News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Vegas public golf?
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:24:53 PM »
I have some friends going to Vegas in October looking for 'decent' public golf.....not $700 a round!!!!!! They are going to play a couple of rounds. Anybody any advice? Thank you in advance.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Nick Asbrock

Re: Vegas public golf?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »
drive about a hour north and play wolf creek

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
or south to play the Primm valley courses
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 04:08:54 PM »
Some courses may be closed for overseeding. Call in advance. Try golfnow.com for discounted tee times.

I played Lexington at Revere in January. A good value course. Pauite has 3 courses- Wolf is the pick there. I played Siena a few years ago and liked it.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 04:34:30 PM »
Dean:

If you head eat via I-15 go to Mesquite and nearby St. George -- your golf buck will certainly stretch there.

One round at Wolf Creek in Mesquite is certainly in order --- just hold onto your hats with this rollarcoaster layout.

If you need closer recommendations head to Boulder City and play the 27-hole Boulder Creek. Very nicely done and quite close to the action in town.

If you need another recommendation Steve S's is right -- Pauite is good -- the Wolf is fun to play -- just avoid PM times when THE WIND will really BLLLLLLLLLLLLOW !!!! ;D

Heading west -- go to Primm Valley --- good 36-hole layout and a bit more sensibly priced.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »
Paiute Wolf...totally fun golf!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Sev K-H Keil

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 06:08:37 PM »
Second Primm Valley. Excellent value, worth the drive

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 06:14:03 PM »
Paiute Wolf...totally fun golf!

three dye courses, good rates and packages online, all fun courses
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 06:41:43 PM »
My wife and I played Coral Canyon in St. George, Utah and hit Wolf Creek on the way back to Vegas, I think it's about a two hour drive, but we really enjoyed the course.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Ron Csigo

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 08:56:54 PM »
Primm Valley is worth the extra effort.  Play both courses if you can.  They dub the Lakes Course, "Baby Shadow Creek".  Also, check out Coyote Springs (Nicklaus) as well.  If you want to stay in close proximity to the Strip, then head to Paiute where you have your pick of three good Dye courses.

If you're gambling, make sure you stop in at the Hard Rock Hotel especially on a Friday or Saturday night.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 10:08:21 PM »
You aren't going to find many other GCAers that back me up, but if you play early in the day certain times in the year, Royal Links is around $100 or lower.

It's close to the Strip, decent, and engaging at times despite the silly Open Championship theme.  The only other one I've played is LV National, which is not good and in a tired part of town.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »
Here is the overseeding schedule:

http://www.lasvegasgolf.com/courses/overseeding-schedule.htm

It looks like Septemberr is the month for overseeding in LV.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 07:06:52 AM »
Laughlin Ranch GC is about 90 miles south of Vegas in Laughlin/Bullhead City.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 02:52:46 PM »
Derek:

I like LR but what kind of shape is it in ?

I've been there on two different occasions and it appears they are holding their head above water barely.

Curious to know -- the golf is quite fun to play in spot.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »
Who has played Bali Hai here?

I know its 300 bills but if your paying 15 for a mixed drink, whats 300 for golf on the strip? If it was 100 would people at least talk about it here?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »
Ryan:

Played it a few years back -- there are others well worth going to. For those who are chained to The Strip then a round there can work. Not for me though.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
Thank you all for your advice. Appreciated.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »
Matt,

Not sure what the condition is like there now.  I have not been there in quite a few years.  They were hit big time by the housing market crash.  I think the actual developement filed for bankruptcy a few years back.  Looked at their schedule and it says closed for overseeding 9/20 thru 10/08. 

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 05:25:37 PM »
The three Pauite are my favorite Vegas courses when you balance cost, travel time and the courses themselves. I enjoyed the Chase at Coyote, but its a further drive, more expensive and not better than Paiute, although the sceenery is cool as you are closer to the mountains. The courses in Primm are okay. If cost is a major factor Boulder Creek and Wildhorse are decent options.  The Falls and Reflection Bay were good choices but I believe remain closed due to Bankruptcy. If you can get on Dragon Ridge give that a try.

Here are pix of some of the Vegas courses.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/572988212ooOjZL  Paiute

http://sports.webshots.com/album/572996717coTLEe  The Chase

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557768692fBmMJz  Wolf Creek

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557826506HYlPLl  Primm - Lakes

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557831461nMfftu Primm - Desert, Dragon Ridge, Rever Lexington , Concord

http://sports.webshots.com/album/573009558riOOgH  - Aliante

Mark Arata

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »
royal links might be the worst course i have ever played in my life.......stay away!
primm is very nice, if you head up to mesquite there are some very good value courses in st. georges utah, and there is the oasis course, a palmer....was pretty nice as well.
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Matt_Ward

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 08:26:41 PM »
Be interesting to see how the PGA plans on making Chase at Coyote work given its location and the abysmal economy -- especially in the Vegas area.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 12:33:09 PM »
Who has played Bali Hai here?

I know its 300 bills but if your paying 15 for a mixed drink, whats 300 for golf on the strip? If it was 100 would people at least talk about it here?

I've played Bali Hai and quite enjoyed it.  There is a ton of water that comes into play and the whole experience is very Vegas; taking you to a 'fantasy' land for a short time.  The only thing that got old was the number of planes flying over.

Agree on Wolf Creek; a wild ride that is like no other course I've played - just flat out fun.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
royal links might be the worst course i have ever played in my life.......stay away!
primm is very nice, if you head up to mesquite there are some very good value courses in st. georges utah, and there is the oasis course, a palmer....was pretty nice as well.

The worst, really?  I'm not saying it's fantastic in any way, but the worst?  I played it last Feb, and the conditions were decent, there were a few fun holes, and it was close to the hotel.

Like Bill's comments above, Royal Links can work in the same way Bali Hai might, and it's half the price...

I know the original question doesn't involve choosing to go to Vegas for golf...but I look at it as a GCA wasteland.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jason McNamara

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »
A friend of mine who goes to Vegas pretty often has a rule of thumb:  don't play a Walters Golf course unless it's comped.  YMMV.

Ken Fry

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 07:58:25 AM »

Be interesting to see how the PGA plans on making Chase at Coyote work given its location and the abysmal economy -- especially in the Vegas area.

Matt,

The affiliation between the PGA and Coyote Springs ended earlier this year.  It was a very quiet announcement.  I've heard the course is quite nice but haven't heard much regarding the future of the overall project.

Ken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back