News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Thurs., 8/18/10 - Get To Know Martin Toal
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »
Martin has graciously agreed to sit in the hot seat for a few days. I've noticed his many interesting thoughts on golf and golf courses in the UK and elsewhere, and as I have an affinity for overseas posters, I thought it would be nice to get to know him a little better.

Martin did provide me with a very interesting intro, but I'd prefer he be the one to post it, for clarity. If he forgets :), I'll be sure to post it.

Please welcome Martin with lots of interesting questions.

-----

On deck: Jay Flemma (? gotta double check to make sure he's available)

5 most recent:

Mac Plumart

Padraig Dooley

Ben Sims

Ben Stephens

Dale Jackson

Full list:

GTK participants
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

Re: Starting Thurs., 8/18/10 - Get To Know Martin Toal
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:09:31 PM »
Here is the intro Martin sent me, I think you'll find it very interesting.

I am 46 years old, and originally from Northern Ireland so I am used to letting fly with my comments without too much concern for the consequences. I was told once (in Dallas) that I sound a bit like David Feherty. I think that was early Feherty and they meant I sounded foreign rather then funny. Toal is a version of the Irish name O'Tuathaill, the source of the semi-anglicized name O'Toole, meaning 'of the tribe of Tuathal'. I now live in Berkshire, England and am a member of a nice course called Bearwood Lakes, discussed here on GCA. It was opened about 13 or 14 years ago and is a modern Hawtree design in the former hunting grounds of Henry VIII. Although to be fair, almost all of this part of the country were once former hunting grounds for Henry, it seems.

I am a physician (MD) who works in the pharma industry running clinical trials in leukaemia right now. I don't pretend to be an expert on golf architecture but I think I know what I like in terms of golf. My favourite golf course is Royal County Down, and I have been a member of a nice links in NW England called Silloth on Solway. I like heathland golf of the sort you get in England, and I love Irish links. But I hate Old Head. I am a UK 8 handicap, based on about 15 games of golf a year. If I played a bit more, I could probably do a bit better. When I was younger, I used to play at the same golf club as Darren Clarke. I have since realised that trying to reach the same waist size as him does not make me play like him. I have been to the US many times (at least 50 times) and have invariably enjoyed it, and played golf on many of those trips. I haven't played Bethpage or Pebble, but played Torrey Pines and found it utterly forgettable. Wasn't too impressed by Doral Blue Monster either. I have also played in Orlando - enough said! My favourite US places are San Diego (any time of year) and Boston (not in winter). I used to collect Tour player Scotty Cameron putters, and am currently pursuing someone in the FL courts for selling me 15, yes, 15 of Nick Faldo's Scotty Cameron putters which were stolen from Faldo's FL house. I gave them back to Sir Nick, although he didn't seem as appreciative as I had been given to expect.

I have 2 sons aged almost 3 and almost 1, Ethan and Conor - we started a bit late in the parenting game. Ethan knows what a 'golf stick' is, but has not shown much early interest in golf otherwise.

About 2 weeks ago, I went to my doctor with problems breathing which had been getting worse for a few weeks, and I was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy - basically my left ventricle is buggered, as we say over here. I am now waiting to see if modern pharmaceuticals will do me a good turn or not. I really hope they do. I had been in the US a couple of weeks before seeing the doctor and struggled with the de-oxygenation of the pressurised cabin, so I may not be travelling long haul again. We'll see. For the time being any local golf needs careful planning and good luck. I played on Sunday and a few of the hills were hard going. I will give up before I rely on a buggy.

Through GCA, however, I will continue to vicariously enjoy Rock Creek, Old Mac and the other great courses pictured and described.

Happy to take any questions or comments.

Martin
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:25:48 PM »
Martin,

Let's not f**k around. What's the solution for Northern Ireland? The recent reports of violence are troubling.

What's your favourite Scotty Cameron model? I am a sucker for Newport Tei3s but always get sick of the ongoing maintenance and sell them!

Do the pharma companies really throttle research so they don't go and heal too many people, destroying their own profitability?

Your favourite three holes at Silloth?

The doctor tells you you have one more long-haul flight in you and you decide it will be a golf trip. Where are you going and why?

How did you discover GCA.com?

Which GCAers have you met in person and what were your impressions?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
Martin,

You mention courses you don't like in the US. Are there any you did like? Or, is the absence of links in any quantity a big detriment?

When you play Royal County Down, what adjustments do you make vs. playing your heathland course?

Do you have any advice to give to young Rory on golfing courses and traditions?

One more, I forgot the first time. Any chance you are a mollydooker?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:28:22 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 03:35:01 PM »
Standard questions:

What brought you to golf?

Golf course architecture?

This website?

jonathan_becker

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 04:03:17 PM »
Martin,

If Maderas goes back to being a private facility, are you going to be first in line for a membership?  ;)  ;D

Martin Toal

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 04:14:18 PM »
Martin,

Let's not f**k around. What's the solution for Northern Ireland? The recent reports of violence are troubling.

2 steps forward, one step back. It will eventually settle down

What's your favourite Scotty Cameron model? I am a sucker for Newport Tei3s but always get sick of the ongoing maintenance and sell them!

Del Mar 3.5, oil can if someone else will oil it for me, SSS otherwise

Do the pharma companies really throttle research so they don't go and heal too many people, destroying their own profitability?

No, probably the opposite, start too many new molecules including too many 'me toos' and too quickly saturate markets

3rd, 4th and 11th

The doctor tells you you have one more long-haul flight in you and you decide it will be a golf trip. Where are you going and why?

Bandon. Is a road trip to Sand Hills too far from there?

How did you discover GCA.com?

Another member, Gareth of ANGC recent fame, told me about it

Which GCAers have you met in person and what were your impressions?

The Chicago crew, and they were fine gentlemen, one and all.

Martin Toal

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 04:21:22 PM »
Martin,

You mention courses you don't like in the US. Are there any you did like? Or, is the absence of links in any quantity a big detriment?

Sure, loads of good courses. Haven't played any of the real top end ones, but enjoyed many nice mid level courses. If I was playng a few again, would probably head to, in no particular order, Bulle Rock, Pinehills and Pine Hill (one in MA, other in NJ), Pelican Hill, CA, Maderas (see later question), Sand Barrens, NJ.

When you play Royal County Down, what adjustments do you make vs. playing your heathland course?

Haven't played it for years, but choose a club which will hit the fairway, punchy 3/4 shots and if in a bunker, get out first time.

Do you have any advice to give to young Rory on golfing courses and traditions?

Stay with a classic swing, good attitude and an equipment company that makes good traditional clubs. Make sure your real friends keep you grounded. Play the torunaments at the great courses, and one day you will like links as much as parkland

One more, I forgot the first time. Any chance you are a mollydooker?

Good Lord, I hope not. After consulting google, no, although I am a left footer (see Northern Ireland politics)

Martin Toal

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 04:24:27 PM »
Standard questions:

What brought you to golf?

Caddied for an older cousin at a tournament. Thought this loked easy. Soon realised it wasn't.
Golf course architecture?

I know bugger all about architecture, but I have always liked the linksy/heathland courses, and those in the US such as Bandon etc look fantastic, so I enjoy the threads and pictures. I also think it is fantastically cool that some famous architects participate here. 

This website?

Referred by Gareth, soon to try to blag his way into ANGC

Martin Toal

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »
Martin,

If Maderas goes back to being a private facility, are you going to be first in line for a membership?  ;)  ;D

Ha. I am a member of a Troon golf course, so I get a break on green fees at Maderas. Haven't been in San Diego for a couple of years, though.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 04:29:31 PM »
What are your favorite links courses in England?

Scotland?

Ireland, Northern and Republic?

Favorite heathland?

Favorite architect?

There are 4 slots open in the Buda Cup, can you join us?   ;D

Martin Toal

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »
What are your favorite links courses in England?

Confession time - haven't played very many at all. I was a member of Silloth for 5 years or so, so that will have to be the one

Scotland?

Haven't played TOC, but the New and Kingsbarns were pretty good

Ireland, Northern and Republic?

RCD, is my favourite course anyplace, but Royal Portrush is also great. I also have a sneaking affection for Castlerock. In the ROI, Ballyliffin Old, Ballybunion Old, and Rosses Point (Co. Sligo). I also quite like Royal Dublin, although most prefer its neighbour Portmarnock

Favorite heathland?

Possibly Hankley Common. I also liked the old Wentworth West, despite the rather vulgar corporate nature of the place.

Favorite architect?

To answer that would require a level of knowledge I would not pretend to have. I have played some lovely courses that were designed by nature or nobodies, and have enjoyed some courses by modern big name players!

There are 4 slots open in the Buda Cup, can you join us?   ;D

I will check out the threads on the Buda Cup and get back to you. It is in Wales, right?

Martin Toal

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 04:38:16 PM »
I haven't been asked this many detailed questions since that time I was stopped by a police patrol outside Belfast one dark night .... I managed to escape from that one with dignity and liberty intact.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 05:03:23 PM »
I haven't been asked this many detailed questions since that time I was stopped by a police patrol outside Belfast one dark night .... I managed to escape from that one with dignity and liberty intact.

You're lucky we aren't making you walk a straight line!

Yes, the Buda is 36 Friday at Porthcawl, 18 Saturday pm at Pennard, and 36 Sunday still at Pennard.  Dates are September 17-19.  Sean's opening post has all the details.  Great matches between USA and ROW, but overshadowed by the camaraderie and rowdy behaviour.  (Just kidding about the last!)

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 12:00:14 PM »
Is there any way you can put some perspective on what it was like growing up in Northern Ireland? Any books or movies you feel do a good job representing this?

Did you ever play a round of golf with Darren Clarke growing up? Did folks at your club recognize his potential?

As for driving time from Bandon to Sand Hills, for a UK person, it would probably seem like a lifetime's worth. :)

It's funny to me that you haven't experienced TOC, but then again, it's funny to my good friends that I haven't taken advantage of opportunities here.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:28:04 PM by George Pazin »

Will MacEwen

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 12:11:35 PM »
Martin,

Did Keith Wood play too much like a back and not do enough of the dirty work expected of a hooker?

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 12:25:35 PM »
Martin,

Is Nick Faldo your favorite player? ;D

Rich
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Martin Toal

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 01:06:33 PM »
Is there any way you can put some perspective on what it was like growing up in Northern Ireland? Any books or movies you feel do a good job representing this?
When you grow up, I think whatever you experience is normality - its all you know. I was not too badly affected by the violence, but I knew people who got shot, my father's old Ford Zephyr was stolen to transport a bomb (which blew up en route), I was hassled by the police and Army as most Catholics were, and later as a doctor, I saw people who had been shot, beaten with baseball bats, including some who had been 'kneecapped'. I avoided certain parts of town, and avoided certain towns, and I have a dislike of people waving flags at others who disagree with them. Then in the mid-90s it all kinda stopped. In the end, most people are concerned with educating their kids, paying the bils and having a peaceful life. I don't doubt that things could slip back a bit, but I don't think it will ever go back the whole way
Did you ever play a round of golf with Darren Clarke growing up? Did folks at your club recognize his potential?
Darren was a + handicapper as a 16 year old, so was always recognised as a potential professional. I played with him a few times, and he was a strong aggressive player. Greg Norman was at his peak then, and Darren played the same sort of game. But he also put in a lot of practice on his game, and when he realised he needed to stretch his game, he relocated to Portrush, later home of GMac.
As for driving time from Bandon to Sand Hills, for a UK person, it would probably seem like a lifetime's worth. :)

What, more than an hour's drive?
It's funny to me that you haven't experienced TOC, but then again, it's funny to my good friends that I haven't taken advantage of opportunities here.

Martin Toal

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 01:07:24 PM »
Martin,

Did Keith Wood play too much like a back and not do enough of the dirty work expected of a hooker?

I will have to confess that I am from the side of the NI community that was more interested in Gaelic Football than Rugby.

Martin Toal

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
Martin,

Is Nick Faldo your favorite player? ;D

Rich

Excellent question. No!

My current favourites are Rory Mc and Darren. I have always preferred a more down to earth character than Nick. I have met him, prior to my Cameron experience, and he was perfectly charming, although he was on the clock at the time at a corporate event.

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 01:11:44 PM »
Martin

What course did you learn on ?

As another Silloth old boy I appreciate your opinion of 3rd and 4th although not sure I would put 11th in the same category. When you played there what was your best score and di you ever play in any of the comps off the very back tees ?

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 01:15:24 PM »

3rd, 4th and 11th

No love for 7, 9 or 13?  Those three (with 3 and 4) seem to me the stars of a great course.  As a former member you'll know the course better, so what makes the three you have selected stand out?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Martin Toal

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »
Martin

What course did you learn on ?
A parkland course called Dunganon, 6000 yards, up and  down hills and during winter the going was rather soft
As another Silloth old boy I appreciate your opinion of 3rd and 4th although not sure I would put 11th in the same category. When you played there what was your best score and di you ever play in any of the comps off the very back tees ?

I was playing off 9 most of the time I was there, and I am sure I had a few scores in the low-mid 70s. In fact, I like most of the holes there, and had to think when asked. Those 3 are easier to play first time at Silloth than some which need a few rounds, such as the 7th and 14th. I think the only unremarkable holes are the 8th and 10th and I wasn't mad about the 18th.

Niall

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
Martin

Do you spend more time on Golf Club Atlas or The Cameron Collector?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Martin Toal

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 01:24:03 PM »

3rd, 4th and 11th

No love for 7, 9 or 13?  Those three (with 3 and 4) seem to me the stars of a great course.  As a former member you'll know the course better, so what makes the three you have selected stand out?

I think they set up as attractive holes off the tee, and offer some choices. They are also playable by most golfers, you don't need to be long off the tee. I seem to remember the 3rd often playing into a left to right wind off the tee and into the wind for the second shot, and a few shots hit over the back into the bank leaving a tricky chip. I have been in the dips on both sides of the 4th green, sometimes in both in the same round, but that one often played down wind. I like the 11th because of the nice view of the green coming up to the drive. It also reminds me of an Irish links.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back