News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Re: Who ACTUALLY Designed National Golf Links of America?
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »
Tom,

Thank you for your nice wishes, but I think this is far too important not to discuss. Please feel free to not join in as you believe it a waste of time. As I've asked Tom Macwood and David to stop the insults I also ask you to refrain from even small ones such as you just posted, "they'll just continue to evade and deflect anyone on it in any way they can. Just look at Moriarty's posts today on this thread----they're no different than any other of his on this kind of subject---eg a total deflection and waste to time for anyone involved with them."

If you really believe it is a waste of time for anyone to be involved with them then show it by stopping your involvement. Please feel free to comment but as I told them, no insults for a change.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2010, 05:51:08 PM »
Tom, Read the article again. It clearly states that the four of them were appointed to the committee and that the committee had the responsibility to lay out the course and choose the holes... the COMMITTEE!

It does not say that CB Macdonald will be designing the course with the ASSISTANCE of EMMET, Travis and Whigham; no the article states that they formed a committee. It doesn't even name the head of the committee. That is why it must be taken to mean equally on its face.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »
Bill made a comment that, from what I know, has absolutely no basis in reality:  That CBM would never have given credit to anyone but himself for NGLA.

So far as I know this is ridiculous.  But it is the impression that anyone reading this board over the past decade would come away with.  So obviously, we cannot have an honest conversation about who CBM was and what he did without addressing the bogus legends that some here have worked so hard to create.  

As you know, certain posters and past posters have long been maligning the man with all sorts of bogus stories and legends without providing any support whatsoever for their ceaseless character assassinations.  And as you know they used to openly write about how they literally pissed on CBM's grave and on Raynor's grave, as well.

Whether they actually did this or not, I don't know.  They now deny it.  But so far as I am concerned it doesn't matter. Either way, their little joke is an accurate reflection of the disrespect they have consistently shown for these men.   And it is their little joke, not mine.

My opinion that CBM would not want to share credit as the creator and progenitor of NGLA is based on my reading Scotland's Gift several times.  His autobiography reads, to me, as that of a man of giant ego who I am convinced felt he was personally responsible for the growth into early maturity of American golf.  He may have praised the associates and employees who assisted him in the acquisition of the site and the physical laying out of the holes, but I think it is fair to say he found the site and personally oversaw the laying out of the course to incorporate the essential elements of the holes he admired and chose from his trips to the UK.

Since neither of us has ever spent a moment talking to the man, I don't know how you can refute my assertion other by saying "you're wrong, I'm right," and refer to my opinion as "ridiculous."   Thanks for that gratuitous insult.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:13:52 PM by Bill_McBride »

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2010, 06:45:19 PM »
Tom, Read the article again. It clearly states that the four of them were appointed to the committee and that the committee had the responsibility to lay out the course and choose the holes... the COMMITTEE!

It does not say that CB Macdonald will be designing the course with the ASSISTANCE of EMMET, Travis and Whigham; no the article states that they formed a committee. It doesn't even name the head of the committee. That is why it must be taken to mean equally on its face.

Are there any other documents that corroborate the first?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

TEPaul

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2010, 07:04:46 PM »
"Tom, Read the article again. It clearly states that the four of them were appointed to the committee and that the committee had the responsibility to lay out the course and choose the holes... the COMMITTEE!"

Phil:

I saw that when I first read it and when I read it again. What I did not see in that article was the word "equally" and certainly not in capitals that you put in your post I mentioned. In my opinion, I don't think you should have put that word in there as that was YOUR construct and not that article's.

But beyond that I'm not that sure if the purpose of this thread really is about what actually went on with NGLA and Macdonald and its committee to do the course because if you read his own book he tells a fairly different story about that so-called committee, who was involved at particular times and who wasn't than that article does which was very early in the project, apparently before it actually began. So it seems that article talked more about what they intended to do and not what they had done because it was printed before they did it all.

Timelining, Phil, timelining----we historical analysts can never forget the importance of timeling and its necessity for historical accuracy!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:17:46 PM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »
Philip Young,

Have you read "Scotland's Gift" which includes CBM's description as to how NGLA came into existance ?

TEPaul

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »
Pat:

I think I've read that book a hundred times. It's right next to me and taped inside the cover is your nice letter that came with it when you gave it to me. It's dated October 30, 2002!

Time flies, huh?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »
David M,
Regarding your post 36: "...  I never told Merion how they should credit their course... 

--------------
Sir, to quote from your Missing Faces essay:  
"While Hugh I. Wilson is credited with designing the great Merion East course that opened in 1912, he did not plan the original layout or conceive of the holes.....   While my research is in the early stages, my preliminary view is that many of the original holes at Merion East were based upon the conceptual underpinnings of the great holes, as understood by Macdonald and Whigham.""

--------------
I respectfully submit that the quoted section of the essay may be seen as an attempt to tell Merion how to credit their course.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:24:52 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »
Phil,

There isn't any way to consistently approach attribution, each 'case' presents something different and you know that. It's the overall weighting of the broadest amount of information that reveals the best possible answer to the question. In your example you chose one article and, as Jay pointed out, proper emphasis is important. No one (at least not me) is disputing what it said, and Macdonald writes about the men who helped him in his autobiography, but making a judgement based on one lone article that was never hidden from the historical record is absurd, and not the work of someone who wants to know the whole story, and the story of NGLA is not the same story as North Shore.

And you are forgetting that CBM wasn't a milquetoast who let others make decisions for him. It seems to me that he was willing to listen to ideas and argue them, but he doesn't seem to be the type of guy who would proceed in a fashion other than the one he decided was the best. The path to NGLA was surely 'his'.

Niall,
No.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2010, 07:32:49 PM »
Jim K,
I like what you posted...

Taking your thinking to another place, would it be fair to say the same thing about Wilson at Merion East as you're saying about CBM at NGLA?

Or, in today's world...  My next door neighbor club, Stonewall, was designed by Doak.  But they used a lot of the routing from Fazio.  Surely Stonewall is not a Fazio design, is it?

(To quote from Stonewall's website, "The golf courses, both designed by Tom Doak and his company Renaissance Golf, compliment each other in a way whereby each offers a different approach to the game. The Old Course, with more demanding shot values on driving accuracy and distance, compliments the North Course, which requires a more exacting short game"      Not a mention of Fazio.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:34:29 PM by Dan Herrmann »

TEPaul

« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2010, 07:34:55 PM »
Good for you Dan! I'm beginning to wonder where the line is with David Moriarty between deception, evasion and lying. So I'm glad you quoted that part of his essay next to your quote from him today. I'm also beginning to wonder if this website and its administrators really want someone on here with an MO like his.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2010, 07:51:13 PM »

And you are forgetting that CBM wasn't a milquetoast who let others make decisions for him. It seems to me that he was willing to listen to ideas and argue them, but he doesn't seem to be the type of guy who would proceed in a fashion other than the one he decided was the best. The path to NGLA was surely 'his'.

Jim, we are on the same wavelength with regard to Macdonald and his personality.  I could see him forming a committee just to show how  egalitarian he was.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:12:55 PM by Bill_McBride »

TEPaul

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »
Jim K:

I like what you posted too. It's extremely sensible and common-sensical.

Macdonald apparently really was a man with a big ego, some truly high hopes and opinions for a number of things with golf, and a very willful personality. But what truly fascinates me about him is I really do believe I can read between the lines of most everythng he wrote and said and did in golf, as well as supplementing it with some people over my life who really knew him!

The thing that ultimately fascinates me about C.B. is that he could come down hard on just about anyone and everyone and with all kinds of issues he felt strongly about but there was a group in his world, probably a small group, perhaps not much more than about a half dozen or a dozen over his life and times in golf that HE WELL KNEW he may be able to "Hold 'em" (IT) with for a while but that the time might come when he might have to "fold 'em" (IT) with them!

I just detect a remarkable sense in him that way and I would be glad to even provide a few examples of when and with whom he "folded 'em" (IT) with and particularly how.

There is no question in my mind The Creek Club was one of those times and places, and it was sort of late in the game for him and ironically it was what finally seemed to get him to cut outta town and hie on out to Bermuda to his cottage to write the book that we all know and refer to on here so often known as "Scotland's Gift Golf," his autobiography IN GOLF, not just in golf course architecture.

To me the most telling parts of his autobiography are not the parts about architecture or his personal golf; it's the rather comprehensive parts about the USGA and his roll in that and particularly his opinions about that aspect!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:59:20 PM by TEPaul »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2010, 07:54:45 PM »
Dan,
I don't think Hugh Wilson was as much of a driving force at Merion in the same way that Macdonald was at NGLA. In the same breath, I don't think it's necessary for them to change their scorecard.  ;)

At my home course Raynor wrote over the same basic property as Pryde but he reversed the flow and created a completely new set of greens and problems. Raynor may have left one of Pryde's greens, but thankfully George Bahto replaced it with one that truly fit the Raynor mold. It is now one of our favorites.

We don't mention Pryde on the scorecard, but we all know that he was here.

As for the article Phil posted, it's more about the preamble to NGLA than anything else. How Macdonald proceeded from it to construction is clearly written in chapters 9 & 10, respectively
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2010, 07:57:25 PM »
Jim,
Your point is very well made.  Thanks.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
Pat:

I think I've read that book a hundred times. It's right next to me and taped inside the cover is your nice letter that came with it when you gave it to me. It's dated October 30, 2002!

Time flies, huh?

Eight years.
It's hard to believe how much has happened over the last eight years and how quickly it's gone by.

The difference between documenting the origins of Merion versus NGLA is that the guiding force behind NGLA left a tome detailing its origins, creation and construction.  No one at Merion did the same.

In his own words, CBM describes NGLA from concept to finished product.

No comparable work exists at Merion.

It's hard to dismiss the documented history of NGLA especially when the moving/guiding force behind its creation goes into great detail describing almost every aspect of NGLA from pre-formation through opening day and beyond. 

Steve Burrows

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2010, 10:23:40 PM »
How is it, exactly, that an autobiography can be relied on as purely factual?  In a similar manner as the article originally posted by Mike Cirba in the other thread was called into question by Jay Flemma and others, how can we be sure that an author (in this case, Macdonald) is telling the story exactly as it happened, free of passion or prejudice?  Given the passage of time between the conception of the golf course, its construction, and the subsequent authorship and publication of the book (Scotland's Gift), could anyone, even Macdonald, be trusted to tell a completely accurate story?  Particularly one about their self?
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

JC Jones

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2010, 10:26:53 PM »
How is it, exactly, that an autobiography can be relied on as purely factual?  In a similar manner as the article originally posted by Mike Cirba in the other thread was called into question by Jay Flemma and others, how can we be sure that an author (in this case, Macdonald) is telling the story exactly as it happened, free of passion or prejudice?  Given the passage of time between the conception of the golf course, its construction, and the subsequent authorship and publication of the book (Scotland's Gift), could anyone, even Macdonald, be trusted to tell a completely accurate story?  Particularly one about their self?

As with anything, it can be relied on if it supports whatever one is trying to argue.  Scotland's Gift does is NOT exclusionary with respect to who may have helped CBM design NGLA but that does not bother Pat Mucci.  On another thread, however, Pat Mucci claims that because a particular club's history is not exclusionary, that there remains the possibility that something happened other than what they said.

Credibility is, as everything else is, in the eye of the beholder.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »
How is it, exactly, that an autobiography can be relied on as purely factual?  In a similar manner as the article originally posted by Mike Cirba in the other thread was called into question by Jay Flemma and others, how can we be sure that an author (in this case, Macdonald) is telling the story exactly as it happened, free of passion or prejudice?  Given the passage of time between the conception of the golf course, its construction, and the subsequent authorship and publication of the book (Scotland's Gift), could anyone, even Macdonald, be trusted to tell a completely accurate story?  Particularly one about their self?

Steve,

Thanks, I was going to say the same thing but thought I'd just get dragged down into the old arguments about being biased.

I do think that Emmet and Travis had more to do with the original course at NGLA than they were given credit for, either by history or by Macdonald.

I do think CBM was the driving force, and the guy who had the dream, but I also think that both of those men had much more actual design and agronomy experience than CBM at the time (1906-1910) and I'm sure their experience and similar bent in terms of what constituted excellent architecture and ideal golf holes helped shape the discussions, the planning, and the ultimate outcome, at least in terms of the initial course that opened for play in Fall, 1910.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »

As with anything, it can be relied on if it supports whatever one is trying to argue. 

Scotland's Gift does is NOT exclusionary with respect to who may have helped CBM design NGLA but that does not bother Pat Mucci. 

In addition to flaws in your logic and reading comprehension skills, your ability to structure thought and sentences needs improvement.

The CREATOR of NGLA in his personal account mentions those who helped him.

Your idiotic exclusionary conclusion regarding Belvedere Golf Club is based/drawn solely from a single sentence from a club history written 44 years after the club opened by someone NOT involved in the creation of the club.   In addition, we've seen error after error in almost every club history, especially those written long after the club has opened, as in your case.

On another thread, however, Pat Mucci claims that because a particular club's history is not exclusionary, that there remains the possibility that something happened other than what they said.

That's just another convoluted and erroneous conclusion on your part.

The sum total of your reliance is but one sentence in the club history, written 44 years after the fact, by someone NOT invovled in the creation of the club, mentions that men and horses were used.

That one sentence doesn't preclude the use of mechanized equipment during the clearing and construction process.

You'd have to be a moron to draw the conclusion that because a single sentence in a club history, written 44 years after the fact, by someone not involved in the construction, mentions that 115 men and 5 horse teams were used that therefore, no mechanized equipment was used.

And, if you can't distinguish the difference between a club history, written by a Johnny come lately not involved in the project, 44 years after the fact and CBM's personal account, then there's no sense in discussing or debating the issues with you because you're beyond obtuse.

It shouldn't be unnoticed that you deliberately dragged me into this thread

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2010, 11:30:52 PM »

How is it, exactly, that an autobiography can be relied on as purely factual? 

"Scotland's Gift" is not an autobiography.
What gave you the notion that it was ?
It would seem as though you haven't read the book.  Have you ?

I don't know that you can rely on any book or written account as "purely factual"

But absent refuting evidence, don't you have to accept the account of the person who did the work ?

If Tom Doak wrote a book on Pacific Dunes or Ballyneal or Sebonack, would you present the same argument ?

In a similar manner as the article originally posted by Mike Cirba in the other thread was called into question by Jay Flemma and others, how can we be sure that an author (in this case, Macdonald) is telling the story exactly as it happened, free of passion or prejudice? 

I don't think you can.
But, what's the margin of error/difference between the account and the "pure facts" ?
Is it substantive or de minimus ?
Inherently, I think you have to grant the author some leeway absent facts refuting the account.

Given the passage of time between the conception of the golf course, its construction, and the subsequent authorship and publication of the book (Scotland's Gift), could anyone, even Macdonald, be trusted to tell a completely accurate story? 

Yes, I believe he can be trusted to tell an accurate story.
"Scotland's Gift" was written in 1928, roughly 19 years after NGLA came into existance..
In 1991 I was involved in a substantive project and I believe that my memory together with my notes, documents, accounting and field records enables me to accurately detail the chain of events that occured in 1991.

Now, if 44 years went by, and a stranger not involved in a project made definitive statements, I think you'd have to challenge them on principle. ;D

Particularly one about their self?

Woud you tell me how and where CBM did that in "Scotland's Gift" ?

DMoriarty

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2010, 01:31:52 AM »
David,

You stated, "I've never been concerned with "credit,"  only with WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED.  That you cannot comprehend that these are not the same thing doesn't surprise me."

I'm sorry, but that makes two of us because they sure do the seem the same to me. In defining what "ACTUALLY HAPPENED" you are by definition giving CREDIT to those who ACTUALLY did the things you are talking about. If CBM laid out and routed Merion you are CREDITING him with the design. Based upon that, are you willing to give equal credit for the layout and design of NGLA to Emmet, Travis and Whigham since it is quite clear that it was a 4-person "committee" who were both given the responsibility for doing it and who planned to spend the 5 months following routing the course and picking out the holes?

Phillip,   They aren't the same thing at all.  
1.  Crediting one or a few for creating a course is obviously very political, and the credit will rarely be an accurate and complete reflection on what actually happened.  Judging how clubs seem to latch on to these legends it seems that it has much more to do with the club's own self-perception than it does about what actually happened.  None of that should be a concern when figuring out what happened.
2. While it is rarely defined, "credit" is necessarily definitional. And unfortunately there is no agreed upon definition of who should get credit.   So unless and until we can agree on some methodology of who gets credit, it seems a pointless discussion to me. In contrast, figuring out who did what is largely descriptive and analytical, not definitional.
3. However one chooses to define credit, no doubt the definition will vastly oversimplify what actually happened, just as your attempted analogy oversimplifies both what happened at NGLA and Merion.  That is what givng credit does, it simplifies, summarizes, and reduces what actually happened into a few words which fit nicely on a scorecard.  In contrast,  figuring out what happened expands our knowledge by unwrapping the neatly packaged legends in order to obtain a deeper less cliched understanding.

-- Take your answer to JC Jones' hypothetical.  You assume "they both did equal things" in routing the course, but just because they were both involved doesn't mean they did equal things.  You also assume that building would include changes to the plan.  We don't know that either.   So far as we know, in this hypothetical Emmett might have merely walked around listening to CBM and writing down everything he said regarding the layout, and that every single idea was CBM's, and that Emmet's role amounted to nothing more than building it exactly as CBM told it to. I'd be more interested in what actually happened out there than coming to some oversimplified conclusion based on who spent more days on the project.

Plus, I doubt his could possibly your standard for credit.  Should we take away MacKenzie's credit at a whole slew of courses, including his Australian courses? Just because his involvement was limited in time?   How about with Tillinghast?   If Tillinghast, accompanied by a chair of a greens committee, spent two days planning and laying out a course, and then the chair of the greens committee actually built the course to his plan, would you honestly not give Tillinghast any credit for the course?  

I am a bit taken aback by your superficial treatment of both Merion and NGLA, but that is precisely what happens when we focus on credit instead of delving into what actually happened.  

"If CBM laid out and routed Merion you are CREDITING him with the design. Based upon that, are you willing to give equal credit for the layout and design of NGLA to Emmet, Travis and Whigham since it is quite clear that it was a 4-person "committee" who were both given the responsibility for doing it and who planned to spend the 5 months following routing the course and picking out the holes?"

First regarding Merion, I don't think CBM laid out Merion. I think Hugh Wilson and his committee laid out Merion. CBM and HJW were integrally involved in choosing the land, choosing the hole concepts and planning the layout.  They not only guided Merion in planning the layout and other matters, they chose and approved the final routing, which was submitted to the board as the plan they had approved.  Others were involved in all of this as well, including Francis with his swap idea and Lloyd for shepherding the idea through, and Wilson with working on the preparation and the plan, even if he was being guided by CBM. Hugh Wilson was reportedly responsible for the finishing touches on the course including the fairway bunker placement and some other details.  Wilson was also reportedly responsible for the changes which took place in the first half of the 1920's, including the new 10th-13th holes, and was apparently responsible for initiating the project to redo the bunkers which was not finished until after his death.  Etc.

Now this just touches the surface of what happened, and there is much more under the surface, but hopefully you get the picture.   Yet you write that I think that CBM laid out Merion; therefore I am "CREDITING HIM WITH THE DESIGN." That is your oversimplification and mischaracterization, not mine.  

Second, regarding NGLA, why would you risk debasing your credibility as a researcher by even suggesting that we could hand out credit for the design of NGLA based upon a 1906 article and a few snippets, all written before the planning had been completed and the course built?    

Those versed in the origins of NGLA will immediately recognize that the article contains a number of inaccuracies and the source of those inaccuracies is obvious.  Much of the article simply parrots sections of the original 1904 agreement, including hypotheticals and suggestions, as if they were part of the current circumstance.   They were not.  Not surprisingly the article ignores the one portion of the 1904 agreement which actually addresses how the golf course would be created.   The last two paragraphs of the 1904 Agreement address "the building of the course" with the last paragraph in particular addresses who would be primarily responsible.  Here are the last to paragraphs, with my emphasis added:

As to the building of the golf course, it is well known that certain holes on certain links abroad are famous as being the best considering their various lengths. It is the object of this association to model each of the eighteen holes after the most famous holes abroad, so that each hole would be representative and classic in itself.

Mr. Charles B. Macdonald will take charge of this matter and associate himself with two qualified golfers in America, making a committee of three capable of carrying out this general scheme. In the meantime, you are asked to subscribe and leave the matter entirely in his hands.

Similarly, after both the course and clubhouse had been completed, CBM wrote a statement to the members and again mentioned who had ultimately responsibility for the project.  

The course is now completed, the clubhouse erected, and the direction of the Links has passed into the hands of a Board of Directors appointed by yourselves, who in turn have appointed subcommittees in their various capacities. It occurs to me that this is an appropriate time to make a statement, acting, as I have, practically as a Committee of One in the furtherance of this project, with the devoted assistance of a number of the Founders most keenly interested.

Macdonald clarifies further in Scotland's gift, when CBM noted that he dropped Travis  and "Jim Whigham and I, with the kindly interest taken by Joseph P. Knapp, James A. Stillman, Devereaux Emmet, Charles Sabin and others, forged ahead with the construction from the surveyor's maps and the thirty or forty drawings which I had made myself of different holes which I thought were worthwhile."

Even by looking at the article, there is no doubt that the planning had already been ongoing and that a number of the key holes (if not all of them) had already been located on the property at this point, including the Eden, the Alps, the Redan, and the Cape.   Scotland's Gift confirms that it was largely he and HJ Whigham who found many of these holes.  Scotland's Gift also confirms that CBM found many of the others as well, such as the Sahara and the Road, and that he was responsible for the derivations from the originals.   CBM also details contributions made by a number of others, as listed above.    Yet you want to ignore all this and go with a statement in the article?

Frankly, it is a bit too much for you to take an 1906 article, fraught with mistakes, and start declaring that the four mentioned ought to get equal credit because the article said that the four of them would be working on planning the details.  What is your point in oversimplifying and caricaturing NGLA like this?  While others are obviously trying to, I am not oversimplifying or caricaturing Merion's history in such a reckless manner and I am a bit offended that you would  compare my research and analysis at Merion to your jumping to conclusions after a superficial reading of one sentence in one 1906 article.

David M,
Regarding your post 36: "...  I never told Merion how they should credit their course...  

--------------
Sir, to quote from your Missing Faces essay:  
"While Hugh I. Wilson is credited with designing the great Merion East course that opened in 1912, he did not plan the original layout or conceive of the holes.....   While my research is in the early stages, my preliminary view is that many of the original holes at Merion East were based upon the conceptual underpinnings of the great holes, as understood by Macdonald and Whigham.""

--------------
I respectfully submit that the quoted section of the essay may be seen as an attempt to tell Merion how to credit their course.

That you and others still refuse to believe me about my intentions says much more about the paranoia which still surrounds my essay and the bizarre protectionist attitude toward Merion's Legend, as does Mike Cirba's post egging you on and also suggesting that I may be lying and that perhaps Ran ought to throw me off the website.    

I know what I intended, Dan, and I never intended to tell Merion how to credit the course.  And Dan, there is nothing respectful about you telling me what my intentions were, especially since I have clarified my intentions, many, many times.  Merion's Legend was my jumping off point to discuss what really happened.  Had you ventured into the actual essay instead of sticking within the synopsis to find your quote, you might have realized this.

Bill, I shouldn't have called your statement that CBM would never share credit for NGLA ridiculous, and I apologize.

In my opinion he did share credit, and repeatedly and graciously so.

But I agree with you that CBM had an ego and would add that he seemed to think he was on a mission as well.  But if he felt he played a large role in the growth to early maturity of American golf, then in my opinion he had good reason to think and if anything he underplayed his importance.  I cannot imagine who might have had more influence on so many different aspects of the game before 1912.  

Where if anywhere in Scotland's Gift do you think that CBM exaggerated or overstated his accomplishments or importance?   Who if anyone didn't he acknowledge that he should have acknowledged?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:35:47 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2010, 06:52:28 AM »
David,
Michael isn't egging me on.  The last time we talked was during lunch on the Friday of the AT&T National at the 'Mink.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2010, 06:59:49 AM »

That you and others still refuse to believe me about my intentions says much more about the paranoia which still surrounds my essay and the bizarre protectionist attitude toward Merion's Legend, as does Mike Cirba's post egging you on and also suggesting that I may be lying and that perhaps Ran ought to throw me off the website.    

David,

Where did I suggest that Ran ought to throw you off the website???  

I welcomed both you and Tom MacWood when you each returned, and despite the fact that you continue to type ridiculous theories (see above) as if they are proven fact you have the right to believe whatever makes sense to you and say whatever you like here and I'd never want to see you removed by Ran or anyone else.

Also, I haven't seen Dan Hermann unfortunately since the Shreiner's party at Aronimink.    I think at one point he sent me a note telling me to just ignore you guys on the Public course thread because it was a pointless argument, but other than that, nada.  

JC Jones

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2010, 07:03:14 AM »

As with anything, it can be relied on if it supports whatever one is trying to argue. 

Scotland's Gift does is NOT exclusionary with respect to who may have helped CBM design NGLA but that does not bother Pat Mucci. 

In addition to flaws in your logic and reading comprehension skills, your ability to structure thought and sentences needs improvement.

The CREATOR of NGLA in his personal account mentions those who helped him.

Your idiotic exclusionary conclusion regarding Belvedere Golf Club is based/drawn solely from a single sentence from a club history written 44 years after the club opened by someone NOT involved in the creation of the club.   In addition, we've seen error after error in almost every club history, especially those written long after the club has opened, as in your case.

On another thread, however, Pat Mucci claims that because a particular club's history is not exclusionary, that there remains the possibility that something happened other than what they said.

That's just another convoluted and erroneous conclusion on your part.

The sum total of your reliance is but one sentence in the club history, written 44 years after the fact, by someone NOT invovled in the creation of the club, mentions that men and horses were used.

That one sentence doesn't preclude the use of mechanized equipment during the clearing and construction process.

You'd have to be a moron to draw the conclusion that because a single sentence in a club history, written 44 years after the fact, by someone not involved in the construction, mentions that 115 men and 5 horse teams were used that therefore, no mechanized equipment was used.

And, if you can't distinguish the difference between a club history, written by a Johnny come lately not involved in the project, 44 years after the fact and CBM's personal account, then there's no sense in discussing or debating the issues with you because you're beyond obtuse.

It shouldn't be unnoticed that you deliberately dragged me into this thread

1.  You have no idea who wrote the club history for Belvedere Golf Club, where they got their information, whether they were involved in the construction, nor anything else.  You don't even have a clue what the Belvedere Golf Club is, where it is, or anything else.  You openly admitted to searching the internet for information to help your feeble arguments last night.  

2.  You did not address my point other than to say it was idiotic.  Does Scotland's Gift specifically exclude every possible architect of the time from having lead or co-design credit for NGLA?  You can't see the relevancy in the question because you can't see your own foolishness.

3.  I dragged you into this thread?  I'm glad we've re-entered Pat Mucci bizarro world where the wind doesn't blow in Nebraska and there aren't any swamps in Florida.  YOU ENTERED THIS THREAD ON YOUR OWN IN POST #37.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back