News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

favorite pond holes
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:47:36 AM »
The golf course pond has to be one of the most maligned features in golf design. 

Without harping on the ones we don't like, I think it would be interesting to see a collection of ponds, or more broadly,
the holes with ponds that we do like.

So show us (if you have pics), tell us where they are and why it is you like them.

I'll start:

I like the 4th at Heron Point on Hilton Head Island.

It's a Pete Dye design, and it is HHI, so you know going in there's going to be a par 3 or two with water somewhere on the golf course. I think Dye is a master of building quality par 3's with water hazards and I think he does it again here at Heron. It's a visual feast as well, as the spaced sleepers look really cool and different than the way in which I've seen him use them on other golf courses.

What I like about the pond is the way in which it is angled, almost linear, on a diagonal with the green, which creates the potential for some dramatic carries at varied distances (103 to 239!)...

...to many different and interesting pin positions.

Add a 10 foot gator and the School of Give Me Something is also represented nicely. ;)

Mac Plumart

Re: favorite pond holes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 12:51:59 PM »
Both of these are par 5's...the second one is actually a river carry...but nevertheless...

Shadow Creek 18

Achasta 6

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ian Andrew

Re: favorite pond holes New
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »
I missed the point of the thread.... ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:28:11 AM by Ian Andrew »

Adam Sherer

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 03:22:13 PM »
A really neat looking (and natural) par-3 pond hole........

http://www.hawkshawgolf.com/HSGCC_TPC_Boston_4.html
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 04:13:13 PM »
Eric, my favorite pond hole has got to be #6 at Berkshire Hills CC where I am superintendent because it did a great job holding my irrigation supply during this dry summer!
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 04:43:39 PM »
The par three 7th at Bro-Bĺlsta (Sweden)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »
Here is a view from behind and beside the green on a Pete Dye Cape hole par 5...

Okay...I suppose the argument can be made that I like par 5's with water/ponds on them.  Who knew?   :)

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »
Mac,
Most of the best "pond" holes that I've seen do tend to be on Pete Dye courses. Personally, I think #3, #5, #13, and possibly #18
are just as good or better holes than #17 at The Golf Club, although its certainly not bad.

You aren't a big fan of Sawgrass, but #4, 9, 11, 16, 17, and 18 are good holes that have ponds.  At The Honors Course, it might be more of a lake, but #9 and #15 are both excellent. Harbour Town and Long Cove both have a couple good ones, and #6 at Crooked Stick is a good par three as well.

In terms of other holes, I like #12 at Muirfield Village, #2 at Peachtree, #10 at Castle Pines, and quite a few holes at Victoria National. For a course in a fairly dry climate, I think the ponds at Paa-Ko Ridge on #9, 15, and 16 all work. I think they work better for having three of them--if they only had one I think the solo pond would come across as a bit strange.

The worst ponds tend to be on flat courses where it tends to be obvious that the pond was dug out (and usually the fill was placed to create mounding and/or build up tees). I think this is fairly understandable in Florida given the water table, but in the midwest it often looks artificial.

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »
 8) Without a doubt

from the regulars and the "over the hill, down to the right" original tee

beyond the dropshot nature, the long accurate carry necessary, the sloping tiered green, and the distracting background, its following the flight of the ball that starts the thrill..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tim Bert

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 08:08:28 PM »
The answer to all pond questions is the same as is it is to all drop shot par 3 questions.

Banff Springs #4 - Devils Cauldron

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »
 8) without a doubt!

ps tim, will you ever be back to the woodlands?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 09:09:22 PM »
My least favorite pond hole is #18 at Boyne...the Robert Trent Jones course.  The pond forces a shot in of at least 175 yards, although merciful Trent did position the green so that the approach is into the teeth of the wind, lengthening the carry.  Oh, wait, he did give the timid a half-bowling lane on the left to use as a bridge...it's so narrow I was afraid I'd miss it with my putter.

Two pond par three holes that Trent made at Crag Burn show the good and the bad.  The 5th is a fabulous, redanish (but not really) hole where a pond covers the entire left side and back.  A shot can come in from the right and never traverse water.  Therefore, one could putt the entire way.  Two holes later, number seven presents a shot completely over another pond, to a shallow green with a shaved front and a fierce set of bunkers in the back.  You must hit your number with your iron or you are either in the pond directly, in the pond due to a roll/bounce back, or in the back bunkers, facing a recovery toward the pond.

http://www.cragburn.com/course_map.htm
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 09:21:52 PM »
A couple that come to mind from recent play would be the 16th at Oakland Hills- derailed a solid round due to a heavy second shot that found said pond. The other pond that I like is found on the 14th at Butler. Forces you to shape your tee ball to leave a shorter approach. The pond fronting #10 at Chcago Golf is neat as well- shouldn't come into play but it often does.
            Jack

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 10:01:45 PM »
The sixth hole at Shinnecock has a pond, and I think it is one of the best holes on the course. It is certainly one of the hardest.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 01:09:40 AM »
Steve

Thats the first hole that popped into my head .

Andy Gray

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 02:20:21 AM »
I've never played it, but the 9th at Yale comes to mind. Also, is the body of water on the cape at Mid Ocean considered too large to be a pond?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 06:39:03 AM »
I've never played it, but the 9th at Yale comes to mind.

Was that pond man-made? 

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 07:38:01 AM »
#10 at Chicago Golf Club

#16 at Pinehurst No. 2

JC Jones

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 09:10:41 AM »
#15 at Seminole is a great pond hole.  The aggressive player can challenge the pond and be rewarded with going at the green in two.  The higher handicap player can play left without any fear of hitting the pond and be required to hit 2 good shots to get to the green.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Andy Gray

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »

Was that pond man-made? 

I wouldn't know the answer, but I assumed we could give examples of both naturally occurring and man made ponds.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 09:35:15 AM »
Since my original post I thought of two good par threes where the green jutted into a pond that was largely behind the green. The neat thing about both holes is that you still have to challenge the pond to get close to the pin, especially for back pin positions, but there's no forced carry so it really allows any player to hit the shot. The two holes that I've seen are Canyata #3 (IL) and Sultan's Run #12 (IN).

I also really like #16 at Black Rock, a double-dogleg par five around a pond. #12 at Creek Club at Reynolds Plantation is a similar hole, both by Jim Engh. I happen to like #11 at Black Rock, but more for the aesthetics than the strategy in that particular case.

I also like the 9th and 18th holes at Forest Highlands Canyon. The pond affects both holes, creating a tough par four in the ninth with the pond short and right of the green and a risk/reward 18th although I think most golfers will have to layup there.

Jay Cox

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 10:48:26 AM »
I believe that Griest Pond, the pond on the 9th hole at Yale, is natural.
In addition to the 9th, Yale's 1st, 3rd, and especially 4th are also excellent pond holes.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 11:15:04 AM »

Was that pond man-made? 

I wouldn't know the answer, but I assumed we could give examples of both naturally occurring and man made ponds.

Andy, I wasn't suggesting you couldn't.  Just curious.  Seems like I saw a photo of the hole in construction, without the pond. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back