News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Wine Valley -- Wow indeed !
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »
Time is too short to go into much detail -- but during my abbreviated visit to the northwest I had the opportunity to play the sensational Wine Valley GC in Walla Walla, WA.

Designed by Dan Hickson the course is truly a MUST play for any person who happens to be nearby or traveling through.

The course was in stellar firm and fast conditions -- better than some of the ones I visited in Bend -- and the property is a joy to behold. I visited the site in late '08 when it was being built and the finished product is a testament to what golf design can and shold be when the right minds are at work.

People rightly rave about Wild Horse and other such courses -- Wime Valley is easily in that league. And I mean easily.

The rolling land -- the sweeping off-site vistas and the true inclusion of such an outstanding array of natural design features made me just shake my head in awe. So much of golf today has lost its bearings -- Wine Valley proves otherwise in a big time way.

I'll opine more on the individual holes and hopefully will even post some pics as well.

Bill_McBride

Re: Wine Valley -- Wow indeed !
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »
(Hooray for Slag Bandoon!  ;D )

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 07:07:53 PM »
Matt,

I'm a similar fan of Wine Valley. I know Palouse has gotten a lot of pub, but Wine Valley is a significant step ahead in my mind. I hope Dan get's a lot more projects. He really has a great sense for the game as a playing pro and a club pro.

Cheers, Jeff
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

astavrides

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:21:37 AM by astavrides »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »
Matt, I'm looking forward to your photos and more commentary.  I don't know what your itinerary is, but it would be really fun if you got to go a little further and take a run at Chambers Bay this trip as well. 

The crew that designed and built Wine Valley seemed like a really special one of fortunate meetings of personalities, talent and passion.  We got to watch much of the development as it progressed.  I'd call it one of those GCA.com baby darlings, right from the start.  Good people, good product.  ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 11:01:54 PM »

MATT,

I found the bunkering there to be superior.The bunkers were placed to effect different levels of golfers and were aesthectically awesome.A great course for a higher handicapper and a nice setting.I look foward to your pics.One of my favorite courses I have played.
  Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 11:27:03 PM »
Matt,

I've heard that it is a good course for match play competition. What's your take on that?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 02:55:50 AM »
Anthony:

Agree w you 100% -- just a real treat -- anyone within 250 miles needs to make a detour and play it. I played Palouse Ridge last year and liked it -- but WV is more than a few steps ahead.

RJ:

Right on target -- a labor of love indeed. My trip could not take me to CB but I have a few other courses of note that I did play and will opine oln all of them in due time. W V is a real treat and is no less than places like Wild Horse, Rustic Canyon and those at that level.

Posted by: astavrides 
Matt,
Are you being compensated by Wine Valley for publicity?

Garland:

W V works whether it's match or stroke play.

The course plays to a par-72 but can be played as a more demanding 70 par with two par-5's as par-4 holes. They just played the NW Open there and the place got rave reviews from all in the field -- they were right on target and most importantly the course has a superintendent who truly understands firm and fast conditions.

astavrides:

I write what I feel -- I was not solicited by the club in anyway. I played the course and simply opined. I have done that for all courses I have ever visited. I have recommended a few courses to consideer raising their profille because of what they provide as quality golf courses. Wine Valley is just a joy to play and with a bit more exposure can easily be rated among the best public courses -- even more so for courses  under $100.

Let me say this -- how bout you and any others for that matter head to Walla Walla, WA and see it for themselves. If you think it's even remotely less than what I have said thus far I'll be happy to pay your green fee.

I can tell you this -- my $$ is quite safe from any potential takers.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 08:59:47 AM »
I heard one crit." The greens are too difficult". I didn't heed that opinion too much because it was likely based on their poor play. But, I might as well ask about it. Matt, were the greens too undulating at certain speeds? What were the speeds?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 12:16:58 PM »
Adam,

At least for someone showing up in August and playing the standard set up, I would say the greens are purrrrfect.

Don't know about what they would do to them for a tournament of players more talented than I.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »
I would put Wine Valley in the same category as Rustic Canyon and Sagebrush. All play fast and firm with very tight and large bent grass greens. Rustic Canyon does not have as much elevation change as WV or Sagebrush and for that reason I prefer WV and Sagebrush more, but they all share the same DNA. They are loads of fun to play and beatiful to look at.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 10:31:39 PM »
I would put Wine Valley in the same category as Rustic Canyon and Sagebrush. All play fast and firm with very tight and large bent grass greens. Rustic Canyon does not have as much elevation change as WV or Sagebrush and for that reason I prefer WV and Sagebrush more, but they all share the same DNA. They are loads of fun to play and beatiful to look at.

I don't know how much elevation change there is at WV, but the climb from #4 green to #16 tee at Rustic Canyon is a bunch!  I'd love to know the actual number for each.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 01:12:37 AM »
The elevation change at Rustic Canyon is consistent and gradual. The elevation change at Wine Valley is much more varied. Some holes play up and then down or vice versa. These changes are much less gradual than at Rustic Canyon, so you experience much more elevation change at Wine Valley.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 01:55:26 AM »
Adam:

If someone bitches and moans that the greens at WV are over the top -- then they would need to say no less for the greens at Old Macdonald which I also played. There are plenty of pinnable areas at WV and frankly they are a good bit less severe than what you see with Old Macdonald.

Before I played the NW Open was played and the greens were at near 12 stimp speed. They were slightly less than that when I played -- likely around 11 but they did not take away from the course whatsoever in my mind. I wish greens could always be that consistent and true.

Richard:

Good commentrs -- but I see WV ahead of Rustic Canyon -- the topgraphy is more challenmging and WV can easily up the intensity meter in having two par-5 holes played as long par-4 holes if desired. The key for WV is getting a wider audience aware of what is there -- hasrd to imaghine such fine two public courses at two totally different and remote areas of the same state as Old Macdonald and Wine Valley.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 02:09:46 AM »
,,,-- hasrd to imaghine such fine two public courses at two totally different and remote areas of the same state as Old Macdonald and Wine Valley.

What state would that be? Orewashingonton?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 02:12:24 AM »
Garland:

Forgive me -- but WV is just across the stateline in WA -- if you factor in Bandon being in the SW corner of Oregon and WV being in the far corner of WA and OR it's quite a distance between them. Factually you are right -- but my point on the spread of such distance is still spot on.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 02:25:00 AM »
I will try to post some of the pics I took at WV -- the property really does look great -- especially with the contrasts with the native grasses.

What's amazing is that since my last visit to WV -- it happened as the course was being grassed -- the local road (hwy 12) is now a four-lane road and allows for speedy access to the course. When I was there previously it was two lanes.

I was blessed when I played the course -- temps were in the low 70's which is quite unusual for late August and the wind was quite gentle and far from what it had been the day prior during a PING demo day 00 then gusts were a steady 25 mph with gusts upwards to 40 mph.

Generally the prevailing win at WV during summer months is from the west - southwest direction. That means the 1st hole plays into the wind -- especially for the 2nd shot.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 08:30:54 AM »

WV is one course that gives you areas to miss.And for the higher handicapper that has to rely on ups and downs for pars it makes the course very playable and enjoyable.Very good design to allow misses.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 09:20:16 AM »
Garland:

Forgive me -- but WV is just across the stateline in WA -- if you factor in Bandon being in the SW corner of Oregon and WV being in the far corner of WA and OR it's quite a distance between them. Factually you are right -- but my point on the spread of such distance is still spot on.

It's really a long distance because there is no hypotenusal route.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 10:06:36 AM »
Garland:

We'll just have to see if Dan Hixson comes up with something special in remote eastern Oregon to substitute for Wine Valley in your original statement and make it true without having to incorporate the state of Orewashingonton.  ;)  :o

Anthony Gray

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »
  Examples of places the architecture gives to miss.

The first hole

Misses right/long/left.

The long miss.

Hole 18.Bail outs short,right and long.

Garland loves this course!!

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »
Garland thinks it's a great match play course.
 ;)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »

Just open this post and now my screen has shattered, my hair is falling out and what’s left has just turned white – please Guys no more close-ups 8)

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »

Just open this post and now my screen has shattered, my hair is falling out and what’s left has just turned white – please Guys no more close-ups 8)

Melvyn

A face only a mother could love! ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back