News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Re: Courses under Construction
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 03:39:43 PM »
Tom

I am finishing the grow in of a course I worked on with Lanny Wadkins in Lajitas Texas that finally finished grassing late this spring...Black Jack's Crossing.
Soft opening this Oct.

Forrest Fezler has re started building a Gary Player course in Greenville SC and is currently constructing the last 14 holes.

Johnny Miller is building a 9 hole course near Bozeman MT...one that I lost when it came down to the final two.  :(
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
Oh, Dave Dale and Kevin Ramsey of Golfplan are building a course on reclaimed land just outside Saigon... and our own Tim Nugent is currently in Espoo, Finland, constructing Tapiola GC, a course that has been in planning for more than ten years!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »
Gary Player doing one in LaPaz, Mexico (Costa Baja)
Pete Dye slowing rolling into one an hour north of Cabo at Cabo Riviera (may have moved some dirt but certainly not full force as yet)

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
Trump Scotland, of course!

Nicklaus' course at Ferry Point in Manhattan.

And I understand that construction has restarted on Gary Player's course at The Cliffs in South Carolina after an eighteen month layoff.

Olivion in Turkey, which is an EGD project branded as an Annika signature design, will break ground in the new year. EGD architect Stan Eby is in charge.

At Sanyosoo in Korea, Hills/Forrest are in construction on the first of three planned courses.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:59:14 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Greg Tallman

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 03:54:27 PM »
Trump Scotland, of course!

Nicklaus' course at Ferry Point in Manhattan.

And I understand that construction has restarted on Gary Player's course at The Cliffs in South Carolina after an eighteen month layoff.

Olivion in Turkey, which is an EGD project branded as an Annika signature design, will break ground in the new year. EGD architect Stan Eby is in charge.

Interesting you put Trump and Ferry Pointy is succession as Trump has been retained as the operator of Ferry Point... is Trump National Ferry point far behind?

TNFP - Course Designers: Jack Nicklaus and Dnald J. Trump  ;)... Losing to West Virginia and having to deal with the Donald poor Jim Lipe.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 04:03:48 PM »
Summit Rock is a Nicklaus project in Texas that went bust a couple of years ago; new owners restarted construction work earlier this year.

RTJ2 has courses under construction as part of the Costa Navarino development in Greece, and on Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 04:08:56 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 04:22:48 PM »
I flew over Ferry Point the other day ... looks like there has been a bit of movement, but certainly wasn't moving full speed ahead.  I guess it's a bit late in the year to be in a rush to grass anything, anyway.

Mike_Young

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »
Let's define what we are calling under construction because we have a couple in Latin America that the owner calls under construction but reality is they are moving very slowly and spending minimum just so they can tell lot owners and others that it is being built...from what I know of a few of these other projects mentioned..they are in the same boat...I don't call it under construction unless they have the money to finish it in hand and have a realistic idea of when it can open....otherwise we are about to see a couple of years with a lot of "under construction BS" flying.... ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 04:40:41 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »
Frank O'Dowd of Intergolf has been posting a lot of photos of the Ferry Point construction on Facebook. No grass yet, but plenty of construction activity.
Adam Lawrence

Greg Tallman

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »
I flew over Ferry Point the other day ... looks like there has been a bit of movement, but certainly wasn't moving full speed ahead.  I guess it's a bit late in the year to be in a rush to grass anything, anyway.

As I understand it is full speed ahead but mired in governmental and procedural red tape so thick that in the field tweaks bring the project to a screaching halt with change orders, new plans and anything else you can imagine to slow a project. While I am sure Jim will not elaborate on this site I will just say that he is rathr frutsrated with the "process" and believes it will be mid 2012 before they finish the course, not because of delays created by the economy but rather the red tape.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »
Korea is full speed ahead right now.  In the Chungcheon (1 hr N/E of Seoul) area there are 10 courses under construction.  There is a JN, Hurzden/Fry, Art Hills, and Ted Robinson II to name a few.  I think in all of Korea there are close to 30 projects currently under construction.  The project I am on now finishes up this month (if it will ever stop raining) and I head to an new 18 hole course a in a nother part of the country in Nov.  All kinds of work on planned here for the next 5 years. 

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
We've started our project in Florida, with another band of famed minimalists working alongside.  That and a couple of renovations are all we've had this year, and we are grateful for each of them.

I'm going to keep a running total here, since this is of interest to me.

Under Construction - USA (5) - Kearney NE (Engh), Florida (Doak), Florida (Coore), Shelton WA (Bates), southern Arkansas (K. Dye)

Under Construction - Overseas - Nova Scotia, Canada (Whitman), Newcastle, England (Turner/Macpherson), Hainan China (Coore), Hainan China (Curley / Schmidt) x 5

Tom,

We have finished grassing 9/10 courses at Mission Hills.... 2 Projects in Mexico, 1 With Faldo. 1 in Egypt with Faldo. Our 3 course project in Kunming, China has finished..... thats just a brief list, really a bunch of stuff in China, some are moving, a lot are held up or just slowly sorting out their issues. Still, Brian and Lee have plenty of time to get around every month. Brian just finished an interview with Ran for GCA, should be posted soon...

Also, you guys might want to check out Jack's website. Tons of information and photos about where they are working.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »

Tom - I left you a message today at the office.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 06:59:08 PM »
They can't go any farther on Ferry Point because there is one guy with a house in the middle of the property who won't sell...oh, wait, that's Scotland.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 07:11:14 PM »

As I understand it is full speed ahead but mired in governmental and procedural red tape so thick that in the field tweaks bring the project to a screaching halt with change orders, new plans and anything else you can imagine to slow a project. While I am sure Jim will not elaborate on this site I will just say that he is rathr frutsrated with the "process" and believes it will be mid 2012 before they finish the course, not because of delays created by the economy but rather the red tape.

Greg:

If that is your definition of "full speed ahead" then I guess Ferry Point is full speed ahead !?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »

As I understand it is full speed ahead but mired in governmental and procedural red tape so thick that in the field tweaks bring the project to a screaching halt with change orders, new plans and anything else you can imagine to slow a project. While I am sure Jim eauwill not elaborate on this site I will just say that he is rathr frutsrated with the "process" and believes it will be mid 2012 before they finish the course, not because of delays created by the economy but rather the red tape.

Greg:

If that is your definition of "full speed ahead" then I guess Ferry Point is full speed ahead !?

Tom, Just clarifying that the only thing holding up the project is the governmental and union BS rather than funding. Full speed ahead is far diferent when working for a Miek Keiser versus working for the city of New York. If you want a good laugh and have an hour to spare sometime give Jim a call and ask him how it's going up there. 

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 07:38:29 PM »
Westham Golf Club, by Nicklaus Design, here in the Richmond, VA area has been in the works as part of a large development for awhile.  The original developer went under but some homes are being built and 9 holes finally opened this summer.  The second 9 is apparently being worked and scheduled for 2011 or 2012.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »
We've started our project in Florida, with another band of famed minimalists working alongside.  That and a couple of renovations are all we've had this year, and we are grateful for each of them.

I'm going to keep a running total here, since this is of interest to me.

Under Construction - USA (5) - Kearney NE (Engh), Florida (Doak), Florida (Coore), Shelton WA (Bates), southern Arkansas (K. Dye)

Under Construction - Overseas - Nova Scotia, Canada (Whitman), Newcastle, England (Turner/Macpherson), Hainan China (Coore), Hainan China (Curley / Schmidt) x 5

Tom,

We have finished grassing 9/10 courses at Mission Hills.... 2 Projects in Mexico, 1 With Faldo. 1 in Egypt with Faldo. Our 3 course project in Kunming, China has finished..... thats just a brief list, really a bunch of stuff in China, some are moving, a lot are held up or just slowly sorting out their issues. Still, Brian and Lee have plenty of time to get around every month. Brian just finished an interview with Ran for GCA, should be posted soon...

Also, you guys might want to check out Jack's website. Tons of information and photos about where they are working.

Ryan, Where are you courses in Mexico?

Trey Stiles

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »
Old American Golf Club @ The Colony , Tx is in the soft opening phase.

I played it last week and it was Outstanding ... Tripp Davis / Justin Leonard interpretation of Classic Early American architecture :
- routing around lake lewisville , many holes with views
- great angles requiring solid decision making before the tee shot & approach
- bold grassing plan featuring a coarse zoysia selection around bunkers and selected greens complex areas
- numerous bunker complexes ... all playing thru the green
- raised greens complexes with numerous run out areas / chipping areas
- Greens feature multiple sections with never an ez 2 putt from the wrong section

Dinner is ready , got to run

Old American makes my new Top 10 list ... Tripp & Team should be very proud of their work

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 11:41:39 PM »
As far as I am aware (I could be wrong) but I believe there are a few construction projects in Aust. at the moment

Stonecutters Ridge (NSW) - Harrison
The Dunes Port Hughes (SA) - GNGCD
Bingara Gorge (NSW) - Marsh
Kalgoorlie (WA) - Marsh

I believe Thomson and Perrett may be involved in a couple as well ?

Mark_F

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2010, 05:39:38 AM »

Hopefully the Fingal course at St Andrews Beach isn't one of them, Kevin.

Doak opined that he is doing a course with Clayton - maybe they are the ones who have bought into the place.  It might be the only way they get paid.  :)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2010, 06:20:05 AM »
Nicklaus Design have just started the renovation of Ullna Golfklubb just outside Stockholm, Sweden. They are starting with the driving range and will begin the renovation of the course in July 2011 with completion date sometime in the Spring of 2013,

Here's the blogg (in Swedish) with some pictures,

http://uppgradering.ullnagolf.se/

Greg Cameron

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2010, 11:46:59 AM »
Bob, Here in Vancouver we are currently rebuilding Twassen Golf and Country club as well as a new 18 hole public in Aldergrove.2012 openings.....Greg

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2010, 07:53:05 PM »

Hopefully the Fingal course at St Andrews Beach isn't one of them, Kevin.

Doak opined that he is doing a course with Clayton - maybe they are the ones who have bought into the place.  It might be the only way they get paid.  :)

Mark

The rumour mill is open isn't it on what's going on down there. Though hasn't a sale of some land put a twist on things per se ?

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »
Only one in Calgary on the go... Blue Devil, Gary Browning is doing it, Stewart Creek in Canmore would be his most well known course. Looks like it will open sometime next year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back