All, thanks for all the pointed advice. There is a 1:50pm available at the Valley on Sat, Oct 30th. After considering the input, I think I will book this tee time on Sat. It allows me to drive north during daylight hours and gives me time to take in Royal Portush. Ryan

Al - If you decide to play the Valley let me know - I'm pretty sure I could join you.

Al, please feel free to join. I plan to reserve 1:30 pm tee time on Wed for the Valley. Care to join me on Sunday @ 10:30 am?

Carl - If you're focusing on RP and RCD, why not fly to Belfast? 

Carl, Frankfurt to Belfast was double the cost and Monday evening flight was not available. (I have a Monday am tee time at RCD)

Jim - If he's definitely flying into Dublin, I would play the Island before Royal Dublin, both because I preferred it and because it's closer to the airport/on the way north. 

Jim, I played Royal Dublin in 2001. I enjoyed the couse but have decided to drive north in the am on Sat.

Hey Ryan - sorry about the late response.  I'd be delighted to join you on Sat 30th for the Valley - can't make the next day though.  Was going to send you my details via pm but don't see that option on GCA.  Do you know if it's possible?

SL_Solow

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
As another alternative, the front nine at Portstewart is world class.  After that eminently forgettable.  Might be the most schizophrenic course I have played.  But the front side is worth playing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back