News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

In line with Rob’s suggestion, I post three questions on the subject

a)   Should fellow GCA.com Members request The Courtesy of the Course from fellow members or wait until invited?
b)   Should fellow Members unknown to the individual they are approaching be considered to have the right for a courtesy?
c)   Should there be a policy statement that defines what is or is not acceptable when seeking access to another Members Club/course? If so please can you submit any suggestions in the hope of resolving this matter once and for all.

Rob, I think your suggestion of a post on the subject is right. By defining what is or is not acceptable, then in future one just has to direct all requests to check out that post which hopefully confirms the members position on the matter. It does not necessary have to be this one but I thought I would start the ball rolling.

In light of Ran’s recent comments I wonder if we should still be referring this action as AW. I, IMHO find the term rather vulgar and basic thus not befitting a Golf DG and certainly not the one from GCA.com. However I bow to the majority opinion on this. I just ask for some thoughts as we are addressing the world.

As this is a serious subject and clearly has ripped into the hearts of some on this DG, I would respectfully call for sensible suggestions, however again that’s down to the majority to decide.   

Melvyn

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

I think GCA.com members (who may have/have not met) should wait until they are invited.

I don't think this just applies to GCA.com members. Say for example I planned to play a round at my home club and happened to bump into a visitor from another club at the 1st tee. We play 18 holes together, get on well and have a drink in the bar afterwards. I don't think it would be appropriated for me to ask that visitor if I could play as a guest at his/her club sometime. It's acceptable to suggest that we meet up and play some other time, but it's up to the visitor to suggest if he/she wishes to have me as a guest. You wait until you're asked.

I don't think there is any need for a policy; it's pretty straightforward to me.

Melvyn Morrow

Donal

It seems that you have not read the topic posted by Jeff Fortson  "Has GCA.com jumped the shark" and a few others in the last few days.

While I agree with you others seem to have other ideas which seem to upset many on here.

Melvyn

Sean_A

A) No, not unless you know the chap well enough.  That said, despite my unwillingness to request access from strangers, I am happy to host folks on this board so please don't hesitate to ask me.    

B) No.

C) No.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jason Connor

We have a policy and a good one:  GCA.com is not to be used for this purpose.

Any other policy would basically mean that by joining GCA.com you are also inviting strangers to your club.

Some gentleman here have made it known that they offer an open invitation to host their fellow GCA.com members. 

The current rule is simple: Wait until you are asked.
And some gentlemen have basically asked broadly.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Patrick_Mucci

A) No, not unless you know the chap well enough.  

Sean,

Agreed.

First and foremost, you should have a relationship with the member.
Making the request, absent any prior relationship, is inappropriate.

That said, despite my unwillingness to request access from strangers, I am happy to host folks on this board so please don't hesitate to ask me.    

Agreed.
I've hosted dozens and dozens of participants on this board.
But, calls out of the blue, from strangers is inappropriate.

The entire issue isn't rocket science, it's common courtesy.
And there's no reason to reinvent the wheel or create a "code of conduct"
Just use common sense, which apparently, isn't so common.

B) No.

C) No.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back