News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Wed., 7/21/10 - Get To Know Padraig Dooley
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:12:16 AM »
I've been a fan of Padraig's ever since he started posting on here. He brings a very experienced, informed, and thoughtful approach to each post, and his experiences as a competitive golfer obviously add weight to his insights.

I'll try to dig up some more info on Padraig, but in the meantime, please welcome this delightful Irish poster with interesting questions.

-----

On Deck: Mac Plumart

5 most recent:

Ben Sims

Ben Stephens

Dale Jackson

Jim Colton

Ryan Farrow

Full list:

GTK participants
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Szabo

Re: Starting Wed., 7/21/10 - Get To Know Padraig Dooley
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »
George,

Glad to see these continue.  I've enjoyed each of them in the past.  And to all who have participated, thanks for taking the time!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »
Thanks, Scott. I know we've had a pretty lengthy break, but hopefully everyone will get back into the swing shortly.

Padraig has shared some of his playing experiences on here - I believe he has played in some European PGA Tour events - but I haven't had any luck in finding more, it will take a little more digging.

I'm sure he has a lot of useful info on the wonderful courses in Ireland.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:11:41 PM »
George

I'll help you with some info.

I turned professional in 2002 after playing on the Irish National Team, played on the Sunshine Tour in South Africa for 6 seasons with not too much success, played on the Europro Tour (third level tour) in Europe for 6 seasons with modest success as well, played in some Challenge Tour events as well.

My golf improved steadily at the start but then stopped improving and now am the assistant pro at Cork Golf Club, where I started playing golf back in the early 90's. While playing I travelled extensively, played a lot in South Africa, spent quite a bit of time in the US, playing mainly in California and Florida, played a lot in the UK and have played a lot here in Ireland.

I have a big interest in architecture particularly MacKenzie and like looking at how courses evolve over time.

On the qualifications side, I have a degree in Mathematics and Statistics, a TPI certified instructor with certificates in Golf Pro level 2, Junior Coach level 2 and level 3. I also have the Advanced Rules qualification from the PGA.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 05:21:38 PM »
Hello Padraig!

A few questions:

Do people call you "Paddy?"  Or is that overly familiar?

Did you grow up in Cork?

Are the members of Cork Golf Club enthusiastic about their Mackenzie connection?

Do they participate in the Mackenzie Cup?

I have friends at Alwoodley and the Valley Club who are paralyzed with fear that they might not qualify!

Has there been a serious restoration of the Mackenzie features at Cork>  It's amazing to see what Doak's team has accomplished at Pasatiempo and Valley Club.

Thanks!

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:24:41 PM »
Padraig:

Thanks for participating - here are a few to start:

1.  Tell us a bit about your playing career
2.  Does playing competitively make it less enjoyable to play casual golf?
3.  What do you like to do non-golf related?
4.  Lahinch or Ballybunion?
5.  Someone has 5 days to play golf in Ireland but does not want to move from hotel to hotel, where should they stay and why?
6.  Favorite music?
7.  Favorite book?
8.  Do your tastes in architecture change when you are playing competitively as opposed to for the general population?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »
Hello Padraig!

A few questions:

Did you grow up in Cork?

Are the members of Cork Golf Club enthusiastic about their Mackenzie connection?

I have friends at Alwoodley and the Valley Club who are paralyzed with fear that they might not qualify!

Has there been a serious restoration of the Mackenzie features at Cork>  It's amazing to see what Doak's team has accomplished at Pasatiempo and Valley Club.

Thanks!
Bill

I'm called Podge or Dools rather than Paddy and I grew up in Cork.

Yes the members are enthusiastic about our MacKenzie connection, we do participate in the MacKenzie cup, I've played in three and we host this year in about 4 weeks.

Later this year we embark on a bunker and tee renovation plan and also have adopted a landscape management program which will return us to our old distinctive style.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:32:16 PM »
On the qualifications side, I have a degree in Mathematics and Statistics, a TPI certified instructor with certificates in Golf Pro level 2, Junior Coach level 2 and level 3. I also have the Advanced Rules qualification from the PGA.

Wow, a fellow math geek, no wonder I enjoy your posts! I was a math major many years ago (over 20 now, damn).

Where have you played in the US?

I have friends from South Africa, from Jo-Burg & Cape Town. It's my opinion that the South African accent may just edge out the Aussie accent and the Irish and Scottish accent when bestowed upon the ladies. What's your experience in this regard? :)

What are the toughest weather conditions you've played in?

Ever qualified for The Open?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 05:33:13 PM »
Padraig:

Thanks for participating - here are a few to start:

1.  Tell us a bit about your playing career
2.  Does playing competitively make it less enjoyable to play casual golf?
3.  What do you like to do non-golf related?
4.  Lahinch or Ballybunion?
5.  Someone has 5 days to play golf in Ireland but does not want to move from hotel to hotel, where should they stay and why?
6.  Favorite music?
7.  Favorite book?
8.  Do your tastes in architecture change when you are playing competitively as opposed to for the general population?

1. Didn't build on good starts often enough
2. No, I love playing golf, just have to watch out for burnout when playing competitively
3. Take a lot of books with me when playing.
4. Ballybunion, just
5. Killarney, Ballybunion, Tralee, Waterville, Lahinch, Doonbeg all within easy enough driving distance.
6. The Beatles
7. The Old Man and the Sea
8. My taste in architecture was different to most of the guys I played competitively with

- Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 05:48:39 PM »

Wow, a fellow math geek, no wonder I enjoy your posts! I was a math major many years ago (over 20 now, damn).

Where have you played in the US?

I have friends from South Africa, from Jo-Burg & Cape Town. It's my opinion that the South African accent may just edge out the Aussie accent and the Irish and Scottish accent when bestowed upon the ladies. What's your experience in this regard? :)

What are the toughest weather conditions you've played in?

Ever qualified for The Open?
George

First trip to the States was San Francisco GC, Meadow Club, Pebble, Spyglass, Cypress finishing with The Valley Club. Where do you go from there? Later on in California played Pasatiempo, Richmond, Gleneagles (two dangerous ones!), Green Hills, San Geromino, Vente Wineyards, Castlewood. Last year played Chicago GC, Arcadia Bluffs and Crystal Downs. In Florida quite a few non descript courses but notable ones include World Woods, Lake Nona and Old Marsh, one course in Texas, Tapatio Springs and played the Air Force Academy in Colorado in May.

The South African accent is very alluring but would put the Scottish one on a par with it.

Plenty of bad conditions at Easter in Rosses Point but the worst was probably St. Andrews Bay a few years back, when play was suspended I was on a hole getting ready to hit 4 iron for my third, having failed to reach the fairway and hit a 60 yard hack from the junk, play was resumed 2 days later (this was june 04) and when one of my friends played the hole in calm conditions,later on, he hit 3 wood, lob wedge.

I played in final qualifying for the Open a few times, the closest I came was for Muirfield in 02 while still and amateur, had the 2nd best score on the second day but still fell short.

- Pablo Picasso

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 06:00:22 PM »
Hello Padraig!

A few questions:

Did you grow up in Cork?

Thanks!
Bill

I'm called Podge or Dools rather than Paddy and I grew up in Cork.

Yes the members are enthusiastic about our MacKenzie connection, we do participate in the MacKenzie cup, I've played in three and we host this year in about 4 weeks.

Later this year we embark on a bunker and tee renovation plan and also have adopted a landscape management program which will return us to our old distinctive style.

Thanks Podge!

Exciting news about about the renovation.  Perhaps you could educate our group with some before and after photos.  Is the work to be done in-house?  Are there old plans and photos as the basis of the revisions?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 06:16:36 PM »
Bill

The architect is Marc Westenborg of Hawtree's, the construction work is going out to tender shortly. The landscaping work will be done in house. The bunker work is more of a remodel than a renovation. The bunker styling was changed in the early 80's so we're going back to more of a MacKenzie style. We have about 50 bunkers with approx 35 being renovated, 15 being removed and 13 being introduced.

Old photos are just being used as reminders.

I will do before and after pictures when the work starts in October.

- Pablo Picasso

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 09:47:40 PM »
Bill

The architect is Marc Westenborg of Hawtree's, the construction work is going out to tender shortly. The landscaping work will be done in house. The bunker work is more of a remodel than a renovation. The bunker styling was changed in the early 80's so we're going back to more of a MacKenzie style. We have about 50 bunkers with approx 35 being renovated, 15 being removed and 13 being introduced.

Old photos are just being used as reminders.

I will do before and after pictures when the work starts in October.

Thanks, that sounds very interesting!

Shane Wright

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »
Bill - I just played Cork Golf Club last week and will post the current pictures - hopefully this weekend.  And I will leave it to "Podge" to post the after photos.

CGC was an absolute blast.  The holes thru the rock quarry were just awesome and the greens were just beautiful.  It was my first Mackenzie experience...and now I'm yearning for more. It was great to meet Padraig for the first time.

Questions for Padraig:

1. Is there a notable course in the UK that you haven't played yet?
2. Do you prefer competing in the qualifying tourneys or playing casual rounds at some of the world's best
3. What do you believe is the best hole at CGC
4. What is your favorite place to go in Ireland whether it is for golf or not?
5. Guiness or Murphy's?
6.  family? kids?
7.  top 5 courses you want to play in the u.s. that you haven't?
8. can you elaborate a little more on what Hawtree will be doing for the CGC renovation

Thanks so much and so great to meet you last week!

Shane

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 04:04:26 AM »
Bill - I just played Cork Golf Club last week and will post the current pictures - hopefully this weekend.  And I will leave it to "Podge" to post the after photos.

CGC was an absolute blast.  The holes thru the rock quarry were just awesome and the greens were just beautiful.  It was my first Mackenzie experience...and now I'm yearning for more. It was great to meet Padraig for the first time.

Questions for Padraig:

2. Do you prefer competing in the qualifying tourneys or playing casual rounds at some of the world's best
5. Guiness or Murphy's?
6.  family? kids?
8. can you elaborate a little more on what Hawtree will be doing for the CGC renovation

Shane

1. Loads of courses in the UK, have only played a couple of courses in the UK outside of tournament golf.
2. I love competing and love playing casual rounds around the best, so tournament rounds around the best would be ideal!
3. The 4th is the best hole at CGC
4. The Kerry coast is a great place to go, for golf, beaches and scenery
5. I don't drink!!!
6 Single, no kids.
7. NGLA, Augusta, Shinnecock, Oakmont, Bandon (can I count them all as one!)
8. For the bunkering, it's making them more visible, removing bunkers that are out of play, bringing the fariway bunkers back into the fairway. The tees currently are a range of styles so it's just unifying the style. The landscaping is tree removal and planting much more gorse. The 12th green is being redesigned as well.

- Pablo Picasso

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 12:57:30 PM »
Thanks for all the info.

I noticed you're a reader, and since you're a math guy by training, I thought I'd throw out two suggestions:

Fiction: Improbable - by Adam Fawer - I went to school with this guy, though I didn't know him, even though apparently we were neighbors (he mentions where he lived in his acknowledgments). A sci-fi thriller, it's a fun read, particularly if you're mathematically inclined.

Non-fiction: Journey Through Genius - probably the best non-fiction book I've ever read, with each chapter introducing a seminal problem in math, giving a little background, a non-rigorous sketch of the proof, and then a brief synopsis of ensuing work in related fields.

-----
More questions:

How does being a pro in Ireland compare to being a pro in the US?

Any trips planned in the near future?

I think many people would love a My Home Course writeup on Cork, should you feel so inclined.

:)

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 01:32:50 PM »
Ronan O'Gara or Johnny Sexton for Ireland?

All time GAA Great - Bernard Flynn or Tommy Carr?

Johnny Giles or Roy Keane?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 02:31:16 PM »

Don't you think the site should raise money for you to go to Bandon for THe KP next year?

Do you have a white belt?

Played Cruden Bay?

Favorite Irish food?

Anthony

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »
How much training does an instructor have to go through to get TPI certified?  
Tell us a bit about your teaching style.  Do you enjoy it?  Do you use video extensively?
Best Irish competition for a visiting US golfer with a 6 handicap to enter?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »

Questions for Padraig:

5. Guiness or Murphy's?
6.  family? kids?

Shane

Shane, glad you got to Cork!  I would love to.   Did you take your "posse?"

Mike Cirba

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
Hi Padraig,

I enjoy your posts a great deal.

As an avid golfer and lover of links golf who has never been to Ireland, but who hopes to rectify that situation in the next year or two, what are the five courses I absolutely have to see, and could you suggest them in the order that makes travel most feasible?

What American golf course you've never played most intrigues you, and why?

Thanks!!

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »
Thanks for all the info.

I noticed you're a reader, and since you're a math guy by training, I thought I'd throw out two suggestions:

Fiction: Improbable - by Adam Fawer - I went to school with this guy, though I didn't know him, even though apparently we were neighbors (he mentions where he lived in his acknowledgments). A sci-fi thriller, it's a fun read, particularly if you're mathematically inclined.

Non-fiction: Journey Through Genius - probably the best non-fiction book I've ever read, with each chapter introducing a seminal problem in math, giving a little background, a non-rigorous sketch of the proof, and then a brief synopsis of ensuing work in related fields.

-----
More questions:

How does being a pro in Ireland compare to being a pro in the US?

Any trips planned in the near future?

I think many people would love a My Home Course writeup on Cork, should you feel so inclined.

:)

Thanks for the reading suggestions George.

Like anywhere being a pro is all dependant on the club you're at.

I'm probably going to be in the US again at the end of october/beginning of november, it's looking like a California trip starting in San Francisco and heading off down the coast. The trip will end up in Florida where I'm doing a teaching course for a couple of days.

I've been considering a My Home Course writeup for a while. I'll have a bit more time in the winter so I'll do it then.

- Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 05:49:52 PM »
I never bite at these threads, but I will for Padraig:

OK, Padraig...the Cheater Line...Tool of Satan/early sign of the Apocalypse or golf revolution for the good of all mankind equivalent to Gutenberg's printing press and the semiconductor?

Shivas, I don't know if I should answer this, but I do use a line on my ball, it does help me line up. The line helps me position my eyes so I can see a straight line better.

However I don't think the line should be blamed for slow play, you will always get players who have no idea how to play quickly, be ready to play when it's their turn etc. It is possible to use the line and play quickly. The main tours have set the standard on how to play slowly and it should have been dealt with a long time ago but it never has.

- Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 05:52:44 PM »
Ronan O'Gara or Johnny Sexton for Ireland?

All time GAA Great - Bernard Flynn or Tommy Carr?

Johnny Giles or Roy Keane?

Rory

I'm going to go for Ronan O'Gara. He's a member at Cork!

Al time GAA great, it has to be Jimmy Barry Murphy, could never be a Meathman or a Dub.

As a Corkonian I have to go for Roy Keane as well!!!

- Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 05:56:58 PM »

Don't you think the site should raise money for you to go to Bandon for THe KP next year?

Do you have a white belt?

Played Cruden Bay?

Favorite Irish food?

Anthony

Anthony

I would prefer to pay my own way to Bandon.

I haven't gotten to Cruden Bay. I've spent a lot of time in the UK and played a lot of golf but have only played 3 courses while not playing in a tournament, Alwoodley, Wentworth East and Luffness New.

Favourite Irish food would be my Grandmother's Beef Stew.

- Pablo Picasso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back