News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Lewis

Seriously. They deserve this disaster for playing on some manufactured parkland course in a place with so much great Links golf.  Anybody play Royal Porthcawl today or know if its playable?

Jon Wiggett

Jeff,

it must. After all, Celtic M has been built to the top specs the USGA can supply and mother nature could never come close to competing with that ;)

Jon

Sean_A

Seriously. They deserve this disaster for playing on some manufactured parkland course in a place with so much great Links golf.  Anybody play Royal Porthcawl today or know if its playable?

Jeff

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Porthcawl had water issues today.  When the rain falls that hard for that long it takes time to drain.  However, with the crew at Celtic that could bail out bunkers and rubber the greens just ahead of play, once the rain eased I would bet the course could be ready very quickly.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adrian_Stiff

Jeff

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Porthcawl had water issues today.  When the rain falls that hard for that long it takes time to drain.  However, with the crew at Celtic that could bail out bunkers and rubber the greens just ahead of play, once the rain eased I would bet the course could be ready very quickly.

Ciao   
I am not sure, we are close to Celtic its rained non stop and have just kept going all day, bunkers have water in and we have puddles in the hollows on the fairways a lot have given up but you would still have played both rounds at our place.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Andrew Mitchell

From Twitter (I can't figure out how to post it so you get the "twitter" view etc)

@thomasdunne: Called the pro shop at #royalporthcawl. Played golf "continuously" there today. Course currently dry. Links golf 4EVA.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

George Freeman

Jeff

Ciao   
I am not sure, we are close to Celtic its rained non stop and have just kept going all day, bunkers have water in and we have puddles in the hollows on the fairways a lot have given up but you would still have played both rounds at our place.

Adrian,

I assume "our place" is Royal Porthcawl?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Adrian_Stiff

No we are about 20 miles East of Celtic Manor. The Players Club.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jeff_Lewis

Andrew,

Thank you for posting that tweet.  Made my day! :)

Tom Dunne

I swear, I didn't see this thread beforehand, I just happened to be wondering exactly the same thing as Jeff. Apparently Michael Bamberger was as well: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2022860,00.html

Jeff_Lewis

Great minds, Tom....

Garland Bayley

I swear, I didn't see this thread beforehand, I just happened to be wondering exactly the same thing as Jeff. Apparently Michael Bamberger was as well: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2022860,00.html

The was a blog article on Golf Digest . com yesterday that also noted that Porthcawl was playing all day.

Sean Arble, some links golf expert you are!  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back