News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: BUDA IX 2011 - Suggestions for next years venue
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 07:14:52 AM »
Ben - PM sent
Cave Nil Vino

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 07:23:39 AM »

MARK

FROM RALPH   ( WWW.ASKERNISHGOLFCLUB.COM)

TWICE DAILY FLIGHTS FROM GLASGOW TO BENBECULA.  WWW.FLYBE.COM

PACKAGES AVAILABLE FROM WWW.SCOTIATRAVEL.COM   AND   WWW.LOGANAIR.COM

USA AND EUROPEAN GOLFERS PLEASE VISIT          WWW.ADVENTURESINGOLF.COM

HOTELS
POLOCHAR INN
Polochar Inn, West Kilbride, Isle of South Uist
Tel: 01878 700215
Fax: 01878 700768
Email: polocharinn@aol.com
Web: www.polocharinn.com

BORRODALE HOTEL
Borrodale Hotel, Daliburgh West, Isle of South Uist
Tel: 01878 700444
Fax: 01878 700446
Email: reception@borrodalehotel.co.uk
Web: www.isleshotelgroup.co.uk

BED AND BREAKFASTS

REINEVAL BED AND BREAKFAST
6 Milton by Lochboisale, Isle of South Uist
Tel: 01878 710214, 07871818482
Email: reinevalhouse@tiscali.co.uk
Modern 3 star croft house with breathtaking views of the hills and a short walk to beautiful white sandy beaches.
Modern holiday caravan available this year in the same location, 6 minutes drive to Askernish Golf Course.
B&B rates from £25 pppn.
Caravan from £150 per week, though shorter stays are available.

ARD NA MARA BED AND BREAKFAST
Ard na Mara, Kilphedar, Isle of South Uist
Tel: 01878 700452
Email: rosemaryrobinson334@btinternet.com
1 Double en-suite £28 pppn
1 Twin en-suite £28 pppn
1 Double £25 pppn
1 Twin £25 pppn

More accommodation info on Askernish web site

Melvyn

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »
I like the idea of Askernish, perhaps coupled with a side of Glencruitten, for those coming by ferry from Oban.  I reckon it's probably even quirkier than Painswick...and that's no lie!

Brancaster/Hunstanton double bill also appeals.

I suggested Carne/Enniscrone at BUDA this year and as a member of Carne would be happy to organise if it finds favour.

Maybe Machrihanish/Machrihanish Dunes/Dunaverty is another potential venue.  Lots of accommodation and good deals available.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »
Where do I sign up for Hunstanton?

Royal Worlington would be a killer venue as well and likely no issues with week-end play at all. I found them to be an extremely welcoming club, if you approach them reasonably.

I'd prefer June to September, though, because of more daylight and the fact that in September the golfing calendar is usually fuller in most clubs.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 04:51:52 PM »
Ben,

Realistically (and I mean really, having spoken to them) is there any prospect of Brancaster giving us a dozen tee times am and pm?  It's a 2-ball course, isn't it?

There are a number of good ideas here but history suggests that BUDA goes where someone is willing to organise and actually does.  I suggest that we narrow down options to those where someone has connections and will organise and then take the discussion off-line between those.

I'm happy to look into a Silloth based BUDA.  I also second Chappers suggestion that BUDA should mostly stay in England and Wales and away from the well-trodden US golf tourist trail.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 05:07:41 PM »
Mark et al, I spoke to the secretary today who I know well and is very helpful. There is zero chance of getting 12 or so tee times, the only date he could offer in the usual BUDA time  span was the 15th for am and pm foursomes.
Cave Nil Vino

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 05:27:40 PM »

As for Askernish, I can't speak for Ralph Thompson their Chairman but Ralph is also a Member of this site and may if approached be will to help or assist.

Ralph could certainly suggest the best dates for South Uist trip and may even be persuaded to join in the event. One thing for certain you would all be made very welcome.

Melvyn

PS If you decide to go why not also have a Hickory event to add to the experience, you will not get a better chance to play traditional 19th Century Golf - question do you guys have the pace, can you rise to the challenge - just a thought.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »
Mark et al, I spoke to the secretary today who I know well and is very helpful. There is zero chance of getting 12 or so tee times, the only date he could offer in the usual BUDA time  span was the 15th for am and pm foursomes.

As mentioned above, that could be am singles, pm foursomes, or vice versa.  Brilliant!  I would personally love to see that part of England.

Craig Disher

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 08:07:50 PM »
I stayed with Peter a couple of nights before returning to the US this afternoon. We talked about last year's suggestion of Liphook/West Sussex and Peter called an old friend of his who is a past Captain and current Committee member at Liphook. His response was positive and we sent him an email outlining what our needs would be. I expect he may have already responded to Peter with an indication of how it would fit with their schedule. We suggested a mid-September date.

The positives -

1. We haven't held a Buda at a heathlands venue - here are 2 of them, both high quality and very close to each other.

http://www.westsussexgolf.co.uk/index.lasso?pg=f8f3cd1437797920
http://www.liphookgolfclub.com/index.lasso?pg=2e7d7d9c88ea4010

2. They are both close to Gatwick and Heathrow and there are plenty of accommodations nearby.

3. Probability of the best weather.

4. The food served at Liphook (we suggested a formal dinner there) is well regarded.

As with the other clubs mentioned, we would need to confirm fairly soon. At Liphook, they are already working on their 2011 list.

mike_malone

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 10:00:13 PM »
 Wow !   I just read Jim Finegan's take on Brancaster. This sounds very BUDAish to me.
AKA Mayday

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 01:31:10 AM »
Bill you joshing me?!

For clarity if GCA wants to go to Brancaster on 15th Sept alternate shot is the only option.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2010, 03:26:16 AM »

As mentioned above, that could be am singles, pm foursomes, or vice versa.  Brilliant!  I would personally love to see that part of England.
Bill,

Assuming an average sized BUDA (24 players, say) that would need 12 tee times for the singles.  Sadly (because Brancaster is a great place) that isn't going to happen.

It sounds a lot like Craig and Peter have a ball in motion.  Otherts should make enquiries and then we should compare notes but West Sussex/Liphook sounds like a runner to me.  One point, though.  Alwoodley is a heathland course!

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2010, 04:10:44 AM »

Bill,

Assuming an average sized BUDA (24 players, say) that would need 12 tee times for the singles.  Sadly (because Brancaster is a great place) that isn't going to happen.

It sounds a lot like Craig and Peter have a ball in motion.  Otherts should make enquiries and then we should compare notes but West Sussex/Liphook sounds like a runner to me.  One point, though.  Alwoodley is a heathland course!

Mark

Mark,

It would be a pity if we are not playing Brancaster because we only can play foursomes there. Its the perfect foursomes course we can play other formats at Hunstanton, Kings Lynn and Woodhall Spa or Royal Worlington. Brancaster is worth looking at from a golf course design perspective it is unique and has the best spike bar in the UK which would satisfy Bill  ;D.

Craig - as for Liphook and West Sussex BUDA could we add Hankley Common to the list?

Cheers
Ben

Mark Pearce

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 04:41:57 AM »
Ben,

Foursomes is a great format (and one sadly missing this year).  I question, though, whether there's the appetite amongst BUDAites for a day of foursomes on the only day we're visiting a course.

As to Hankley, if Craig and Peter are setting something up, I think we leave it to them.  BUDA has never (I believe) had more than 2 actual BUDA courses though there are always many add-ons (like the trips to B&B and Southerndown).  Hankley would be great for an add-on and anyone wanting to could take on the job of organising it.

Mark

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 04:50:20 AM »
Are Liphook and West Sussex close enough to each other...

If you go with this, please PM me... I have something to add regarding West Sussex...

Craig Disher

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 06:43:34 AM »
West Sussex is a little over 20 miles from Liphook - not ideal but not unreasonable. Hankley Common is about half that. The suggestion of West Sussex was based on reputation only - perhaps others have a more informed opinion. Would Hankley serve as a better second venue? No matter which we select, there are many opportunities for pre and post Buda events in the area.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »
Bill you joshing me?!

For clarity if GCA wants to go to Brancaster on 15th Sept alternate shot is the only option.

Sorry, but aren't they demanding TWO ball, which could well be singles and foursomes, same as at Deal?

*** EDIT:  Just saw Mark Pearce's post after making mine.  Thanks for the clarification.  I would play two rounds of foursomes in a day to see Brancaster.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:09:18 AM by Bill_McBride »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »
Bill,

For 24 golfers to play singles will require 12 tee times.  We won't get that.

Brancaster is lovely, though, and if we were to do, say a day at Royal Worlington and two at Hunstanton would be well worth a pre- or post- visit. 

I don't recall Hunstanton well enough to say whether it's worth two days of BUDA, though.  Nor have I any idea whether Royal Worlington would be any easier than Brancaster.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 10:21:05 AM »
Whatever you chaps decide will be fine with me.  I more or less agree with the concept of staying in England, although one thought is that it is ridiculously simple to book the New, Eden and Jubilee months in advance at St Andrews and lodging aplenty.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »
Bill,

But you don't get that cool "So What?" clueless look from the guys back home at your club if you tell them you're meeting a bunch of guys for golf in St. Andrews.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »
I'd liked Brancaster, but allowing only 4somes is a downer in my book. As I recall the golf at Hunstanton is very good (esp back 9), although the par5s were all quite dull I think

Mark Pearce

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2010, 11:20:34 AM »
My recollection (and it's years since I played Hunstanton) is of a fairly slow start but a very good back 9.  I have a very clear recollection of 18 but mostly because we played it in quite weird but spectacularly beautiful conditions.  A low mist but clear sky with a setting sun, showing shadows of the undulations (as setting sun does on any links) but with that weird mist on the ground.  Eirie but beautiful.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
I have just had an idea how we could overcome the tee issue problem at Brancaster.

How about splitting the group in half for example:

Ben Hogan group - consisting half of Americans and ROW
Byron Nelson group - consisting half of Americans and ROW
(had to come up with group names the alternative was Red and Blue)

In the morning the Ben Hogan group would play foursomes and the Byron Nelson group would play singles
In the afternoon it is the reverse. The players would be mixed up in each group.

This is a compromise reducing the number of tees to 9 tee times - Mark C would this be more acceptable?. This enables everyone to play Brancaster with their own ball as well as play foursomes.

Mark P - Hunstanton has great long par 4's, 3 really interesting par 5's and a great par 3 on the front nine. The back nine is over more interesting land. The closing holes are played back partly into the sun which gives those eerie shadows.

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:03:35 PM by Ben Stephens »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »
West Sussex is a wonderful course, though I would rather wait a couple of years for that one as I just played there last year and it's not far from last year's Buda site.  My hopes were for Silloth, but as I cannot contribute anything towards logistics I'll support whatever venue we end up with.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2010, 01:03:57 PM »
Bill,

But you don't get that cool "So What?" clueless look from the guys back home at your club if you tell them you're meeting a bunch of guys for golf in St. Andrews.

So What?  (Couldn't resist!)

I'm afraid I won't get back to Scotland if Buda stays in England forever!  Buda has become my primary excuse reason for traveling to the OK once a year........

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back