News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

As some of you may know, Australia is switching to the USGA system of Scratch Rating an Slope Rating.

A couple of days ago, I participated in a rating training day and then we rated ssome golf holes. There was much discussion in particular to what defines a tier on a green. th e'experienced' raters, those that have been doing it since April and are insturcting and training others, seem to believe that only a traditional front and back plateau (or left & right)defines a tier.

Some argued that an area that qualifies with at least 2 foot slope, and has a number of pin positions, is indeed a tier, that requires hitting a shot to or a challenging putt up/down to.

Are there any long time experienced USGA raters on here that could provide further explanation?  I discussed it with our course architect who believed that a number of the greens were tiered.

Below is the definition from the training manuals:
TIER:
"A tier is a plateau. To be tiered, a green must have a minimum of two definite plateaus of surfce area, separated by a two-foot or greater elevation difference. The elevation change area must include at least 50% of either the width or depth of the green. Two plateaus with one ‘ramp’ equates to two tiers. Three plateaus with two ‘ramps’ equates to three tiers. A ball will not normally remain at rest on the ramp from one tier to another.”

Thanks
BM
@theflatsticker

Mike_Young

Re: What defines a 'tier' on a green - for USGA Slope rating purposes?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 04:55:22 AM »
Brett,
I have no idea how to define a tier for such.

BUT:
I do think tiers are one of the main features that have defined the modern golf green and the modern approach to the game.  Even though there were some famous tiers (IMHO) on older courses such as # 16 at Pasatiempo it was still part of the overall strategy to keep the ball below the hole.  Once we got to the JN era he seemed to value the correct distance more so and thus it seems (IMHO) that tiers entered the game much more than in the past.  This allowed for a green to have the same fall from back to front but it also allowed for faster greens and it placed greater emphasis on hitting a shot a specific distance whether a few yards left or right vs. placing the ball under the hole on a green with constant slope.  On the tiered green you could have a straight putt rom all around the hole whereas on a sloped green one could be five feet left or right of the pin and have a much more difficult putt than the golfer that placed his shot five yards under the hole.

In you definition it says:  TIER:
"A tier is a plateau. To be tiered, a green must have a minimum of two definite plateaus of surfce area, separated by a two-foot or greater elevation difference. The elevation change area must include at least 50% of either the width or depth of the green. Two plateaus with one ‘ramp’ equates to two tiers. Three plateaus with two ‘ramps’ equates to three tiers. A ball will not normally remain at rest on the ramp from one tier to another.”  this can make for a huge green....

My question:  Are they saying  a tiered green is more difficult than a green with the same fall from back to front but just a single slope?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:16:44 AM »
Mike:

Yes, they are saying a tiered green is a tougher "target" than a sloped green ... though the sloped green might rate more difficult for putting.

It's just one of many little issues in the Slope rating guide which add up to a gaping hole in really determining how difficult a course will be.

FWIW, I never thought about Jack's designs revolving around trying to make the target smaller, but you are right, judging from the way I've seen him draw things ... he separates the areas and doesn't think of the green as one big surface.  I had always just thought that increased green speeds led to softer pin placements, and therefore to build a green in a sloped area you had to take up the elevation change from front to back with a tier.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
For a mental pictuer of a tier, think about a McDonald/Raynor/Banks "double plateau." For a 50's and 60's perspective, I would suggest (for US folks) something by Red Lawrence, perhaps UNM South or Desert Forest. I think the definition pretty much says it all, however. Tiers make for smaller targets and having to estimate changing speeds during the putt. Those two challenges are much more difficult for a bogey golfer than a scratch golfer.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Bob Harris

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:31:54 PM »
Mike:

Yes, they are saying a tiered green is a tougher "target" than a sloped green ... though the sloped green might rate more difficult for putting.

It's just one of many little issues in the Slope rating guide which add up to a gaping hole in really determining how difficult a course will be.

Not exactly.  There are two obstacle values that are effected by a tier.  The green surface obstacle value is determined by the slope, contour and stimpmeter reading.  The existence of a tier would increase the value by 1 for the Bogey rating only, with no effect on the scratch rating.   The green target value is determined by the size of the green and the length of the approach shot.  If the green has any of these features, high contour, steep slope or tier, the value is increased.  Basically, for rating purpose, making the green a smaller target.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back